HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2002, 11:13 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
FLIGHT REPORT: Yet another P-51: Hobby Lobby's geared s400 Profile P-51

Original Post, with model description:

Weight with a 600 AE pack (8, instead of the 10 recommended by the manufacturer, as I like 6v motors instead of 7.2v): 575 grams/20 1/2 ounces...11.5 ounces/square foot flying weight.

This is about 39 inches span, 31+ inches long...a Large model, to me, for s400.

Manufacturered by Klein Aviatik in Czech Republic, model has a unique (and patented) wing attachment method, which allows one to take the wings off to travel...or when landing suddenly.

The wing attachment also allows two different dihedral angles...just slip out the one set of braces, insert the other two, put the wing panels back on, fly again in about 2 minutes.

Should be able to fly Saturday, as the weather forecast shows sun and clouds - in this area, that means SOMETIME one will be able to fly. Today, wind was too high and gusting; tomorrow, I need to work - not being independently wealthy sure cuts into one's flying time.

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Last edited by Terry; Dec 22, 2002 at 02:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2002, 07:54 AM
Massachusetts
Joined Mar 2002
258 Posts
Terry,

Good luck with the maiden flight! I am interested to hear how it flys.....I'm always on the lookout for nicely made, scale, s400 planes. I'd be interested in seeing the pics when you have them.

Piper
Piper is offline Find More Posts by Piper
Old Dec 20, 2002, 09:52 AM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Piper -

This one is Very nicely made...but Profile scale - not for the Purist.

It is ready to go, pulls 11 amps on a fresh pack...Pray for cleared skys and mild (at most) breezes on Saturday!

Terry
Old Dec 20, 2002, 11:09 AM
CA
Joined Aug 2002
876 Posts
Can't wait to hear how it fly's... the video looks promising.

Hank
Hankstone is offline Find More Posts by Hankstone
Old Dec 22, 2002, 02:54 AM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
What a Flyer!

No Pix yet, but took some after the first flight.

First Flight: Rock Solid; hand launch even w/semi-symmetrical wing is a push while standing. Motor is new, did not break it in, and it would not loop...also, have not experimented yet with props. It flys slowly, and is quite gentle until you push the controls hard (70% reverse expo on ailerons; 30% on Elev).

And...it is too tame for me. I like 80+ watts/pound,and now that I know it is such a solid flyer, I will stick the cobalt 400 in it as soon as Kirk @New Creations gets it back to me. If I like it a Lot, with the cobalt 400, then I will call Dave AirWays and get that brushless geared combo and Really wring it out.

Pictures when the company network comes back on line

Terry
Old Dec 22, 2002, 03:05 AM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,561 Posts
Terry,
Glad to hear she flew well for you. Why dont you put one of those nice purple motors on the front of the Pro 'Stang. That'll make her fly with "authority"

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is online now Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 22, 2002, 07:58 AM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
Terry

I am glad that your plane flys solidly. Had you used the setup that was recommended, 7.2V Speed 400 in a 2.33/1 MP Jet GB, 10 cells, and a 9x6 APC prop, you would not have had the power problems that you reported. With the above recommended items this plane will fly huge loops from level flight. Has enough power for extended knife edge and is a blast to fly.

Is this the only power set up that will give great results, of course not, but does give you a great flying plane. Brushless is a fine way to go, but one of the real beauties of this model is that it will perform exceptionally well without having to spend that much.

I'm glad that you liked the model, let us know how it all turns out.

Mike Hines
Hiflyer is offline Find More Posts by Hiflyer
Old Dec 22, 2002, 10:39 AM
CA
Joined Aug 2002
876 Posts
I couldn't wait any longer (wanted someone else to go first), so I flew mine yesterday. Recommended setup and I did break in the motor... I only had one pack and didn't have time to recharge so I only had one flight. It was short, due to my running at full throttle the whole time (I was excited and blanked out), also it was a new pack so it might need break in...

I don't have the skills to really put this bird to the test or the experience to really evaluate it, but I will say I thought she flew quite nicely. As Mike said, plenty of power... yes, big loops... did a couple rolls and snap rolls and no juice left...

I would also say this is an easy to fly plane IMHO. I've gone from a Slowstick to a Playboy, then RareBear (didn't last long,first aileron plane), to a Zero, now the profile Mustang (all in about 3-4 months). I'm hopeful this will be a good plane to learn acrobatics on...

One question Mike... Using the rubberband to hold the battery pack in is awkward, any alternative ideas for securing?

Part of the problem is the pack itself. The one in the pictures looks like

||||||||||

But the one Hobby Lobby sent me is like

=====

This pack won't fit standing up as in the picture, it's too tall. I have to lay it on it's side, I made a tray out of foam to hold it in, but I don't really like it...

Hank
Old Dec 22, 2002, 01:28 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Hank,

I just did not want to trust a model to a rubber band holding in my radio link to it (the battery), so I glued a one inch x five inch piece of light ply across the bottom of the "battery hole" ion the fuselage - pix will show it, tomorrow. Then I put hook & loop on the battery pack and the ply, and have something I trust to hold the battery in place.

Hey - I'm iconoclastic. Some things I just don't believe in...having had rubber bands deteriorate before, when they were supposed to be holding wings on.

Mike, Thanks for the note - I just did not want to buy a motor, deal with pressing on a gear, and have to buy another pack...and maybe have to shelve them like the others on the shelf. I also knew that if the model flew well, it would get the cobalt because I know the watts the s400's put out don't let me do what I want. And I suspect it must be frustrating for you to know something works well, then have someone note "it didn't loop" when you know very well it can do that and more. My regrets.

Terry
Old Dec 22, 2002, 01:34 PM
CA
Joined Aug 2002
876 Posts
I'll be making a battery tray tonight... A nice brushless would be very cool.... Which purple motor/gearbox/esc would be appropriate?
Old Dec 22, 2002, 01:44 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Paul's the purple motor go-to guy...I will be substituting an MPI cobalt 400 at first - since I have it.

(or will, when Kirk is done looking it over and replacing the brush springs. Ever get a motor hot enough to crystalize the bends in brush springs? But it sure turned a 10x5 nicely!)

Any Pix? Is yours the amber/yellowish color, too?

Terry
Old Dec 22, 2002, 01:58 PM
CA
Joined Aug 2002
876 Posts
Yeah, same color... Here's a pic....
Old Dec 23, 2002, 12:57 AM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,561 Posts
Terry, I'm getting that B20 15L 4:1 on Friday, might be a good motor to try in the 'Stang. Run it on 8 1100 Hecells, it should fly it very well.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is online now Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 02, 2003, 04:14 PM
CA
Joined Aug 2002
876 Posts
I did up the battery tray, very happy with the retention now.... flew several times on New Years day, really like it... but I think it/me wants more power...

Thanks for the idea on the tray, MUCH better....

Hank
Old Jan 02, 2003, 09:09 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
My Mustang

Hank,

Here's the pix of my Mustang...same color as yours...shows the side of the battery pack mounting plate. Never did get time and weather at the same time for a better shot.

This is my first pix post to ezone...I will be analyzing how it comes out, before I post the pix of the Tiger Moth!

OOOPPPSSS - "File Too Big" - Darn! And I cropped it as much as I can. How can I fix, do you know?

Paul - Did you want to loan that B20 while you go to school, to put into the Mustang? Huh? Huh? You'll be too busy working on the "C" project to fly, right?

Terry