SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 19, 2002, 09:10 PM
Sandston Va USA
Joined Mar 2001
294 Posts
Bi-plane slow stick

I just bought another slow stick and used the wing to make a bi-plane slow stick. The wings are about six inches apart and the top wing is about 2 inches in front of the bottom wing.

My question is concerning the correct position of the CG. Would the CG still be figured on the bottom wing and in the same position or would it be moved a little forward because of the 2 inch leading edge of the top wing.

Thanks for any help.

Ps the dual wings really look cool on this plane and the wing loading should be only around 2.5 oz..Should fly pretty slow...
busheadfox is offline Find More Posts by busheadfox
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2002, 09:28 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Check out BoomerAce's SSBipe here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=66921

And RMason's Here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=76310
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Dec 19, 2002, 10:39 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
My top wing is between 8 and 9 inches above and 4 inches in front of the lower wing! From my original CG of 100mm back from the leading edge for my top wing my new CG moved back about 1 inch from that point on the top wing and it flys great! My first try I tried to move it back 2 inches or about half the 4 inch diff in the wing offset and almost crashed the sucker it was so unstable! Also be sure your top wing is at least 1/8 inch more in the measurements between the wings measured on the trailing edge than between the wings on the leading edge! IE: measure leading edge to leading edge and then trailing edge to trailing edge and you should be 1/8" longer on the trailing edge measurement! Top wing should have a little negative camber!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Dec 20, 2002, 11:02 AM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
My top wing is 2" ahead of the botom wing and the CG is betwen 4 3/4 and 5" behind the leading edge of the top wing.

My first flight was interesting also. Had the CG way too far back and it would do a parachute decent. 0 forward speed and vertical, wings level decent. Nedless to say pitch was very sensitive. I have flown it this way on purpose a couple of times for fun. People look at it funny when it does the helicopter impersonation

Rob

Oh by the way - It flies very slow with the single motor and 2.3 oz. wing loading. Perfect for indoor or calm days. Max speed 5 mph.

Using the twin wing, vertical performance is possible, and it will still slow down to nothing. Make sure you increase the sise of the rudder for more response at lower speeds.
RMason is offline Find More Posts by RMason
Last edited by RMason; Dec 20, 2002 at 11:06 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2002, 11:11 AM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
Here's a pic of mine in flight
RMason is offline Find More Posts by RMason
Old Dec 20, 2002, 12:04 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
R Mason,
If you get a chance post a pic of your attachment detail for the motor mounts out on the wing! I have been toying with doing a SS Crazy Max and wanted to use twins for the power!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace