SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 16, 2001, 01:39 AM
Reno, Nevada, U.S.A.
Joined Aug 2000
42 Posts
Zagi-Cam Video is available

Okay, I just posted some video from our little Zagi-cam system. It is a little grainy, and it is around four megabytes in size (~20-30 minute download), but it does exist. Make sure you have Windows Media Player version 7, otherwise it will not run. It is a simple flight on my little Zagi around a field near our house (though the field is being developed with houses now... ) I'll actually construct a page one of these days to show what the setup looks like, but in the meantime: www.scs.unr.edu/~benc/ac1.asf
Ben Carman is offline Find More Posts by Ben Carman
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2001, 02:03 AM
Joined Jan 1999
14 Posts
What video system did you use and how much was it? I tried one of those $100.00 Plantraco B&W units and couldn't get more than 20 ft. away from the video reciever. Looks like your vid quality is very good. I'd like to put one of those on my Twinjet!
soundog is offline Find More Posts by soundog
Old May 16, 2001, 10:27 AM
Reno, Nevada, U.S.A.
Joined Aug 2000
42 Posts
It is actually a small MPEG-4 vid cam that we attached on to a standard Zagi canopy, complete with modified power cable to feed off of the main battery. My dad got it on auction dirt cheap for another project, but since it wasn't capable of high enough resolutions, we found another use for it. It is a Sharp camera, model VN-EZ1. To be honest, I'm not sure where one could find the little guy anymore: sharp doesn't even list it on their web site!
As for Specs, this flight was on my little 'ol Zagi, using a Permax 480 motor, 8x500 battery pack, and an otherwise stock configuration (except for an aluminum arrow epoxied into the body to add support). The majority of flights, however, were on my brother's Zagi, which has a standard 400 and (most frequently) powered by 8x600 packs. As stated before, I'll post some pictures of the setup in a bit, hopefully on a full-blown site!

[This message has been edited by Ben Carman (edited 05-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Ben Carman (edited 05-16-2001).]
Old May 16, 2001, 03:36 PM
Mesa, Az, USA
Joined Mar 2001
26 Posts
I'm running Media 7 and your video errors out after hmmm, 7 seconds of play. I can see the launch and a little of the flight....
Slice is offline Find More Posts by Slice
Old May 16, 2001, 04:03 PM
I have no friends
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Dec 1996
3,390 Posts
Same here on the Media Player 7.0
mt_100 is offline Find More Posts by mt_100
Old May 16, 2001, 08:08 PM
Fun Flyin
Escondido, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
289 Posts
same here
funflyer is offline Find More Posts by funflyer
Old May 16, 2001, 11:05 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2000
221 Posts
same error
emaij is offline Find More Posts by emaij
Old May 17, 2001, 04:40 AM
Crusty Banana-Sniffer
OXON, UK
Joined May 2001
61 Posts
same here
Smifta is offline Find More Posts by Smifta
Old May 17, 2001, 10:14 AM
Reno, Nevada, U.S.A.
Joined Aug 2000
42 Posts
Understood. I think there was a minor glitch in the upload process. I will commence a new upload right now. Sorry about that...
Old May 17, 2001, 11:26 AM
Reno, Nevada, U.S.A.
Joined Aug 2000
42 Posts
Here ya go: www.scs.unr.edu/~benc/ac1.zip
Right click on it and hit "save as" if it gives you some grief. Also, you now need a zip decompression program to open the file (i.e. winzip). Sorry about the problem: I didn't specify binary mode transfers in FTP previously!

[This message has been edited by Ben Carman (edited 05-17-2001).]
Old May 17, 2001, 10:02 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2000
221 Posts
cool

but i was hoping the landing would be included

can you describe the modification you did to source the power from the battery?

[This message has been edited by emaij (edited 05-17-2001).]
emaij is offline Find More Posts by emaij
Old May 18, 2001, 10:42 PM
Westchester County, NY, USA
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
Ben, Great video. It made me want to take the Zagi out of storage and throw a camera on it. I'd like to know how you used the onboard batteries to power the camera also. Since the camera requires 6 volts did you run it off a 7 or 8 cell pack...and that extra voltage worked without damaging the camera?
For those looking for a place to buy the camera, and it ain't cheap, Amazon has it for $279.99. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...472067-8942933

I actually did a search and found it for as much as $700.00. I guess they weren't told the camera has been discontinued. For PCWorld review, which was a negative review: http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article.asp?aid=11930

For more info on the camera: http://www.sharp-world.com/sc/gaiyou/news-e/990317.html

I have a Canon G1 digital that takes 30 second movies with sound, but I think I'll wait till I see one on Ebay for about 100.00, and save my $800.00 Canon for less dangerous trips.
Danny Troy is offline Find More Posts by Danny Troy
Old May 20, 2001, 12:16 AM
Reno Nev.
Joined Jan 2001
86 Posts
Ben,
Where do you fly at? There are a bunch of us zagi nuts out a Rancho San Refeal every weekend and just about every day for lunch during the week. You should come by.
Mike
Pepsi Mike is offline Find More Posts by Pepsi Mike
Old May 20, 2001, 04:16 PM
Reno, Nevada, U.S.A.
Joined Aug 2000
42 Posts
I'll see if I can. I just took out my new PJC for its trial runs this morning (nickname: "Zerstoerer"), and I was quite pleased with its speed and climb out on a 480 n500 9.6v pack. I just need to increase the throws, though, as they are too slow for my tastes. My brother's gas-Zagi conversion has been redone in a pusher config , though the balance is somewhat screwed now. We're about to go test the little guy. Just so you know, we're the Zagi guys you hear about out in Hidden Valley! Dad (Gary Carman on the board), Greg, and I all fly up there, engaging in some vicious combat and other insane maneouvers (and some spectacular crashes). Are you one of the guys in Rancho San Rafel that have one of those Astro 020 motors? I heard those things scream! Once our fleet is fully operational, we may just have to swing on by RSR park sometime! It'd be nice to have some grass to land on for once!
Old May 20, 2001, 11:29 PM
Reno Nev.
Joined Jan 2001
86 Posts
I have a colbalt in my Zagi, but we do have a guy with the 020. He had to send it in for repair after a bad crash. Another friend of mine was flying his PJ today and he was having the same problems, not enough throw.
Yes you should come buy some time, I would love to see that gas version zagi. We even have pylons set up some times.
Mike
Pepsi Mike is offline Find More Posts by Pepsi Mike