HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2007, 05:02 AM
Scale Aircraft Designer
Hertfordshire
Joined Apr 2005
597 Posts
Build Log
PND Build - DH110 Sea Vixen

I have decided to enter the build-off with the De Havilland 110 Sea Vixen. I propose the model will have a 50” wing span and will be powered by two Wemotec 480 fan units with Mega 16/15/2 or 16/15/3’s.

It will have small 600 series spring air retracts and if possible flaps as well.

If I am unable to fit the fan units in at 50” then I will increase the model until the units fit. Due to the size of the intakes and the formula for Intake/Fan wet area/Exhaust I might have to fit a blow-in door or cheat hole. Target AUW is 3kgs.

At this point I would like to thank Alex Cornish-Trestrail for all the detailed information on the DH110.

Philip Noel
Professional multi engine EDF category
philip noel is offline Find More Posts by philip noel
Last edited by philip noel; Jun 20, 2008 at 03:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2007, 05:52 AM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
Love that too

Looking forward, have you started drawing yet? , had been wanting to do this plane for a while. are you doing the trad Royal Navy camouflage.
xterarc is offline Find More Posts by xterarc
Old Dec 28, 2007, 06:49 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,915 Posts
Excellent Phil,I just love the Sea Vixen-was going to draw some plans of my own, but new baby means little time..

Can't wait to see more progress
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Dec 28, 2007, 07:30 AM
Scale Aircraft Designer
Hertfordshire
Joined Apr 2005
597 Posts
Hi Matt,

Congrats mate, what type is it, it is a dolly pusher or model aircraft bender.

Well now i can save you time with designing mate, would be so good for you to build one of my models AGAIN (Mirage 5).

Hi xterarc,

Of course it will be done in the Royal Navy Camo, i thought it was the law to paint it in that scheme

As for starting the drawing, no i have not, i will start it this weekend hopefully so i can get some basic designs on paper, should take about 25hr to finish design work. Hopefully mid Jan you should be able to see something coming together.

Phil
Old Dec 28, 2007, 10:20 AM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
<<should take about 25hr to finish design work>>

Do you live on amphetamines or what

It takes me at least a couple of weeks to do a simple central crutch based design , on the other hand I only can dedicate one or two hours a day
xterarc is offline Find More Posts by xterarc
Old Dec 28, 2007, 10:34 AM
Scale Aircraft Designer
Hertfordshire
Joined Apr 2005
597 Posts
Hi,

25hr is quite a long time for me, being Professional aviation (full size) designer helps a little.

The DH103 Hornet took 25hrs, DH98 Mosquito took 30hrs to design.

When you get into the zone you can get a lot done.

Phil
Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:55 AM
Expat Canuck
Faial, Azores
Joined Oct 2006
550 Posts
The DH 110 has mixed memories for me; I was at the Farnborough Air Display when one of the prototypes was involved in a horrendous accident. http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/2981786.stm

On the other hand it is a very interesting looking plane—the lopsided canopy is particularly endearing.

Roly
Milhafre is offline Find More Posts by Milhafre
Old Dec 28, 2007, 02:37 PM
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Oct 2004
189 Posts
SWEEEEET!
looking forward to seeing this thing fly as I always have loved the SeaVixen, i too have been thinking of doing one in depron, but don't really have the smarts to design, scratch build one. Google pix of the "red bull" vixen, i've found awesome pictures of that paint scheme. I used to have a Bob Dively models vixen about 18yrs ago, .60 powered and it flew awesome! Good luck
Z
jzuniga is offline Find More Posts by jzuniga
Old Dec 28, 2007, 02:41 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,915 Posts
Thanks Phil,it's a little girl called Freija,apple of her daddys eye (nearly 5 months old now) Not bending planes yet!
I'd be extremely happy to build a Sea Vixen, your Mirage 5 was a nice build, but this time can I have a set of laser cut parts pleeeaaassse!!

Of course,a Martin B-26 Marauder would be a dead cet build for me too!
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Jan 03, 2008, 08:47 AM
Scale Aircraft Designer
Hertfordshire
Joined Apr 2005
597 Posts
Well currently i have only been able to spend 3.25hrs on the design of the Sea Vixen but progress is good. The basic design construction has been developed. All i need to finish off now are the bulkheads and ribs.

You should note that the L/H side is the Airpower 70mm fan unit and on the R/H side is the Wemotec 480 fan unit. I have both units in stock so until i start building the model i do not know which one to use.

Please see attached.

Phil
Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:32 AM
Scale Aircraft Designer
Hertfordshire
Joined Apr 2005
597 Posts
Well the drawings are now complete and tonight i should be able to finish all the parts. Its taken a total of 20 hours to get to this stage and i am very pleased with the results.

She will have a 50" wing span and powereed by two Airpower 70mm fan units running 4S. AUW is estimated to be 3.75lbs.

Airpower or spring air retracts and she will be in three parts, outer wing panels being seperate.

I have attached the drawings in pdf format

Phil

PS I have just started designing the Gloster Meteor, 42" and 46" version
Old Jan 24, 2008, 06:47 PM
Fly2Build.com
Redding,California
Joined Dec 2003
2,606 Posts
Beautiful job Phillip. I'm impressed with your design speed as well. Obviously your professional life is complimenting your hobby. That's wonderful.

I'm looking forward to watching it take shape!

Mike
scratchnhover is offline Find More Posts by scratchnhover
Old Jan 29, 2008, 06:14 PM
Scale Aircraft Designer
Hertfordshire
Joined Apr 2005
597 Posts
Well the Building starts today, well nearly, as you will see by the photo's and masking tape I have dry assembled the model just to make sure everything is ok.

I must say she is looking fine and the weight of all the wood is 400grams so it is looking good.

anyway enjoy and tomorrow i will be starting the build for real

Phil
Old Jan 29, 2008, 06:21 PM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
That looks much too complicated , but it also looks great !
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Old Jan 29, 2008, 06:26 PM
Fly2Build.com
Redding,California
Joined Dec 2003
2,606 Posts
Very nice Phil. I think I could stare at her for quite some time without losing interest. Looks like something out of a Sci-fi movie and an amazing use of lightening holes and minimalistic structures. With your background you obviously know what you can get away with here and there....I'm taking notes!

I see you're a machinist as well. Ooooh, I'm looking forward to some very scale pieces the anticipation is building!!

Mike
scratchnhover is offline Find More Posts by scratchnhover