RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2007, 09:07 PM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
9,746 Posts
That is cool but I was kind of disappointed when I saw the propeller in the back. I was hoping it was an EDF (electric ducted fan) with 2 fan units. Now that would be really cool.

Dave
DWA is online now Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2007, 09:56 PM
Thatsright I drankthe rum
USA, MN, Robbinsdale
Joined May 2006
1,343 Posts
lets see it fly
K9000wner is offline Find More Posts by K9000wner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dututh Air Show
Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:23 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWA
That is cool but I was kind of disappointed when I saw the propeller in the back. I was hoping it was an EDF (electric ducted fan) with 2 fan units. Now that would be really cool.

Dave
Why just two? The Viper has 3 engine nacelles. Ive been contemplating building a viper myself and yes it would be an EDF. For a test project, 3 x A-10 nacelles could be used.
You could also use differential thrust for both helping to turn without isntalling a rudder as well as some elevator assist. Realistically speaking, you could set it up with no moving control surfaces....it would turn kinda slow maybe, but would work still. The two bottom motors would be used for stearing as well as up elevator input. The top motor would be down force for down elevator while the two bottom ones would slow down with the stick movement thus allowing the top motor to be pushing more forcing the nose down.

The small elevons on the wing panels might need the motor assist described above to get enouhg up or down movement...who knows...could be porgrammed to a switch to trun that on or off.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Dec 27, 2007, 11:03 PM
-+- PhlatBoyz -+-
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2003
1,333 Posts
Unreal great job!!! Have you guys tried her out yet?
Mark
kram242 is offline Find More Posts by kram242
Old Dec 28, 2007, 12:10 AM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
9,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq
Why just two? The Viper has 3 engine nacelles. Ive been contemplating building a viper myself and yes it would be an EDF. For a test project, 3 x A-10 nacelles could be used.
You could also use differential thrust for both helping to turn without isntalling a rudder as well as some elevator assist. Realistically speaking, you could set it up with no moving control surfaces....it would turn kinda slow maybe, but would work still. The two bottom motors would be used for stearing as well as up elevator input. The top motor would be down force for down elevator while the two bottom ones would slow down with the stick movement thus allowing the top motor to be pushing more forcing the nose down.

The small elevons on the wing panels might need the motor assist described above to get enouhg up or down movement...who knows...could be porgrammed to a switch to trun that on or off.

I was thinking 3 EDF units at first, but then I was thinking it would be to tail heavy. However with that long nose you could probably off-set the 3 motors & fan units without too much lead in the nose. I guess it could be done. I like the idea of 3, it would be faster and I like faster.

You should do it! If you do shoot me a PM and link me to your thread on it.

Dave
DWA is online now Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2007, 01:57 PM
Sarnia Ont. Canada
Joined Jul 2005
325 Posts
looks good now it's time to fly
mdw21 is offline Find More Posts by mdw21
Old Dec 28, 2007, 10:11 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWA
I was thinking 3 EDF units at first, but then I was thinking it would be to tail heavy. However with that long nose you could probably off-set the 3 motors & fan units without too much lead in the nose. I guess it could be done. I like the idea of 3, it would be faster and I like faster.

You should do it! If you do shoot me a PM and link me to your thread on it.

Dave
I will do it at some point, but have way too many projects in the pipe right now unless somehow some aprts end up coming my way
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq