to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2007, 12:08 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Fry
not crapping on your bird (hmm..thats original )
but seriously all jokes aside given your a designer of a few current thrust vector tech planes these days, and the minium series being a flop so far with the cutouts and what not, im wondering how far you'd get convincing a company to release what people have wanted for a long time

a long range, proportional thrust vectored motor/prop system with associated TX for sale as a casual hobby grade item

exactly that.. something like your bird.. minus the bird.. smaller box.. guts only

the thrust vector planes still seem to be the best in the price range and some would argue with overall functionality (they fly!) for the creative indoor/outdoor micro crowd.. while I agree theres alot of sales to be had in RTF currently.. twice the sales in both a "naked" and a flying version of this aircraft for the same production cost I dont think should be looked down upon

and fail that im going to make one of your planes into a nice powered glider anyway win win.. just.. I wish it was possible without having to spend the extra money on the injected foam and bigger box when all i want is the guts of it
What a dork, and soooo informed.

The Minium 'flop' as you call it only 'flopped' among a few people with chips on their shoulders, and most of them, like you, never owned one. People who actually bought them and fly them think otherwise. It has been named product of the year by a number of trade associations. Just because you can't drop-kick it into the air doesn't mean it is not a break-through product.

What sort of status do you expect from 'crapping' on a product that you obviously have no experience with? If you hate it it, don't buy one - vote with your money. If you are such a hot-shot, show us some of your designs that make it to market, or even into the air.

You want some thing with proportional controls and range? Try real R/C products, like Falcon's gear. Of course, you actually have to know something about modeling to use it, so I guess that is out for you. It is out of the toy market and you won't find it at Rat Shack or TRU...

Mr. Lee, I appreciate the amount of time and energy it takes to develop a design, especially one as unique as this. I also realise the frustrations that come from losing control to manufacturers who want to pinch pennies (since that is what they sell them for), and for the abuse, like this s==t, you take as a result. I applaud your willingness to discuss your products and trying to help the wuffos who buy your stuff, crash it and take it back and then complain that it won't fly.
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Dec 27, 2007, 12:34 PM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
4,000 Posts
Thanks for your kind and understanding words Mike. Although I have had to spend too much time in Chinese factories, it might be noted that Lee is actually my first name.
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Dec 27, 2007, 12:53 PM
MAD MEN QCRC
Joined Jun 2006
604 Posts
Mike, Thanks for saying what many of us think when we read some of the posts here, mostly always from the same few always negative members Glad there are so many positive and helpful people here to offset them Bill
RCBilly is offline Find More Posts by RCBilly
Last edited by RCBilly; Dec 27, 2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 04:10 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,254 Posts
Score! Animal Planet Radio Controlled Pterodactyl

Read about it this morning, I had to get 1 (I love creatures)..
I wanted to show a pic. of it $29.95 at TRU, they did not make it easy to find.
I tossed it around for a few minutes, it wobbles a bit but was very controllable once you get it's feel and it does soar around, the transmitter has trim control and turn w/out throttle, so that is totally cool + the wobble adds to it's animality.
No more to say until I fly it some more except that the directions mention spare props! and there were no clear spare props that will fit most of the micro rtf planes we play with!! man!!!
ok I will live..
Petey...

Ps Tru in Lawrenceville, GA. on 20 had 7 of these, and I cannot find a Starscream in the area!!
Machy2k is online now Find More Posts by Machy2k
Old Dec 27, 2007, 05:08 PM
Southeast PA
Joined Oct 2005
2,805 Posts
Aw man! I gotta get one. Any in the Northeast?? Thanks Lee.

A side note,,, I think that a company who could get the power packages on all these small RTF's, and sell them, could make some bucks. Cheap motors, recievers, and batteries along with the matched kits,,,, Props too!
Vario3 is offline Find More Posts by Vario3
Old Dec 27, 2007, 06:03 PM
It works, don't touch it.
Joined Dec 2007
2,935 Posts
Hi i am new here and i just bought one of these Pterodactyls in Michigan. I have not flown it yet because it is dark here, but it looks very cool. Mine also did not come with spare props and you cannot find it in the rc aisle. It is by the Animal Planet stuff.
skiesthelimit is offline Find More Posts by skiesthelimit
Old Dec 27, 2007, 06:24 PM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
4,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machy2k
I tossed it around for a few minutes, it wobbles a bit but was very controllable once you get it's feel and it does soar around, the transmitter has trim control and turn w/out throttle, so that is totally cool + the wobble adds to it's animality.
Remember, until this morning I didn't even know they'd produced or shipped this item and I certainly have NOT seen a production sample until looking at your photos. First, I'm happy to know that it flew (who knows WHAT they might have done to it in production!). It's hard to tell for sure from the photos, but it looks to me as if the legs are not splayed out enough. They could have gotten that way because of assembly or the internal plastic shipping supports in the box. At any rate, if you might want to reduce the "wobbling", try speading the legs (at the clawed foot end) so that they take more of a "Y" form (when viewed from the TOP). They act as yaw stabilizers and also as horizontal stabilizers, like an inverted "V" tail (actually / \ viewed from the rear). So you can trim L/R by bending one foot out more.... AND the more you spread them and curve the outer surface away from the centerline, the more "UP" trim you add (but be careful not to add too much and get it stalling and wobbling even more). Note: the original animal used its large brain for active flight stabilization, so be prepared to do the same!
Last edited by xlcrlee; Dec 27, 2007 at 06:45 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:21 PM
Joined May 2007
24 Posts
I bought one of these about a month ago at TRU - it was located in the science/education section along with the mini-telescopes, mineral sets, etc. I've gotta say it flies VERY well. In fact, it's probably the most balanced micro-rtf I'ev flown yet and I've got the Star Scream, Mini-XPV, Fastlane Arrow, PH and an assortment of other AA's to compare it with. Can't quite match the F22's speed, but it's faster and turns slightly tighter than the Mini-XPV. It resembles a non-flapping bat during flight. I'd love to take it out and give it a little exercise but its freezing out!
Sopdadope is offline Find More Posts by Sopdadope
Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:36 PM
Just Say No To GMO
Earth, System of Sol, Milky Way Galaxy
Joined Sep 2007
1,020 Posts
Faster than a Mini XPV? Sounds like you got a MXPV with the Center of Gravity set too far back.

Still, looks interesting...I'll have to give it a go when I have some extra cash.
demisemiquaver is offline Find More Posts by demisemiquaver
Old Dec 27, 2007, 11:07 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,254 Posts
mine seems to have range problems, returning it tomorrow for exchange...
Machy2k is online now Find More Posts by Machy2k
Old Dec 28, 2007, 04:36 AM
Joined May 2007
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demisemiquaver
Faster than a Mini XPV? Sounds like you got a MXPV with the Center of Gravity set too far back.
I actually have a fleet of Mini-XPV's (purchased two while TRU had them at $17 and another through amazon.com). To be fair, it was quite breezy that day and the Ptera sports a slimmer profile than the Mini-XPV.
Sopdadope is offline Find More Posts by Sopdadope
Old Dec 28, 2007, 04:47 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
4,000 Posts
something weird here

OK, I hope the R/C problem was just that one and that most of the rest work well. We all know and understand about these things ("cheap" Micro RTF's). But there is something strange going on. Although I designed this, as I first wrote I didn't find out that they actually made AND shipped it till yesterday morning! And I was also informed that this very first order to TRU would be the ONLY one and the LAST one, which is too bad, as I think it's a nice toy (which could be user or factory tweaked to be even better.... if we can keep the product alive). I was told that the reason TRU was dropping the item in 2008 is because of slow sales. Surely "hiding" it with the telescopes doesn't help, but I found a major reason I think: there are two reviews of it on the TRU site >> http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2796636

Read those reviews. I think there is another company trying to "kill" this toy. I can't believe that the only two "parents" that wrote would use the exact same language! Both "parents" used the SAME word "flimsy": complaining that an EPP RTF is flimsy and is "made of foam" and "won't take off" and "doesn't steer" (a CLEAR lie!) and "did not make the landing" .... and saying nothing about R/C problems, etc., just seems like some nonflyer from some company is trying to harm this product (and thus help the sales of their own). Many of you know that I have designed items for ITC and Spin Master which are now also on the market, and I have no reason to try to help one company's sales over another. For whatever reason, some folks want to keep this guy extinct! So, if you bought and flew one and liked this toy and want to help fight these people or this company with the truth, please write an honest and fair review of this on that site above.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 04:53 AM
Just Say No To GMO
Earth, System of Sol, Milky Way Galaxy
Joined Sep 2007
1,020 Posts
LOL. So it's faster than a Mini XPV, turns sharper and handles wind better. hahaha.

Yeah, ok. I gotta see this for myself. I just don't believe it, no offense.
demisemiquaver is offline Find More Posts by demisemiquaver
Old Dec 28, 2007, 04:58 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
4,000 Posts
And write an honest review for us AND one at the TRU site above, please.