SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 19, 2002, 07:41 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,949 Posts
Multiplex Royal Evo TX - charging issue

Well I now (finally) have my Xmas present to myself, a Royal Evo 9 transmitter

There seems to be a bit of an issue with charging it though.

The Evo has some pretty advanced power management facilities, it tracks what charge you put into the battery and uses this (plus the voltage and real-time power consumption rate) to predict operating time remaining. You can program in the exact (measured) capacity of your TX pack to make this even more accurate. It even takes account of self-discharge while the TX is switched off!

But .. this all relies on the pack being permanently connected to the TX, and charged via the socket on the back of the case.

All well and good so far, but the manual states that no charger capable of handling more than 8 cells (i.e. with voltage boost) may be connected to the charge socket, otherwise there is a risk that the TX circuitry may be damaged!

So you need a charger that handles 8 cells maximum, but also has adjustable delta-peak (since the Evo's pack is Nimh, 6x1500).

On that basis I can't use any of the 5 (!) chargers I have without removing the pack from the TX each time (and so losing much of the on-board power management functionality)

I emailed Multiplex yesterday to confirm this, no reply yet but will keep you posted. As you may have heard, they have just been bought by Hitec so possibly have other things on their mind!

The TX wasn't supplied with a charge lead, but the standard one is the same as came with my Cockpit MM. A different lead is needed to charge the battery directly.

BTW you can download a PDF of the full (English) Evo user manual here:

http://royalhobby.com/ROYALevo1GB.pdf

Or here (zipped version):

http://www.multiplex-rc.de/PDF/ROYALevo1GBinternet.ZIP
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2002, 09:34 AM
Turbines suck ;-)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2000
1,636 Posts
Bill

First - you !"$&^&^%*^*()(*_) - I want it too!! Problem is, I am too chicken to go and buy it before I read a few reviews!!!! Sooo
I am waiting for your review !!! I am also upgrading from an MM and as MPX are not the cheapest - I want to be sure I buy the right gear.

Second - it's a bit rude that they don't even supply a charge lead !!

I will follow tis post with interest - I once blew my MM by charging it on full auto on my Schulze - now I only use output 2 - max 500mah!

Regards
rorywquin is offline Find More Posts by rorywquin
Old Dec 19, 2002, 09:41 AM
UK
Joined Nov 2002
1,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rorywquin
Second - it's a bit rude that they don't even supply a charge lead !!
No manufacturer supplies a charging lead with a Tx only purchase!

harry
HarryC is offline Find More Posts by HarryC
Old Dec 19, 2002, 09:50 AM
UK
Joined Nov 2002
1,668 Posts
Quote:
I am also upgrading from an MM and as MPX are not the cheapest - I want to be sure I buy the right gear.
Are you sure?!! Futaba 8+1Z with Rx combo approx 950, RE true 9 channel with Rx, twice as many memories as 8+1Z and frequency synthesiser approx 440.

Or JR PCM 10 with Rx approx 900, RE12 with 20% more channels, (and real channels too, not reduced update and reduced resolution like JR), 260% more memories with frequency synth approx 630.

Mpx is an outrageous bargain. Don't compare Mpx to FF9 or 3810 prices, they are 3 leagues below the RE in capability.

Harry
HarryC is offline Find More Posts by HarryC
Old Dec 19, 2002, 10:16 AM
Turbines suck ;-)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2000
1,636 Posts
Harry

No dispute - just waiting for reviews from the horses mouth !!! Are you going to give in and buy one ?
Old Dec 19, 2002, 10:26 AM
Joined Nov 2000
11,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HarryC
No manufacturer supplies a charging lead with a Tx only purchase!

harry

?

I bought my Cockpit MM as TX-only, and that certainly came with the standard charge lead (Mpx part # 8 6020).

I have tried ModelSpot, West London Models, Galaxy, and Flair ... none have the TX battery direct charge lead, even though this is an existing item for the 4000 series, (Mpx part # 8 6021).
Old Dec 19, 2002, 10:36 AM
Turbines suck ;-)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2000
1,636 Posts
Bill

If it is the same as the MM they are available - try Hoellin. What worried me was the thin wires and the fact that the contact between the PCB pins and the battery would deteriorate with continually plugging and un plugging the connector ? I soldered a seperate green MPX plug onto my battery for fast charge and conditioning !!
Old Dec 19, 2002, 11:05 AM
Joined Nov 2000
11,949 Posts
Quote:
If it is the same as the MM they are available - try Hoellin.
OK, working my way down the list of MPX stockists, Slough RC Models had one.

As a fallback, I'm also getting a Jeti Mini charger which was "only" 21 ... seems to fit MPX's specs. for the Evo: 4-7 cells, nimh or nicd peak detection, output current 0.3, 0.6, or 1.5A.

I will use my Schulze for cycling/formatting the pack (disconnected from the TX), and the Jeti for normal charging through the socket.

Sigh ... that puts me up to SEVEN chargers:

Hitec 335
Super Nova
Schulze ISL 8
WES Li charger
Mainlink Delta-4 2000
Mainlink Digiliser 2000

and now Jeti Mini Peak!

(Not counting the old Mainlink "Workshop charger" and "cycler analyser")

Hmmm ... it's the club 'bring & buy' tomorrow night ...
Old Dec 19, 2002, 11:27 AM
Turbines suck ;-)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2000
1,636 Posts
It would be nice to get some first impressions of the tx once you start using it! I am sure there are many MM users thinking of upgrading that would appreciate early reviews on the RE (esp. me) .

Did you get the synth or crystal version ?

Enjoy !
Old Dec 19, 2002, 11:42 AM
Joined Nov 2000
11,949 Posts
Quote:
Did you get the synth or crystal version ?
Crystal, I've always used the same freq. for all my models (don't fly gliders so the BMFA "odd/even frequencies thing" was never an issue).

BTW according to the specs., using the synth. module increases battery draw by 15% (190 mA, versus 165 mA with the xtal one). But the pack is 1500 mAh, so not too serious!

The RF module (synth or xtal) simply plugs in, so you can swap them over if you ever want to change.

The xtal RF module for the Evo takes the same optional "channel check" unit as the Cockpit MM and Pico Line TX, I will transfer the one from my Cockpit.

Still wading through the Evo manual (60 pages!) at the moment
Old Dec 19, 2002, 06:40 PM
I "plant" trees (balsa)
Eisenschmitt, Germany
Joined Jan 2002
777 Posts
charging

Bill, I just read the German manual and I get the impression they are talking about 12V "wall warts" for that caution note. I would guess (note I say "guess") that the Schulze in manual (6 cell and less than 1.5C) would be fully acceptable. It will be interesting to see what they say.

EDITED:

I guessed wrong again! See post later in this thread.
Gary Retterbush is offline Find More Posts by Gary Retterbush
Last edited by Gary Retterbush; Dec 20, 2002 at 04:58 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2002, 08:07 PM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Glover
I will use my Schulze for cycling/formatting the pack (disconnected from the TX), and the Jeti for normal charging through the socket.
[/B]
A word of caution. I have a 4000 and used to charge the tx battery by removing it from the tx using a couple of gold connectors attached to the end of the battery. Each time I charged it I would remove the gray mpx connector. Earlier this season I noticed that the tx would not power up when switched on. A wiggle of the connector always cured the problem. One day, in flight with a 1000GBP F5B model, the low battery warning came on. I managed to land with no damage but it was a real scare. It turned out that constant removal/insertion of the gray mpx connector was the problem (corrosion, mechanical wear and tear - who can tell). I still use the gold connectors to charge the battery using my Schulze, but I DO NOT remove the mpx connector and have not had any problems since.

Hope this helps
Mike
Mike Seale is offline Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old Dec 20, 2002, 04:49 AM
Zagreb, Croatia
Joined Mar 2002
9 Posts
Hi,
according to Royal EVO manual the battery pack is not "just" battery it also has some ??? electronics instaled inside. Maybe this (what ever it is) electronics is reason for warning about charging - chargers in automatic mode may not recognize exact number of cells and by trying to high voltage may burn the builtin circuit. Just plain guessing.
Renato is offline Find More Posts by Renato
Old Dec 20, 2002, 04:53 AM
I "plant" trees (balsa)
Eisenschmitt, Germany
Joined Jan 2002
777 Posts
Okay, here it is right from the MPX Germany technician:

It is NOT okay to use the Schulze, UI, Orbit, Infinity etc high end chargers. PERIOD!

I'm not going to go into all that was said but that is the bottom line. They mean what they say. IMHO a bummer......
Gary Retterbush is offline Find More Posts by Gary Retterbush
Last edited by Gary Retterbush; Dec 20, 2002 at 04:55 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2002, 05:05 AM
Turbines suck ;-)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2000
1,636 Posts
Gary

I assume you/they mean on full auto charge - can't see any harm in setting the no of cells to 6 and limiting the current ! Or.. is this also not acceptable ?