HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2007, 12:00 PM
Rut-Roe
Canada, ON, Stouffville
Joined May 2003
151 Posts
Build Log
Forward Swept Wing with functional canard project

This is the beginning of a Build Log for an 'experimental' forward swept wing (FSW), foam, pusher prop, parkjet.

I'll include CAD files of the design along with some plans for a very simple, very inexpensive... yet very effective wing core cutter/jig. I should point out that I had never cut foam cores until last week. I sure wish I had. The wings take about 3 minutes to cut and are far superior to the Depron wings I have built. This is VERY easy stuff... and produces a VERY strong wing.

BlueFielder is offline Find More Posts by BlueFielder
Last edited by BlueFielder; Jan 04, 2008 at 01:27 PM. Reason: New Image
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2007, 12:07 PM
Rut-Roe
Canada, ON, Stouffville
Joined May 2003
151 Posts
Design Update

Please note that due to flight test results, this build will not include a night flying lighting system as original intended. The speeds of this aircraft are too fast and therefore not well suited for flying in the dark... more than once.

But there will be a couple of build versions that I think should satisfy a broad range of user building proficiencies... and budgets.
Last edited by BlueFielder; Jan 03, 2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: UPDATE
Old Dec 26, 2007, 12:42 PM
Time for another motto!
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2006
1,413 Posts
Morris code? You mean those dancers with the silly sticks in a circle have developed their own communications protocol? Morse must have stolen his 'invention' from that tradition!
JelleB is offline Find More Posts by JelleB
Old Dec 26, 2007, 01:11 PM
Rut-Roe
Canada, ON, Stouffville
Joined May 2003
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JelleB
Morris code? You mean those dancers with the silly sticks in a circle have developed their own communications protocol? Morse must have stolen his 'invention' from that tradition!
Naw.... 'William Morris'.... you know... the talent agency.
You get a secret decoder ring when you sign up.

OK... thx for the copy edit. I made the correction.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 08:51 PM
Joined Jul 2007
244 Posts
It's nice, I always wondered what would happen if you mate a Long EZ with an Xbow. This is probably their mutant child with lights. (mutant as in X-men mutant)

It's nice, I say again.

I do night flyers with translucent 2mm coroplast, I folded the wings and put LEDs inside. The LEDs light up the interior of the entire wing, giving that eerie glowing aircraft effect.

But some things bout night flying... gotta make sure the aircraft is stable and slow flying... I find it very stressful at night to fly because my craft is a flying wing and it has to go fast to be stable, that's why almost all the night craft in my area are slow sticks and easystars.

With those canards, I think your craft would be plenty stable, best of all it's un-stall-able.
Sunfire is offline Find More Posts by Sunfire
Old Dec 27, 2007, 02:38 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
This is going to be a nice project. I'm quite interesting, and will keep up with this one.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Dec 30, 2007, 05:05 PM
Rut-Roe
Canada, ON, Stouffville
Joined May 2003
151 Posts
Focal point hot wire detail

Here's a detail for the focal point hot wire cutter that I use. Focal Point cutting is VERY easy and precise if you are cutting symmetrical airfoils.
I'll post more detailed info very soon.... including the templates and some other ideas.

UPDATE: I adjusted the airfoil on the Template PDF. It's 4% larger than in first drawings. Thickness is now 1.25".

UPDATE: Added image of 'cordless' cutting bow.
Last edited by BlueFielder; Dec 31, 2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 12:59 PM
Rut-Roe
Canada, ON, Stouffville
Joined May 2003
151 Posts
Foam Cores

Note that the wing cores are made from 2 sheets of 1" ESP foam - one on top of the other. This will allow easy installation of the carbon tubes (arrow shafts) and LED lights.

Use double sided carpet tape to hold the 2 halves in place while you hot wire/cut the airfoil.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 04:18 PM
Rut-Roe
Canada, ON, Stouffville
Joined May 2003
151 Posts
2 Piece Airfoil template

I've added another version of the airfoil template.
This one uses a single 'mirrored' cut.
Much easier to cut and VERY much easier to sand smooth because the surface is 'outside'.

Since the foil is symmetrical....all you really need to cut is one side... cutting through 2 pieces of ply.
Flip one over and 'scab' the two together and you now have a much truer symmetry.
Old Jan 01, 2008, 02:37 PM
Rut-Roe
Canada, ON, Stouffville
Joined May 2003
151 Posts
VING side view

Side view images
Last edited by BlueFielder; Jan 03, 2008 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Image update
Old Jan 02, 2008, 05:17 PM
Rut-Roe
Canada, ON, Stouffville
Joined May 2003
151 Posts
Thin Wing Tip cutting solution

Although the Foam Cutter and it's methods are quite simple, I'll put some picts and notes up of how to build the wings with folded depron, for those who don't want to invest in building a foam cutter.

Hint of what's to come: Depron Fuse Forming
Go find a baseball bat!
Old Jan 03, 2008, 06:02 AM
Rut-Roe
Canada, ON, Stouffville
Joined May 2003
151 Posts
I think he's right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfire
But some things bout night flying... gotta make sure the aircraft is stable and slow flying... I find it very stressful at night to fly because my craft is a flying wing and it has to go fast to be stable, that's why almost all the night craft in my area are slow sticks and easystars.
Well, I'm going to agree with SUNFIRE. In a test with another parkjet that I quick rigged with some LEDs... it was almost impossible to keep visual orientation of the night flight, doing anything over 40MPH. With that said, I'm going to build the VING without the lighting system. <sigh>.
I hope that I still have an interested following with what I think is a nice design. I'll try to make the build log as informative, detailed and easy to follow as possible. I look forward to any input/suggestions.
Old Jan 04, 2008, 12:56 PM
Glassman
Leesburg, VA
Joined Aug 2004
517 Posts
This is a very cool concept, and I love the detail you are supplying (right down to the foam cutter).

Will be watching closely... now I gotta go steal, er... BORROW, yeah, borrow the neighbor kids baseball bat

Terry
TerryE is offline Find More Posts by TerryE