HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2008, 07:10 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarnes
You guys might want to check this out. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_79...tm.htm#7967084
What a find! I haven't started mine yet, and had planned on yanking the monokote off and fiberglassing. Thanks JB

Mark
MrN79 is offline Find More Posts by MrN79
Last edited by MrN79; Sep 19, 2008 at 08:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2008, 08:30 PM
I just love flying
Traverse City ,MI
Joined Dec 2005
898 Posts
I couldn't believe it so I went down to the workshop and examined my fuse! Great find!

Thanks!
MattZC is online now Find More Posts by MattZC
Old Sep 19, 2008, 08:08 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Now they need to post their conversion procedures/recommendations on their website like hangar 9 does.

Mark
MrN79 is offline Find More Posts by MrN79
Old Sep 21, 2008, 07:55 PM
Joined Feb 2007
91 Posts
Have not flown mine yet but intial readings are 43 amps with 905 watts running a eflite60, 60 amp eflite esc and 6s with a 16/10 prop. Still waiting on my larger battery pack before I maiden it. Did you guys need some down elevator mixed in with full flaps? Thanks, Jerry.
jbarnes is offline Find More Posts by jbarnes
Old Nov 10, 2008, 08:20 AM
hondaboy92hatch
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2005
719 Posts
T/P arf mustang

Hi all,
Has any tried an eflite 60 in the Top flite P-51? I just aquired a kit and was planning on an eflite 60 6s lipo on a 16/10. What do you think of this setup?

Thanks
Joe
hondaboy92hatch is online now Find More Posts by hondaboy92hatch
Old Nov 10, 2008, 08:35 AM
Joined Feb 2007
91 Posts
Hey Joe, I fly mine with a Eflite 60, 17x8 APC, 6s 5000 and it flys great. One of the best flying birds I've owned. I replaced the landing gear with Robarts. Running all digital servos with seperate receiver pack.

My prop selection is based on being at 5500 feet. We usually add a inch to the prop size compared to what you might run at sea level. If I remember correctly I was pulling 45 amps at full throttle.

I fly for about 7 minutes at 60% power.

Good luck, Jerry.
jbarnes is offline Find More Posts by jbarnes
Old Nov 11, 2008, 01:09 AM
hondaboy92hatch
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2005
719 Posts
P-51

Thanks Jerry,
I am in Tucson at the moment but soon movinv to vancoover washington so that is a good starting point.

Joe
hondaboy92hatch is online now Find More Posts by hondaboy92hatch
Old Nov 29, 2008, 02:42 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2005
1,934 Posts
Does not seem to be a lot of interest in this plane. I have my wings completed and going to start the fuse somtime this weekend. The ARF is really nice and has a battery hatch on top. The only thing I did not like was the retracts. They are really cheap plastic so I installed a set of air-retracts.

Matt
MattinAZ is offline Find More Posts by MattinAZ
Old Nov 30, 2008, 08:20 AM
Just Plane Crazy
United States, NY, McGraw
Joined Apr 2004
688 Posts
Matt:
You are joking, right? With over 6600 views to this thread I would say that interest is high. In my opinion, the TopFlite P-51 is the best 60 sized ARF on the market if you want a P-51.
I ordered mine form my local hobby shop. When I went to pick it up I mentioned to the owner about the built in hatch. As he was not aware of the hatch I opened the box and dug out the fuselage. The store was full of plane people at the time. By the time I got done showing the store owner the built in hatch I had a crowd around me and everyone wanted to see it as well. Once the modelers saw the ARF, the hobby shop got two more orders.
I also gave away the fuel tank and the motor mount. Someone asked me why I gave them away and my reply was “I do not need another pencil holder and I have never found a good use for the motor mounts”.

For those that are interested, my setup will be:

TURNIGY 50-65A 400kv Outrunner
2 ZIPPY-H 4000mAh 3S1P 25-35C Lipoly Pack to make 6S
16 X 10 APCe Prop
TURNIGY Plush 80A w/ UBEC Speed Controller (not going to use the BEC)
Castle 10 Amp BEC
1800 MAh 2S Lipo for RX Batt.
Robart 653 Struts
LADO 60-6 Electric Retracts (wouldn’t use anything else)

I have used this setup before and it rocks. Power output after the batteries settle in is 1085 static.

Ta Ta for now.
Paul
datazman is online now Find More Posts by datazman
Old Nov 30, 2008, 08:29 AM
Parchment, MI, U.S.A.
Joined Oct 2004
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by datazman
Matt:
You are joking, right? With over 6600 views to this thread I would say that interest is high. In my opinion, the TopFlite P-51 is the best 60 sized ARF on the market if you want a P-51.......................................
Paul
Amen. And if that isn't enough, check out this thread with over 600 posts and over 36,000 views:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7520206/tm.htm
CorsairJock is offline Find More Posts by CorsairJock
Old Nov 30, 2008, 08:46 AM
Just Plane Crazy
Joined Apr 2004
688 Posts
CorsairJack:
Well said. I also have your build thread bookmarked as reference as I build mine. NICE JOB! I really like the retractable tail wheel but have not decided weather I am going to incorporate it into mine yet. I despise having to deal with retract servos.

I am also going to use a different pilot figure. The stock one does not have enough attitude for me so I am going to use this one:

Joe Pilot

Ta Ta for now.
Paul
Old Nov 30, 2008, 09:46 AM
Fly 'em fast!
Rockville, MD
Joined Aug 2002
885 Posts
I'm in on this too. I have the kit version of this plane and it's been sitting in my shop for a few years. It will be my second. The first met a rapid demise thanks to a troublesome ST 90 engine.

The kit is a fun, but involved build. Lots of carving and sanding. I'm going to start it soon. I've been following this thread to get power ideas. I think I'm going with an AXI 4130/16, some kind of 80 Amp ESC, and a 16x10 or 17x8 prop, maybe a 4 blader. I have Century retracts already, but the electric Lado-tech retracts are looking very sweet. The CJM retracts are fantastic, but heavy. Keep the build info coming.
RCMustang is offline Find More Posts by RCMustang
Old Nov 30, 2008, 10:19 AM
Just Plane Crazy
Joined Apr 2004
688 Posts
RCMustang:
Kudo’s on the kit, I just do not have the time to put together a kit so I stick to ARF’s.
The AXI 4130/16 is a great choice for this plane and should give you great performance.
I too are thinking of a Zinger 4 blade propeller but it is just in the thinking stage right now.

LADO Retracts: When I was interested in LADO’s I searched for reviews and comments about them. I could not find any information on the internet with the exception of; they are great or they are worth the money. I took the risk by placing an order. I was so impressed with them I wrote my own review. It can be found here:

LADO Review

It may take a while to get them if you would like a pair but in my opinion it is well worth it. AND with struts and wheels weigh in at 8 or 9 ounces per pair depending on your wheel!

Ta Ta for now.
Paul
Last edited by datazman; Dec 03, 2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2008, 08:39 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2005
1,934 Posts
Yes, I am kidding sorry for the dry humor.

My setup will be

Hacker A-50 14S
Castle Creations 80
Thunderpower 6S5000
Prop ??? Going to start with 16 x 8 as with my H9 Corsair
Seperate 2000 mah NIM RX battery
Air retracts

Will post some pictures when I get a chance to do more work on the plane.

Matt

Quote:
Matt:
You are joking, right? With over 6600 views to this thread I would say that interest is high. In my opinion, the TopFlite P-51 is the best 60 sized ARF on the market if you want a P-51.
I ordered mine form my local hobby shop. When I went to pick it up I mentioned to the owner about the built in hatch. As he was not aware of the hatch I opened the box and dug out the fuselage. The store was full of plane people at the time. By the time I got done showing the store owner the built in hatch I had a crowd around me and everyone wanted to see it as well. Once the modelers saw the ARF, the hobby shop got two more orders.
I also gave away the fuel tank and the motor mount. Someone asked me why I gave them away and my reply was “I do not need another pencil holder and I have never found a good use for the motor mounts”.

16 X 10 APCe Prop
Castle 10 Amp BEC
Robart 653 Struts

I have used this setup before and it rocks. Power output after the batteries settle in is 1085 static.

Ta Ta for now.
Paul
MattinAZ is offline Find More Posts by MattinAZ
Old Dec 03, 2008, 09:35 PM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
Quote:

16 X 10 APCe Prop
Castle 10 Amp BEC
Robart 653 Struts
Ta Ta for now.
Paul
Why do you need a receiver battery and a BEC? Isn't that redundant? Not to mention the built-in switch mode BEC in the ESC and the stand-alone switch mode BEC.
Socomon is offline Find More Posts by Socomon