HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2008, 09:50 PM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
USA, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jan 2003
2,886 Posts
Just got my Lado Tech electric retracts and they look great. These are some really nice units. Unfortunately, I've decided to put my H9 1.50 P-47 together first and hopefully finish it before the fun fly at our local field at the end of this month.
drksyd is offline Find More Posts by drksyd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2008, 01:32 AM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Nice looking product. Did you purchase the optional controller with it? Would like to hear how well they retrofit into your P-51.

Mark
MrN79 is offline Find More Posts by MrN79
Old Jul 15, 2008, 02:47 AM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
USA, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jan 2003
2,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrN79
Nice looking product. Did you purchase the optional controller with it? Would like to hear how well they retrofit into your P-51.

Mark
I didn't get the controller. I wanted to try these as an alternative from CJ and Robart. I like the fact that if these do bind, it will stop and not keep drawing current.
I'll have to dig out the TF kit to test fit them in. I buried the P-51 behind some other kits when I pulled out my current build, the H9 1.50 P-47.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 01:18 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
I purchased the Robarts before i found out about the LADO's. I want to use the LADO's in my P-51 instead of the Robarts, seems as if they would be easier to install/setup and decrease the weight, one less servo etc...Lots of advantages to having the LADO retracts over the Robarts.

BTW, where do you fly in HI? I travel there at least twice a month, would be curious to come out and watch some flying on my time off.

Aloha,
Mark
Old Jul 15, 2008, 01:59 PM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
USA, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jan 2003
2,886 Posts
Mark,
You must have frequent flyer miles up the ying yang. We (the electric guys) fly out in Ewa Beach on the weekends and holidays. Some of us fly indoors on Sat at a different location but usually everyone is out at Ewa on Sun. Shoot me a pm.

Cliff
Old Jul 15, 2008, 02:24 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Cliff,
Thanks, i'll have to take a drive to Ewa Beach. I've seen a few videos of some Turbine guys flying in HI, would you know where they fly those? I have a TamJet F-18/Titan SE powered and love the sound of those turbines.

Thanks again,
Mark
Old Jul 15, 2008, 08:30 PM
I just love flying
Traverse City ,MI
Joined Dec 2005
845 Posts
CorsairJock,
I heard the event that occurred at the Mid-America Fly-in. What happened? My Uncle Tom Bacsanyi told me that you crashed it but he said he didn't see it.
I hope you look to repair it! Sorry if you didn't want people to know just tell me and I'll take away this post.

Thanks so much,

~Matt
MattZC is offline Find More Posts by MattZC
Old Jul 15, 2008, 09:41 PM
Parchment, MI, U.S.A.
Joined Oct 2004
362 Posts
Actually, I posted it in the RCU thread. It was an extremely windy day, and got worse as the day wore on. Here is what I posted at RCU:

"I crashed mine today at the Mid Am Electric Fly. The winds were very bad in the morning, and the forcast was that they would only get worse. So, I got 2 successful flights in before lunchtime. Then, being stupid, I elected to fly once more, since nobody else was that stupid at that time.
What happened had nothing to do with taking off or attempting a landing. I was making a slower turn (trying to show it's slow speed characteristics) when it abruptly rolled on it's right side, and then it's left. It was starting to dive, and it appeared that it was beginning to recover when it rolled left, then right, and went in nose first.
OK, maybe it was me, but I'm blaming it on the gusty winds. It was if it got caught in a dust devil, and maybe it did.

Damage: The damage was contained to the nose/ front of the fuselage. I have inspected the wings and they appear to have survived without any structural damage, and will only need the front fairing to be re-attached. The fuselage is totalled up to the cockpit. I will re-use the pilot and cockpit details. The spinner appears undamaged except for a slightly duller look at the nose. It 'landed' in tall grass with a soft (moist) dirt base. The motor and all electronics look (and smell) good. The prop did not break. All in all, it appears that it will cost me about $175 to repair: $150 in Top Flite parts and $25 for a new motor mount. BTW: that motor mount acted like a crush zone on a car, and it appears that it obsorbed most ot the impact forces.

My wife was warning me about that 3rd flight, guess I shouda listened."

As stated, I have already ordered replacement parts, and I anticipate that it should be flying again by August 1.
CorsairJock is offline Find More Posts by CorsairJock
Old Sep 04, 2008, 04:49 PM
Parchment, MI, U.S.A.
Joined Oct 2004
362 Posts
Repairs were completed in early August, but complete "SHOO SHOO BABY" marking weren't applied until just a few days ago (Late Aug).
Also: 4 blade prop and spinner are ready, I may try it out this coming Sat (Sept. 6)
Old Sep 16, 2008, 07:51 AM
Parchment, MI, U.S.A.
Joined Oct 2004
362 Posts
Flew it 4 times on Sept 6 with the APC 4 blade 14.5 x 11 (cut down to 14" and painted). I could fly 4 times because I have an extra set (pair) of battery packs, so flew it twice on each battery set.

AUW is 160.4 oz ( 10 lbs). Current draw is 32.5 amps static. CG is at 5 1/4" back with this prop.
Flight performance seemed to be nearly identical to flights with the 2 blade 15 x 12: no better, no worse. But obviously: flight times are slightly shorter due to increased current draw (32.5 vs. 28). The 2 blade setup weighs about 24 grams less then the 4 blade setup (but NOTE: the 2 blade remains un-painted).

I think I'll stick with the 2 blade for most of my flying, but will install the 4 blade for warbird events.
Last edited by CorsairJock; Sep 16, 2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 02:37 PM
Joined Feb 2007
90 Posts
Just a FYI, I just finished my bird and was surprised to find that the GP electric motor mount is a perfect fit to the factory supplied motor mount nuts in the firewall. I used the Eflite 60 on mine which did require some new holes in the front of the mount to support the Eflite bolt pattern. If you use a GP electric motor you'd be set using this mount with no holes to drill.

I used Robart mechanicals which did require some tweeking to get working flawlessly. If I had to do it all over again I'd do the Spring down Air up retracts. I happened to have a retract servo laying around so I went the mechanical route.

I found no issues with the build. Put mine together in three evenings and used the hardware supplied in the box. A real fine ARF with the exception of the covering. I've put together 15 or more ARF's and this one had the most wrinkles of any I've seen. Took me an hour with a heat gun to get it looking like a proper warbird.

No flight report yet as I'm still waiting on my 6 cell to arrive. Running a 16/10 at 5400' altitude and expect to see something in the 900 watt range. I'll post my actual readings after I get the battery.
jbarnes is offline Find More Posts by jbarnes
Old Sep 17, 2008, 02:59 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,188 Posts
Nice job guys. I also have done an electric conversion with the 60 size Top Flight. I am using an AXI 4130/20 with 8s 5000mah and a CC HV 45 and it flies great! has plenty of power but I am having 2 weird actions. On takeoff it has a bad tendency to roll left. I think I am powering up too quick and the heavy rotating mass of the motor is causing torque roll. Also, if I am on approach and have to go around and give it a considerable amount of power, it wants to dive hard. It was quite a shock the first time. Now I know I have to put up elevator when I do that and it isn't so bad.

Anyone have any thoughts on these issues?

Also, I broke one of the stock retracts on the first taxi test. They sent me a new pair but in the meantime I bought ultralight 60 size retracts but they were too flimsy. I ended up getting another set of normal 60-90 size retracts and they work great.
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Sep 17, 2008, 04:17 PM
Parchment, MI, U.S.A.
Joined Oct 2004
362 Posts
There are a number of owners who have reported retract housing failures at RCUniverse. I am not among them: as stated, I have about 50 flight on mine (some of them not so pretty), and have not experienced the housing breakage (OR cracks) that some have. But there are enough of them that I would recommend swapping out the stock retracts for Robart HDs (3/16" struts). Personnaly, I would stick with the Robart mechanicals, but I know that many are die hard pneumatic fans (air heads?).

On the left roll on take off: yes, I have experienced that also. Add throttle gradually, and fly level for a few feet after liftoff.

And then there are a number (including myself) that feel that a little elevator down trim is needed for normal flight. I think a little more engine downthrust would help.

Here is a link to the RCU thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7520206/tm.htm
Old Sep 18, 2008, 01:36 PM
Joined Feb 2007
90 Posts
You guys might want to check this out. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_79...tm.htm#7967084
jbarnes is offline Find More Posts by jbarnes
Old Sep 18, 2008, 01:51 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,466 Posts
there is a hatch in there that isn't mentioned in the documentation???
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland