HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2008, 03:47 AM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
I was trying to decide if i wanted to mount using stand offs or motor mount, you just convinced me to buy the Atlas AMM500. I like the way it adjusts and it looks sturdy, thanks for the pics. I'm curious to see what the APC 4 blade 14.5 x 11 will give you for power?

Mark
MrN79 is offline Find More Posts by MrN79
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2008, 10:07 AM
Parchment, MI, U.S.A.
Joined Oct 2004
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrN79
................. I'm curious to see what the APC 4 blade 14.5 x 11 will give you for power?
Mark
Well, I stated what my expectations were in an earlier post, but if you would like to see for yourself, go to this web-site:

http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/dma1.asp

A few 'flies in the ointment' so to speak concerning my motor installation (which is now completed):
New holes need to be drilled in the firewall in order to mount the Atlas AMM500, and the supplied 4mm blind nuts will need to be installed. The new holes will be close enough to the already installed blind nuts so that the old ones will need to be removed. Top Flite didn't make this any too easy: the blind nuts are epoxied in, making them difficult to remove without damaging the firewall. With a small clamp I managed to remove the bottom 2 without having to resort to a hammer. With the top 2: I had no other choice. Eventually, I prevailed, and then had to tackle the task of drilling the new holes. A 90 deg drill would have come in handy, but I don't have one, so after drilling pilot holes with twist bits, I had to turn by hand the 13/64" bit to reach the final size. I lot of work, and time consuming. In all, I spent about 2 hours removing the blinds nuts, drilling the new holes, installing the new blind nuts, and installing the motor mount with motor.
CorsairJock is offline Find More Posts by CorsairJock
Last edited by CorsairJock; Jul 16, 2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2008, 11:07 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2001
13,955 Posts
Top Flight P-51 ARF takes to the skies!

First Flight
1200 watts
9 pounds
6S-3700 Lipo

Accidently added positive EXPO and made the elevator very twitchy!

I'll have some video in a bit.

Sitting next to my H-9 P-40 for size comparision.
Art Newland is online now Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Jun 08, 2008, 11:12 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,955 Posts
video

Top Flite 1/7th Scale P-51 Mustang ARF (2 min 56 sec)
Old Jun 08, 2008, 11:50 PM
I just love flying
Traverse City ,MI
Joined Dec 2005
908 Posts
Finally!

Very nice flying.

Was there any damage on the landing?

~Matt
MattZC is offline Find More Posts by MattZC
Old Jun 09, 2008, 12:33 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,955 Posts
No, it's unhurt.
Hopefully we'll get some better weather soon for more flying.
BTW, this isn't mine, it's my buddy Larry's.
Old Jun 09, 2008, 09:37 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,245 Posts
There must be someting different with that plane, it took off, and landed like a park flyer, not a heavy 1/7 Mustang.

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Jun 09, 2008, 03:20 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,955 Posts
I was only a spectator, but it looked like it flew very well. Its a great looking plane too.
I've owned p51s myself, and they are usually pretty pitch sensitive, I'm sure that with positive expo it was not a lot of fun. He doctored up the finish with some flat clear and added some rivet detail. I'll get some better picures of it next time.
Old Jun 09, 2008, 03:45 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Now that you mention it, you can barely make it out in the pictures, there are panel line details, hard to make out the rivet details. What size motor/set up is he running?

Mark
Old Jun 09, 2008, 04:58 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,245 Posts
That Mustang did not fly like a 1/7 TF P-51, it flew like a foamy. Next time you get close, please lift it, squeeze it, verify that it weighs more than few lbs.

Check out the taxi of that airplane on packed dirt or pavement, the thing bounces off the ground going slow. Check out the takeoff, there aren't many 60 or 90 size WWII planes that take off in 10 feet, or bounce like that on landing. Fip over like that and no damage, sorry, they won't happen with a 9LB Hangar 9 warbird, something will crack and the prop will be damaged.

Like they say, there is something fishy in Denmark.

I have 2 Hangar 9 60 size P-51s, one Hangar 9 150 size P-51, all powered the way they should be powered and they don't take off like that, jumping in the air in 10 feet. Yep, I tried a short takeoff with a Hangar 9 Corsair and it torque rolled to the left, did a 360 and belly flopped. Warbirds need gradual power, right rudder and scale like takeoffs.

I'm old and I am willing to learn new tricks, but, I still can't be fooled by smoke and mirrors. LOL

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Jun 13, 2008, 02:06 AM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
USA, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jan 2003
2,886 Posts
Al,
99% of my take offs are less than 10' unless I go to K-Bay where it's paved and I can take my time getting off the ground. If you notice the touch down is in the grass, once the nose hit it dug in and the momentum carried the weight over. I've had many nice touch down's end up being nose overs and a few flip overs as the wheels get caught in the grass.
Got mine waiting to be made, hopefully I'll start it next week and have it up in a couple. I'll be using an Axi 4130/16 on 7S TP Extreme V2s and a Phoenix 85HV spinning a 14x10E.

Anybody using aftermarket retracts on theirs yet?
drksyd is offline Find More Posts by drksyd
Old Jun 13, 2008, 02:56 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Aloha,

I have the Robarts Air going in my P-51. I had planned on using LADO electric retracts, but decided to stick with the Robarts. Going to use the E-Flite 90BL, Phoenix 85HV, FlightPower 8S/4500, and trying to decide on the 4 Blade Vario, possibly 14X9 or Master Airscrew 4 Blade with new Tru Turn Spinner.

Mark
Old Jun 13, 2008, 07:35 PM
Parchment, MI, U.S.A.
Joined Oct 2004
372 Posts
I'll see what I can do about posting a (YouTube) video of mine, with hopefully a much more realistic looking takeoff and landing. I try to fly scale-like.

My Stock retracts have been modified: I installed RoboStruts on them and 3 1/2" Dave Brown wheels.
Here again is a link to my build/ modification thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7520206/tm.htm
CorsairJock is offline Find More Posts by CorsairJock
Last edited by CorsairJock; Jul 16, 2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 03:00 AM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
USA, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jan 2003
2,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrN79
Aloha,

I have the Robarts Air going in my P-51. I had planned on using LADO electric retracts, but decided to stick with the Robarts. Going to use the E-Flite 90BL, Phoenix 85HV, FlightPower 8S/4500, and trying to decide on the 4 Blade Vario, possibly 14X9 or Master Airscrew 4 Blade with new Tru Turn Spinner.

Mark
Are you using one of the 600 series retracts. I had a set in my H9 Miss America and wasn't very happy with them. I'd like to go pneumatic but if worse comes to worse, I have a set of Frank Tiano mechanical retracts that may fit.

CJ
I'll check out your thread, thanks.
drksyd is offline Find More Posts by drksyd
Old Jun 15, 2008, 05:24 AM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Yes, I'm using the Robart 605 pneumatics. Was checking out the CJ build thread on RCUniverse, looks like one of the others was using the Century Jets Retracts with some minor mods to make them work. CorsairJock was using the stock retracts with robostruts (modified to fit the stock wires).

mark