2,748 Posts
Post a bunch of pictures Matt !!!!
Tracon is offline Find More Posts by Tracon
Old May 21, 2008, 02:00 PM
I just love flying
Traverse City ,MI
Joined Dec 2005
899 Posts
I was just on the phone with my mom, to tell her I got a 100 on an english vocabulary quiz, and I asked her if the UPS man had arrived yet. And just as she went outside to see if there was a big box, The big brown truck pulled up. She describe the package as the guy brought it over across the street: About 4 feet long, 1.5 feet wide, 'bout a foot thick. OH YES.

With one more class left, the only thing I want to do is go home. My mom told the UPS Man that I just asked if he had come yet. Perfect Timing.

Pictures will come at about 6:30, sorry for the delay but my school goes till 5 and my guitar instructor likes to hold us over.

2 hours 'till I get to see it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Matt
MattZC is offline Find More Posts by MattZC
Old May 21, 2008, 07:58 PM
Parchment, MI, U.S.A.
Joined Oct 2004
368 Posts
For those that are concerned about the robustness of the retracts: they have 5mm dia struts, or .198 ", which is actually LARGER than 3/16".

Also, they are being shipped with a retract bay modification kit (4 plywood parts per bay) which it appears is intended to strengthen the mounting of the lead/ forward retract mounting rail.

My guess is that the lead/ forward rail seperated from the wing on one (or more) of the test flights, and Top Flite decided to act on it rather than ship with the potential of having the same thing occur with it's customers.

redjem13: any chance you can bring your's (hopefully ready to fly) to the Grand Ledge Warbird Weekend?
http://www.radiodrone.net/2008/wom/
CorsairJock is offline Find More Posts by CorsairJock
Last edited by CorsairJock; May 21, 2008 at 08:06 PM.
Old May 21, 2008, 09:23 PM
I just love flying
Traverse City ,MI
Joined Dec 2005
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsairJock
redjem13: any chance you can bring your's (hopefully ready to fly) to the Grand Ledge Warbird Weekend?
http://www.radiodrone.net/2008/wom/
I hate to say it, but I doubt that my P-51 will be done by then. I do not have any of the electronics and I am still waiting to purchase the electronics for another .40 size electric conversion.

I would love to come, but as I recall I would behaving kind the same thing as some of the CARDS come up to the TRAMPS fly-in in Empire, Mi. I hope to have mine done and flying by then for sure [June 20 something], and if it isn't, too bad so sad. There's always next year.

~Matt
Old May 21, 2008, 09:32 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,224 Posts
Look great!
is it just the picture or is the canopy really foggy looking?

Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old May 21, 2008, 09:40 PM
I just love flying
Traverse City ,MI
Joined Dec 2005
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101
Look great!
is it just the picture or is the canopy really foggy looking?

Ron
Sadly, the canopy is pretty foggy, but its not that bad.

~Matt
Old May 25, 2008, 10:56 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Matt I am soooooooo jealous and envious. I haven't gotten the call from my LHS yet, but am expecting it soon. Excellent pics! Can't wait to get mine, I have everything to build it, including the replacement robarts air retracts.

BTW, the canopy fogging issue? Is there protective covering on it, that may be causing the fogging issue? Thats what it looks like in the pics...

Mark
MrN79 is offline Find More Posts by MrN79
Old May 28, 2008, 08:21 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Alright, mine arrived today at my LHS, going to pick it up tomorrow. How's the build going Matt?

Mark
Old May 28, 2008, 11:01 PM
I just love flying
Traverse City ,MI
Joined Dec 2005
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrN79
Alright, mine arrived today at my LHS, going to pick it up tomorrow. How's the build going Matt?

Mark
Hey Mark,

I haven't been at home to work on the P-51, I am relaxing at my grandparents house. Even if I was home, I wouldn't be working on it. I have to finish a 3dhs 55" Extra Shp before June 21st so that is what is on my bench. After the Extra is done the P-51 will take over the bench and it will become my secondary project. [Short Solent will be the first until it is complete.]

On the canopy, I looked in the picture on here again and it looks like there might be a covering on it, but I didn't seem to notice it when I was looking the kit over. I will look again on wednesday. [Thats when I will be home]

~Matt
Last edited by MattZC; May 29, 2008 at 07:57 AM. Reason: sentence didn't make any sence
Old May 29, 2008, 04:29 AM
Parchment, MI, U.S.A.
Joined Oct 2004
368 Posts
I just ordered a motor mount for my AXI 4130/20 from Hobby Lobby. It is an Atlas AMM500, cost about $20 + shipping), but it is long enough (adjustable, up to 6") to work on my Mustang without any other modifcation. BTW: I intend to mount the motor backwards from what I normally do: the mounting plate will be at the front of the motor. By doing this: I can use a Great Planes prop adapter collet assembly for 6 mm shaft, which has a 5/16" x 24 thread for the prop (same as the spinner nuts that come with this ARF).
I had orginally planned on designing my own motor mount, but this will save me a LOT of time, so that I can hopefully have it ready to fly in time for the Warbirds Over Michigan event near Grand Ledge, June 7 ~ 8.
Last edited by CorsairJock; Jun 01, 2008 at 04:25 AM.
Old Jun 01, 2008, 12:41 AM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Matt,

Are you going to post pics as you build? I probably won't be starting mine until i finish my Pitts Python (not enough bench space). I know how the project priorities go, always have something in the works here too. Is anyone planning on using a 4 Bladed Vario prop?

Mark
Last edited by MrN79; Jun 03, 2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2008, 09:21 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
Ya know the Hangar 9, 150 size P-51 isn't chopped liver?

Both Coatwatcher and I did these conversions and both worked out perfectly as nice flying big planes.

Just last weekend.....this happened. LOL Use this as a moral booster and get your TF birds finished.

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Jun 05, 2008, 07:40 PM
Parchment, MI, U.S.A.
Joined Oct 2004
368 Posts
My Atlas motor mount arrived a few days ago, and I must say: THIS IS THE WAY TO GO (IF you are using an AXI 4130 series motor)

This mount is much more robust than the standard AXI 4130 series motor motor. In fact, it is designed to accept 51xx series motors as well.

I DID have to do some sanding (mostly with a Dremel) to the left side of the 1/2 former on the top portion of the cowl for clearance, and I substituted button head allen screws for some additional clearance (but not needed).

I haven't re-drilled the mounting holes yet in the firewall, so it isn't really bolted down in the pics, but as you can see: the fit is PERFECT!

The manual calls for 6 1/8" from firewall to the front of the thrust washer. In this case, it is more like 6 1/16 ~ 6 3/32", but as you can see: there is plenty of spinner to fuselage clearance.

Again, by using this Atlas AMM500 motor mount and a Great Planes 6mm to 5/16 x 24 prop adapter collet: I am able to use the spinner nut that came with the kit.

In my OTHER AXI 4130 powered warbird, I used the AXI radial mount. I had to build up the firewall some to get the motor out where it needed to be, but no big issue, However, in the case of this Mustang: it would have taken a lot of building up (maybe close to 4"?), and I would have ended up with nearly all of that rotating mass being ahead of the motor mount. With this mount, things look a little more balanced: the prop and spinner are ahead of the motor mount, and that big rotating 'can' is behind it.

BTW: I will do intial flights with the APC 15 x 12 prop shown, but eventually I will modify the spinner and install an APC 4 blade 14.5 x 11.
Last edited by CorsairJock; Jun 06, 2008 at 04:28 AM.