Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 07, 2008, 04:14 PM
St. Charles, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
668 Posts
Just a note as I am forum surfing today - all the projects are finished and waiting for spring! I need another airplane I guess.

I have a Hangar 9 Miss America P-51 that uses the 4130 and Jeti speed control and have been flying it for a couple of years now (plus or minus a couple of months). The TF model is approx the same thing. Miss America flies great and I actually took it to the Nats in Fun Scale two summers ago.

It would have finished higher if it hadn't obeyed my every command. With the cross wind and my total mind blank I had forgotten there was a rudder on the airplane! Also when you throttle up too fast the big electric will pop it over on the nose in a wink. At least I didn't have to run out and restart it. Of course one flight I was explaining to a friend about the electric stuff and although I installed new batteries for the next flight I forgot to connect one of the plugs. The wing has to be removed to plug them in so I missed that flight. Nothing like that to help the confidence factor.

Terry was just following in my footsteps :-)

At home and with no one watching except Bonnie (wife, mechanic and calming action person) the airplane flies beautifully. I tend to fly full throttle all the time except landing and it is great. The TF Mustang should be the same.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the E-flite motor either. They seem to be fine products.

Ben
Ben Lanterman is offline Find More Posts by Ben Lanterman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2008, 07:53 PM
I just love flying
Traverse City ,MI
Joined Dec 2005
887 Posts
And now Tower says Mid February. Ugggghhhhhh When will they release it?!?!?!?!?

~Matt
MattZC is offline Find More Posts by MattZC
Old Feb 08, 2008, 10:31 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Hi Ben,

Did you read the article on the Hangar 9 1.50 conversion that Terry Nitsche did? It covered the conversion in depth, specifically how he cut his battery hatch, reinforced it...etc. Great article! On to the TF .60 P-51, my LHS said mine should be here at the end of February. I was reading an article in the Quiet Flyer about the F-4U Corsair Hop Up, he installed a E-Flite 110! I'm not going to that extreme, but since E-Flite is releasing a Power 90, i think I will try that motor on 6S - 8S.

Mark
MrN79 is offline Find More Posts by MrN79
Old Feb 09, 2008, 10:28 AM
St. Charles, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrN79
Hi Ben,

Did you read the article on the Hangar 9 1.50 conversion that Terry Nitsche did? It covered the conversion in depth, specifically how he cut his battery hatch, reinforced it...etc. Great article! On to the TF .60 P-51, my LHS said mine should be here at the end of February. I was reading an article in the Quiet Flyer about the F-4U Corsair Hop Up, he installed a E-Flite 110! I'm not going to that extreme, but since E-Flite is releasing a Power 90, i think I will try that motor on 6S - 8S.

Mark
Mark, I haven't read it yet. What magazine is it in? My magazines usually come late for some reason - I think the mailman reads them first! The Power 90 sounds like a good deal, it should be loafing along at the power loading for that sized airplane. The biggest problem in electric conversions is the cost of the Lipoly batteries. Buying them is like jumping in a ice cold pool the first time......

I go for a minimalist approach in my conversions. I didn't put a battery hatch in mine. Unless I am flying a contest (a rarity), the time between flights to take the wing off and change batteries isn't a big deal. I have 5 .60 sized conversions and all seem to have the same characteristics when converted this way. The converted airplanes are the P-51, a T-34, P-40, and an old pattern style Curare and QuickFly III.

I found when I put the AXI up front screwed to just a block of semi-soft wood (the wood breaks before the shaft bends) epoxied to the original firewall and with the batteries in the fuselage wing opening - one on each fuselage side and snuggled up to the front cavity fuselage former - that the CG usually falls right on the money. Other than the Velcro straps to hold the batteries in place and an external shorting plug for safety no other changes were required.

Of course the convenience of a battery hatch would be nice at times but I couldn't bring myself to cutting into the fuselages.

Best of luck with yours,

Ben
Ben Lanterman is offline Find More Posts by Ben Lanterman
Old Feb 09, 2008, 10:10 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Ben,
I'll have to check on the magazine article, but i believe it was the November issue of Model Airplane News (?). You have lots of experience with e-conversion, this is only my second in a long list of glow to electric conversions, and i like having a battery hatch for convenience sake. I plan on changing the color scheme to make it unique and don't mind cutting the fuselage. I like your idea of semi-soft wood to act as a motor crumple zone, and may have to incorporate it into this build.

My LHS is on the fast track for 2 of the Power 90's and today i paid for one of them...i believe i'll have the motor and servos (JR821's) before i get my kit. I'm an AXI/E-Flite motor guy so will interchange between those 2 brands in my kits, so i'm glad to hear from your experience that AXI's install, balance, and fly well in your kits.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement,

Mark
Old Feb 27, 2008, 06:59 PM
I just love flying
Traverse City ,MI
Joined Dec 2005
887 Posts
OHHH NOOOOOOOO+++++ I DONT LIKE THEIR SERVICE.

LATE MARCH

UGH++++++

~Matt
Old Feb 28, 2008, 02:40 PM
Parchment, MI, U.S.A.
Joined Oct 2004
367 Posts
Getting back to the original questions:
I plan on installing an AXI 4130/20, with APC 4 blade 14.5 x 11. According to MotorCalc: should draw about 35 amps while providing over 9 lbs of thrust. I have 6S (2 x 3S) 5000 mAH Lipos, as well as the AXI and prop.
All I need now if the 'Stang, which I ordered in early February.
For servos: I picked up some lightweight (about 1 oz each) digital servos with 44 oz/ in torque @ 4.8VDC for $20 each from Balsa Products. I will be using something slightly more powerful for the flaps.
I also plan on adding a retractable tailwheel.

Now, IF IT WOULD JUST GET HERE! I sure wish I knew what is going on. The dates went from early Feb., to mid Feb., to late Feb., then suddenly to late March. Did the boat sink on the way over here?

BTW: My AXI 4130/16 powered Hangar 9 Corsair is ready to begin it's 4th flying season (as soon as the weather warms up)
CorsairJock is offline Find More Posts by CorsairJock
Old Mar 08, 2008, 11:53 AM
I just love flying
Traverse City ,MI
Joined Dec 2005
887 Posts
Rant

Ok Now I just looked and they say now that it will be Early April
I am not even going to look anymore because this is getting ridicules. I am starting to wonder if they are even going to sell this or if they are just going to keep on moving the date until everyone removes their order and never buys from Top Flite again. I dont know how they can expect to sell airplanes with this kind of service.
I believe the original date that they were planning on releasing it was early January. Am I wrong?
I think this deserves a call to Top Flite and I also think that they owe a lot of us an explanation.
I dont know about you but that is a lot of money to me and I'm starting to think it should of been spent on something else.
UGGGGGGG
Old Mar 08, 2008, 06:51 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
I understand your frustration, i feel the same way. I know they have to generate marketing hype, but like you said, why bother giving a release date when they just keep delaying it. If it gets any later, i'm going to cancel my order from my LHS (which is already paid for), and order a P-51 kit from someone else who is more reliable in their deliveries. And never purchase another Top Flite ARF/Kit...

Mark
Old Mar 09, 2008, 08:07 AM
Parchment, MI, U.S.A.
Joined Oct 2004
367 Posts
redjem13, I started a thread in RCUniverse about this ARF back in late January: I am feeling frustrated too (thought I might have it by my birthday, which was in Late Feb.), but as I have stated in the other thread:
I believe this is the best looking/ most scale accurate '.60 size' Warbird ARF ever made, BAR NONE.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6969829/tm.htm

But I agree: it would be SO NICE to hear from Top Flite and/ or Tower and have them explain why the delays.
Nontheless: I am being patient, and am confident that mine will arrive in time for me to complete it and have it ready for the 'Warbirds over Michigan' weekend event (early June) near Grand Ledge.
And hopefully: you will be there also and we can do an electric Mustang formation flyby.
I am pretty sure this ARF will be well worth the wait.

BTW: I will be using a Castle Creations Phoenix 60 in mine. All Castle Creation ESC are on sale/ 25% off this month, which brings the price down to just over $100.
Last edited by CorsairJock; Mar 09, 2008 at 08:19 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 09:20 PM
Los Angeles Intl, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
329 Posts
Now it's late April.

Care to make any wagers on May?
mikester is offline Find More Posts by mikester
Old Mar 28, 2008, 09:54 PM
Parchment, MI, U.S.A.
Joined Oct 2004
367 Posts
I'm thinking Sig. I've been patient, but my patiece has come to an end. I have a Top Flite on back order, but am now considering canceling it
Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:17 AM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Top Flite should just give us a realistic delivery date. Quit playing the "we think it's going to be ready by________ date" I don't care what date it is, just as long as it's something they can deliver on. If it's going to be delayed for a few months, then i'll get a refund and make other plans (not Top Flite). It may be the best looking P-51 in the entire RC Universe, but I can't fly a picture or a promise of a "so called" delivery date.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 08:33 PM
I just love flying
Traverse City ,MI
Joined Dec 2005
887 Posts
Late April..........

Hey maybe this can become a contest!
Guess the actual release date of the TopFlite P-51 ARF!!!!!!!!!!

I guess... Late June

I think this may involve a refund on my part......

~Matt

EDIT: Opps, sorry already posted.....
Old Apr 24, 2008, 08:44 PM
I just love flying
Traverse City ,MI
Joined Dec 2005
887 Posts
HAHA Look now!!!!

LATE JUNE

This is ridiculous, I'm gonna talk to my dad about canceling the order.

ERRRRGGGHH