HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:26 AM
Irvine, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,346 Posts
Guys,

I pretty much have the p-51 dialed in. She's flying great. I was getting a lot of vibration from the spinner so I ended up just getting a tru-turn spinner.

Now, the only other problem I have is with the retracts. They are working fine BUT the landing gear wires seem to soft; there is too much lateral flex. The retract mechanism does lock but the wire tends to flex from side to side causing the plane to tip to the side too easily when turning and also makes it a bit touchy on take offs.

I was planning to swap them out for some robart 608HD's and robo struts but wanted to know will these reduce or eliminate this lateral play?

hk
hyperknight is offline Find More Posts by hyperknight
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:57 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Feb 2007
96 Posts
I've using the Robarts and struts for over a year now and have never had a problem. When you install the Robarts the pushrod connection will need to change slightly. Best bet is to just solder the 2/56 rod in the rod coming out of the Robart gear to get things to line up nicely. I also put the Robart wheels on mine. The stock retracts should be tossed on day one and replaced with Robarts IMO. Jerry.
jbarnes is offline Find More Posts by jbarnes
Old Jan 20, 2010, 03:51 PM
Parchment, MI, U.S.A.
Joined Oct 2004
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperknight View Post
.............the only other problem I have is with the retracts. They are working fine BUT the landing gear wires seem to soft; there is too much lateral flex. The retract mechanism does lock but the wire tends to flex from side to side causing the plane to tip to the side too easily when turning and also makes it a bit touchy on take offs...................I was planning to swap them out for some robart 608HD's and robo struts but wanted to know will these reduce or eliminate this lateral play?
hk
I'm a little baffled: the stock Top Flite strut wires are a very robust 5mm in diameter, which is slighter thicker than the 3/16" strut wires that come with Robarts 608 HDs.
That said, I doubt that installing the Robarts would make it better/ stiffer.

I have the stock strut wires on mine, but have installed #653 RoboStruts on them (while keeping the spring loop), and have encountered absolutely NO problems with them flexing excessively. If anything, I consider them a little TOO stiff.

The older Hangar 9 warbirds onthe other hand had 4 mm struts, which were too flimsy and subject to the problems that you mention.
CorsairJock is offline Find More Posts by CorsairJock
Old Jan 21, 2010, 03:18 AM
Irvine, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsairJock View Post
I'm a little baffled: the stock Top Flite strut wires are a very robust 5mm in diameter, which is slighter thicker than the 3/16" strut wires that come with Robarts 608 HDs.
That said, I doubt that installing the Robarts would make it better/ stiffer.

I have the stock strut wires on mine, but have installed #653 RoboStruts on them (while keeping the spring loop), and have encountered absolutely NO problems with them flexing excessively. If anything, I consider them a little TOO stiff.

The older Hangar 9 warbirds onthe other hand had 4 mm struts, which were too flimsy and subject to the problems that you mention.
CJ,

I don't get it either. These wires seem very stout, but they do flex. I've read others complain about the same thing on your thread on RC Universe. My setup is under 10 lbs (9.75 lbs AUW) but when it's sitting on the ground, it will wiggle from side-to-side when I nudge it a bit. This, to me, seems too flimsy.

So, no go for the robarts...??? Good to know. Save me a few bucks. Ideally, I would like to get a set of Lado's and have the robo struts go directly into them. I hear this provides a pretty solid and stiff setup. Unfortunately, it seems impossible to get a set of these lado retracts. Bummer...

hk
Old Jan 21, 2010, 05:27 AM
Parchment, MI, U.S.A.
Joined Oct 2004
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperknight View Post
So, no go for the robarts...??? Good to know. Save me a few bucks. ...........hk
Not necessarily, the stock retracts DO have issues: the molded housing are susceptible to cracks and breakage. For that reason, the Robart 608 HDs become a good (and at less than $40: inexpensive) alternative. Plus, since the strut wires are 3/16" instead of 5 mm: it is much easier to install RoboStruts on them.

Many have complained about the weak housings, and I have encountered the housing problems myself, and for THAT reason: I recommend the Robarts.

As far as I remember, the only other one who complained about wobbly strut wires was one who installed titanium strut wires.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:26 AM
Irvine, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsairJock View Post
Not necessarily, the stock retracts DO have issues: the molded housing are susceptible to cracks and breakage. For that reason, the Robart 608 HDs become a good (and at less than $40: inexpensive) alternative. Plus, since the strut wires are 3/16" instead of 5 mm: it is much easier to install RoboStruts on them.

Many have complained about the weak housings, and I have encountered the housing problems myself, and for THAT reason: I recommend the Robarts.

As far as I remember, the only other one who complained about wobbly strut wires was one who installed titanium strut wires.
CJ,

It appears the lateral flex is coming from the coil in the wire. I'm thinking if I go with the robo struts with the 608HD's and have the struts butt right up against the retract housing, it should have less lateral play than the stock setup.....???

hk
Old Jan 22, 2010, 05:22 AM
Parchment, MI, U.S.A.
Joined Oct 2004
372 Posts
Most people install them that way (without the coils when installing RoboStruts), I am one of the few (if there are any others?) who prefers at least SOME flex/ give, so I try to leave the coils on mine.

You have to look closely at the right strut to see part of the loop on mine:
Last edited by CorsairJock; Jan 22, 2010 at 05:27 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:32 PM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
Got mine all ready to go. Weather looks bad for tomorrow so maybe sunday.

My cg is at 5 1/2" back. Should be a good flyer it came in at 9.5lbs

It settles at 1485 watts and 69 amps. My batteries are new so that may improve.

Changing batteries is a breeze.

Ben
Ben-Rod is offline Find More Posts by Ben-Rod
Last edited by Ben-Rod; Jan 29, 2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:51 PM
Irvine, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben-Rod View Post
Got mine all ready to go. Weather looks bad for tomorrow so maybe sunday.

My cg is at 5 1/2" back. Should be a good flyer it came in at 9.5lbs

It settles at 1485 watts and 69 amps. My batteries are new so that may improve.

Changing batteries is a breeze.

Ben
Ben,

Looks great. Let us know how she flies. My came in at 9.75 lbs. Flies great but ground handling sucks.

hk

BTW, when will 3DHS bring out some warbirds????
Old Jan 30, 2010, 12:38 AM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
Quote: BTW, when will 3DHS bring out some warbirds????

Wouldn't that be nice. I don't think they would ever do warbirds.

Sure would be nice to have a manufacture that could do for electric warbirds what 3DHS has done for electric 3D aircraft. You would think there would be a great market for them.

I wonder what my top speed will be with this set up?

Ben Rodriguez
Last edited by Ben-Rod; Jan 30, 2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:38 AM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
Rain, rain go away so I can maiden this new plane today... Some more pics. Thought you all might like to see under the hood.

Ben Rodriguez
Old Feb 01, 2010, 11:37 AM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
I was able to run the Reaper up on the tac and it turns a 16x10 APCE @ 7,700 rpm.

I wasn't able to maiden this weekend do to bad weather, so I wonder what king of speed I'll see out of this set up.

What do you guys think??? How fast can I expect it to be???

Ben Rodirguez
Old Feb 03, 2010, 09:13 PM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
Finally got the chance to maiden mine today. Got two nice flights in and both went off with out a hitch. Plane tracks very nice and slows down for landing really well. As far as speed I would say 60-65 mph but vert was darn near endless.

Thanks for the heads up about the down elevator trim needed for level flight as I had some in on take off and still needed a bit more.

All in all I can say Im very pleased with the way this plane handles.

Ben Rodriguez
Old Feb 03, 2010, 10:32 PM
Irvine, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben-Rod View Post
Finally got the chance to maiden mine today. Got two nice flights in and both went off with out a hitch. Plane tracks very nice and slows down for landing really well. As far as speed I would say 60-65 mph but vert was darn near endless.

Thanks for the heads up about the down elevator trim needed for level flight as I had some in on take off and still needed a bit more.

All in all I can say Im very pleased with the way this plane handles.

Ben Rodriguez
Ben,

I'm pleased with mine as well. My only gripe is the stock retracts. They have too much lateral flex making ground tracking (on take offs) difficult.

Bought some Robart 608HD's with Robart struts as well. The robart retracts seem way stiffer than the stock ones. So, hopefully, this will take care of my only gripe of this plane.

HK
Old Feb 17, 2010, 06:20 AM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
Here are a few pictures a fellow club member took of me flying mine last weekend. Enjoy...

Ben Rodriguez
Last edited by Ben-Rod; Feb 17, 2010 at 07:33 AM.