Old Dec 25, 2007, 10:30 AM
I just love flying
Traverse City ,MI
Joined Dec 2005
898 Posts
Build Log
Top Flite 1/7th Scale P-51 ARF Build Log

Hey guys,

For my main Christmas Present, I got the Top Flite 1/7th Scale Arf, (On order) and I am trying to figure out what gear to put in it.
I have heard that the AXI 4130 is a ok motor for the weight of this plane and I am assuming the AXI would go with a 70 amp speed control from Jeti, and probably a 6s 4000 pack.
I also need servo recommendations for this plane. It says on Top Flite's web site that it needs 7 Standard servos and one retract servo, but I am not going to use the Retracts that come with the kit, I am going with Robart Retracts. If I went electric electric, I would not need the throttle servo needed for gas.

http://www.top-flite.com/airplanes/topa0950.html

Merry Christmas to all!
-Matt
MattZC is online now Find More Posts by MattZC
Last edited by MattZC; Jul 16, 2009 at 02:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2007, 01:07 PM
Denmark, Nordjylland, Gistrup
Joined Aug 2005
402 Posts
Hi. I did not know that you could still get eletric retracts, what are you looking at?
I have built in Giezendanner (electric, no more available) retracts in my H9 P-47 conversion.

Best regards. Flemming Sorensen
flemsus is offline Find More Posts by flemsus
Old Dec 25, 2007, 03:14 PM
I just love flying
Traverse City ,MI
Joined Dec 2005
898 Posts
flemsus,
I have already purchased Robart retracts for the P-51.

Oh, sorry, I wrote the original sentence badly, I meant the plane would be electric, not the retracts. Very sorry,

-Matt
Old Dec 27, 2007, 09:39 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,478 Posts
I bet you have nice scale retract speeds with those units.
There is a new company that makes electric drives for retracts.
Look here:

https://ws04.ipowerweb.com/smartweb/lado/product4.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by flemsus
Hi. I did not know that you could still get eletric retracts, what are you looking at?
I have built in Giezendanner (electric, no more available) retracts in my H9 P-47 conversion.

Best regards. Flemming Sorensen
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Jan 04, 2008, 02:36 AM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
I have one on order too, should be here sometime in January. Haven't decided on the Robarts or Century retracts, i'll have to wait and see what size wheel i can fit in the well, then i'll decide. I'm running the CC 85HV, E-Flight Power 60, and Flight Power 6S 5000. There is a great article in one of the flying magazines (sorry not sure which one) that discussed Terry Nitsche's electric conversion of the Hangar 9 1.50. Same magazine discussed installing air retracts in giant warbirds. I would definately recommend finding the magazine (i'll post again with the name of it)
MrN79 is offline Find More Posts by MrN79
Old Jan 04, 2008, 08:45 PM
Fly 'em fast!
Rockville, MD
Joined Aug 2002
885 Posts
I had Century Jet Retracts in my TF 1/7 kit. I say had because the kit died many years ago. I still have the retracts. They were excellent quality. If I had two criticisms of them, they would be that they were heavier than the Robarts and they required more modification of the kit because they were more beefy than the Robarts.

Overall, I would recommend them. I have the TF 1/7 kit and still have the retracts. At some time I plan on rebuilding the plane and I'll put in the CJM retracts.

Here's some pics.
RCMustang is offline Find More Posts by RCMustang
Old Jan 04, 2008, 11:57 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Great looking plane! What size wheels did you end up using with the Century retracts RCM? The Robarts maximum wheel size are 3 1/2", the Century maximum wheel size are 4". My plan is to recover my ARF, install tailwheel retract, wingtip lights, and install the rear exhaust scoop. I'm really looking forward to this project.
Old Jan 05, 2008, 08:32 AM
Fly 'em fast!
Rockville, MD
Joined Aug 2002
885 Posts
They were actually 3 1/2" wheels. I had wanted to do 4", but the 3 1/2" definately looked and worked best in the wings. I was afraid of cutting away more material in the ribs needed to actually fit in the wheel. The 1/7 model is just not quite big enough to fit the 4" wheels in my opinion. Better builders will probably disagree, but it was not worth the effort for me.

Good luck on the tail wheel retract. I looked into that as well. I opted for less complexity in mine. The only other significant mod I did was working bomb drops/drop tanks. You can see them attached in the picture above. That was very easy. I'll put them on my next Mustang since I still have the doors. I made them removable in case I did not want the weight and power drain of the extra servos.
RCMustang is offline Find More Posts by RCMustang
Old Jan 06, 2008, 07:11 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
I have a feeling i'm going to use the 3 1/2, even though the 4" would probably look better and more scale, but i'll have to see how things go and how much modding i have to do to make the 4" work. The working bombs/drop tanks is a cool option too, i may have to borrow some of that for my plane.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 06:32 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Still no kit yet, but i've been told it should be here soon (before the end of the month).
I've decided to use the electric retracts from LADO. They are made for the .60 size 1/7 Scale.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 06:08 PM
I just love flying
Traverse City ,MI
Joined Dec 2005
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrN79
Still no kit yet, but i've been told it should be here soon (before the end of the month).
I've decided to use the electric retracts from LADO. They are made for the .60 size 1/7 Scale.

Hey MrN79,

Check Tower Hobbies again. Now they say early Febuary. Ugh.

-Matt
Old Feb 06, 2008, 12:04 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Hi Matt,
my LHS has mine on order, he told me end of February now. Just gives me more time to gather all the necessary parts to convert it to electric. A friend of mine did an electric conversion on the TF P-51 kit, he used an E-Flite Power 60 with a CC 125 running 4200 mah 7S (3S/4S combo).

Mark
Old Feb 06, 2008, 02:39 PM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
Anyone know if the thrust angle is built into the firewall of this plane or is it built into the engine mount?
Socomon is offline Find More Posts by Socomon
Old Feb 07, 2008, 12:22 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Doesn't say in either build manual (Kit or ARF), and not sure just by looking at it.

Mark
Old Feb 07, 2008, 12:51 PM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
Yeah - I did not see it in the manual either. It makes the conversion easier if it is in the firewall.
Socomon is offline Find More Posts by Socomon