SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 07, 2008, 09:28 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,858 Posts
Cool. Keep us posted. We'd like to hear your thoughts on it once you've got it and tried it out.

I'm a bit disturbed that it has no charge cycling. That shocks me, and it's something I expected in a charger this expensive. I'm pretty blown away they left that out.
Wind_of_Change is online now Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2008, 11:29 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,347 Posts
Only so much you can cram into a box. Lipos don't need to be cycled and this is awfully expensive for a NiMH charger, and those are going away anyhow as well.

The fact that it is "only" a charger is fine with me. In fact, I wish it was lipo only.
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Jan 07, 2008, 11:43 PM
Jim H
Memphis
Joined Dec 2004
557 Posts
My only question is will the Duo charge a single 6s pack at 10amps with nothing
on the 2nd port. Or is each port limited to 180 watts.

Jim
Fool is offline Find More Posts by Fool
Old Jan 08, 2008, 12:35 AM
"Each Day Is A Lesson"
Goldsboro, NC
Joined May 2004
2,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
I was looking a some of their costs and frankly they were down to the penny what these cost over here. I do not expect them to be cheaper at all.

AlleRC sells a combo with the EOS1210i, 2 LBA-10s and all the cables for exactly down to the penny the same as Aircraft-World. And express shipping costs the same, or more. For instance 2 day express mail is $30. UPS overnight is $129!!!!

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for my order to show up.
You will find that all Hyperion products will be priced the same no matter where you buy.
They keep a very tight handel on that.

What's regular shipping from AC World?.

I usually deal with AllE RC but it kills me to pay $2.50 from Japan and $8 or $9 from the Left Coast.

DD
diver don is offline Find More Posts by diver don
Last edited by diver don; Jan 08, 2008 at 12:41 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2008, 12:41 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,347 Posts
The manual is a bit unclear. It does indicate that 10 amps is available up to the full 360 watts. But it is not clear if that is total for the two sides or what.

It is not an issue for me. My biggest 6S packs are 5,000 mAh. If it is just 180W per port, that still means a max rate of 8 amps for a 6S pack (Hyperion rates the power using the nominal cell voltage).

I will definitely check this out, although I have no need to charge my 6S packs at 2C, or even 8 amps (1.6C). I'm a 1C or less kind of guy.
Old Jan 08, 2008, 12:51 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver don
What's regular shipping from AC World?.
Here is what AC-World has to say:

Quote:
Parcel Post
The "Small Packet" Parcel Post service (from $2.50) is extremely reliable to USA and Australia, and is insured up to $250.00.
More than 90% of Parcel Post shipments arrive in seven days or less, with many of those taking four to five days. About 9% take seven to fifteen days to arrive, and less than one percent take twelve to twenty-five days in total. Worst case delivery is 4 weeks.
(statistics for USA and Australia only - all other countries could take 1-8 weeks).
I chose the EMS (Express Mail Service) delivery. It cost me $25. 3-day delivery from AlleRC costs the same or more.

Quote:
EMS Express
EMS shipments can be tracked, insurance claimed, and goods re-shipped more quickly in case of trouble. EMS starts at about $10.00, depending on location. Because Parcel Post insurance is limited or unavailable depending on country, we may require EMS shipment depending on the value and/or destination of the order*. EMS shipment always includes full insurance.

All shipments must pass through customs, and local service may vary, so it's impossible to say exactly when an EMS shipment will arrive. Most take between three and eight days, with four to five days being common. You can track the package through online services in most countries, but not all, to see where it is at any time.

Quote:
I usually deal with AllE RC but it kills me to pay $2.50 from Japan and $8 or $9 from the Left Coast.
I've bought from them before. Good people. However, they would be aghast to hear you call them left coasters. They are in Arizona, and those folks definitely do not think of themselves as left coasters!!
Old Jan 08, 2008, 01:34 AM
Chiba, Japan
Joined Jan 2002
1,044 Posts
Intersting point. 0610i DUO does limit the max amp to 10A per port. It also has a setting called POWER SHARING which defines output power sharing by 2 ports by percentage. Default was set to 50%:50%. It may be possible one port can output more than 180W. I will try later.

It is good to hear DUO is finally becomming available to everyone.

Satoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
The manual is a bit unclear. It does indicate that 10 amps is available up to the full 360 watts. But it is not clear if that is total for the two sides or what.
ssatoru is offline Find More Posts by ssatoru
Old Jan 08, 2008, 01:35 AM
Jim H
Memphis
Joined Dec 2004
557 Posts
My LiPo's will get charged at 1c, but I have some 6s2p 123's that could use the full 10amps.
Old Jan 08, 2008, 01:42 AM
Jim H
Memphis
Joined Dec 2004
557 Posts
dup
Last edited by Fool; Jan 08, 2008 at 04:23 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2008, 04:25 AM
Jim H
Memphis
Joined Dec 2004
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssatoru
Intersting point. 0610i DUO does limit the max amp to 10A per port. It also has a setting called POWER SHARING which defines output power sharing by 2 ports by percentage. Default was set to 50%:50%. It may be possible one port can output more than 180W. I will try later.

It is good to hear DUO is finally becomming available to everyone.

Satoru
Satoru thanks,
If that works I will order one.

Jim
Old Jan 08, 2008, 06:45 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,873 Posts
It shouldn't cost anything to ship a Duo charger from ALL e RC -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALL e RC
and as we have from the beginning, we still offer FREE SHIPPING on all domestic orders over $100.00.
Taken from their front page. I've ordered a bunch of stuff from them (including all of my Hyperion chargers.... two EOS 5i DP, two LBA10 balancers, and a EOS 1210i), and plan to order the Duo from them as well.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Repairing the T-28... again
Old Jan 08, 2008, 08:41 AM
Chiba, Japan
Joined Jan 2002
1,044 Posts
180W max?

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately, it seems DUO has max of 180W for each port. I charged 5S 4200mAh pack with different power sharing setting, but the result was the same. In addition, the 0610i box and panel says "180W+180W, 360W total max output". Looks like this is the answer.

Note that I did not get 180W max but a bit less than 150W. I remember NipponDave explained in 1210i thread that actual output will be less due to some overhead and condition. Maybe I can get better result with 24V input source.

For your 6S2P A123 pack, it might be quicker if it is configured as parallel of 2 6S packs. DUO should be able to charge them with 2 ports. I myself is cosidering to build either 6S1P or 5S2P A123 pack. For the latter, I would try so.

Satoru
ssatoru is offline Find More Posts by ssatoru
Old Jan 08, 2008, 08:41 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Is it the same LCD as the 0610i, I would guess so. I find that LCD really hard to read. The blue LCD with blue backlight has low contrast (yes I know it is adjustable) and very narrow angle of view. It's a niggly item but very annoying. I cannot glance over to see how things are going, I have to be practically directly above the charger to read it clearly. Don't have that problem with my other chargers that have more traditional (aka less trendy) grey/yellow LCDs.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Jan 08, 2008, 08:52 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,858 Posts
I almost bought the two separate 0610i Net chargers because they are each capable of 250 W, for a 500W total when net charging. But my biggest packs are 6S anyway (the places I buy don't sell them any bigger and nobody makes balance ports any bigger). If I need something bigger, I combine multiple packs in series. So my biggest 6S 5000 pack can charge at almost 2C if I want for rush charges, which I will rarely if ever do.

You guys who have converted to A123 cells are cutting edge, I've debated doing so several times, but getting the same power would require building a 7 or 8 series pack, which could only charge on the lower power output 12 cell Hyperion charger, which I didn't want to get.

Somebody mentioned $10 cells. I haven't seen individual cells at those prices anywhere. Usually it's in the $16-$18 range, which is far more expensive than my United Hobbies lipo packs. Where are you buying them for those prices?
Wind_of_Change is online now Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2008, 12:33 PM
Jim H
Memphis
Joined Dec 2004
557 Posts
Thanks Satoru,
I would have gone with 2 6s1p and paralleled but I'm running 12s2p in this aircraft.
Maybe a pair of net chargers is in my future.

Wind,
the 10/cell comes from Dewalt packs on Ebay. The average price on Ebay is around 90$ a pack and they have 10 cells in them.

Jim