Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 12, 2008, 05:07 PM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,594 Posts
From my experience with my Maxpro X6, the discharge feature, while nice, can be problematic because the only way to get rid of the charge is in the form of heat, which I'm sure contributed to the early death of my first Maxpro. It's just one big thing to go wrong.
TheBum is online now Find More Posts by TheBum
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2008, 05:50 PM
Aerial Images of Texas
The Texas Gulf Coast where hurricanes come to play
Joined Aug 2003
1,960 Posts
I concur, I have a nice piece of equipment to discharge my batts and I had rather use it than to tie up my charger.
tashley is offline Find More Posts by tashley
Old Nov 12, 2008, 06:25 PM
Buyin', Tryin' and Flyin'
DFW, Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,283 Posts
Many folks use a sophisticated system of discharging batteries under "actual use" conditions. Here is the process:
  1. Charge battery.
  2. Insert battery into aircraft.
  3. Fly aircraft.
  4. Store battery until next time.
-Hilgert
hilgert is offline Find More Posts by hilgert
Old Nov 12, 2008, 06:49 PM
Aerial Images of Texas
The Texas Gulf Coast where hurricanes come to play
Joined Aug 2003
1,960 Posts
Very funny Hilgert, I try and do this myself.
tashley is offline Find More Posts by tashley
Old Nov 12, 2008, 06:55 PM
Go guerrilla
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2005
4,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
Well if you really want a good deal then wait until everyone purchases the new ones and place their old ones up for sale.

Charles
Heck no, I'll keep both!

To those that don't care about the discharge - yes, I am a fan of a higher discharge rate. You guys have never charged up several packs and then weather (or plans) changed so you couldn't discharge by the method we ALL agree is best (flying)? I definitely use the storage mode WAY more to charge a pack but I like the idea of being able to quickly get a pack to proper storage voltage, regardless of whether that requires charging OR discharging.
jfv61 is offline Find More Posts by jfv61
Old Nov 12, 2008, 10:05 PM
Helis Fall With Grace & Style
Kalispell Montana BIG SKY COUNTRY!
Joined Aug 2007
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baykah
Hi, I was hopping that there was more than that ...

For example, in europe it's hard to find the old DUO, www.hyperion-eu.com has allready replace the 1 with the 2 ... and most of the web site I know of do not sell the V1 anymore.

I'm afraid that hyperion do not build V1 anymore ....
I am going to email Hyperion and find out for sure. If someone else finds out sooner post it up here. If they are discontinuing the V1 I will be buying a whole bunch of them for sure .

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert
Many folks use a sophisticated system of discharging batteries under "actual use" conditions. Here is the process:
  1. Charge battery.
  2. Insert battery into aircraft.
  3. Fly aircraft.
  4. Store battery until next time.
-Hilgert
HA HA, funny stuff

On another note thought you guys may like to check out my new customer promotion going on: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=952916. Help save someone some money!

Kyle
RcSuperSales-Net is offline Find More Posts by RcSuperSales-Net
Old Nov 13, 2008, 06:56 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,632 Posts
Quote:
I am going to email Hyperion and find out for sure. If someone else finds out sooner post it up here. If they are discontinuing the V1 I will be buying a whole bunch of them for sure
Do you not use links provided or perhaps ............................

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2193

Quote:
DUO will ikely be sold out within the next 4~6 weeks, and DUO II should arrive in about 5~7 weeks at dealers.
FYI That was posted two months ago.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 13, 2008, 11:14 AM
Joined Aug 2007
864 Posts
I haven't read back through this thread, don't have the time. Just started up where I did and going forward. Wish I could read back through it.

I saw that link prior to my posting but is NipponDave Hyperion? Not sure on his role with Hyperion. Site looks like a dealer so according to the post he said the Duo will be sold out in 4-6 weeks. Well I am not sure if he means with him, or sold out permanently. I am just telling you guys what the U.S. distributor has told me. According to them they haven't heard it is being discontinued and in fact just ordered a whole bunch more of the V1's. Just relaying the info.

Kyle
Old Nov 13, 2008, 12:22 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,632 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me that so many of us customers know so much more about products on the market than the vendors.

Edit The above is likely poorly worded. Perhaps I should have posted that I continue to be surprised that many vendors do not know their suppliers pipeline very well.

Quote:
but is NipponDave Hyperion?
Yes and if you took the time to read some of his post that should become obvious enough.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 13, 2008, 02:20 PM
Joined Aug 2007
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
It never ceases to amaze me that so many of us customers know so much more about products on the market than the vendors.

Edit The above is likely poorly worded. Perhaps I should have posted that I continue to be surprised that many vendors do not know their suppliers pipeline very well.

Yes and if you took the time to read some of his post that should become obvious enough.

Charles
Woah, no need to be rude about it. Like I said I don't have the time to go through through 120+ ppages of posts and read everything. I help when I can. I read what I can, and ask questions like anyone else. I spoke with the US Distributor and that is what they told me. What else can I do Charles. I can't know everything there is to know about every product. I guarantee I know more about most of my products than many companies do. I use my products. I am it, I have no tech support, customer service, shipping staff or anything. Just myself, and my wife helping on occasion.

I spoke with the US distributors again to get it cleared up. So as I understand it now, the DUO V1 will no longer be produced but Hyperion will be emptying out their stock of them and the U.S. distributor just ordered some more, so they will at least be floating around for a bit.

I can't speak with the pipeline of every distributor I have. Would be a feat to say the least. I can't stay up to date on every single thing there is to know in this huge hobby. I certainly try but that is why I myself frequent the forums, as they tend to be one of the best sources of info.

Just trying to do the best I can and trying to help, Charles.

Kyle
Old Nov 14, 2008, 06:42 AM
Hotep
UK
Joined Dec 2005
2,395 Posts
Well i'm another one who thinks its a BIG mistake to discontinue the Duo-v1.
I'm also one of the ppl who dont want nor need a discharger and think its a bad move to only sell the high-priced discharge version when loads of ppl who will never want it could have brought the V1 and not have to spend so much 's.

Dont get me wrong, i think its brilliant the they listen to customers who wanted a high-discharge feature and put it in the v2, but to say stuff the rest of you and make every new Duo customer pay for the higher discharge version SUCKS!
ShuNut is offline Find More Posts by ShuNut
Old Nov 14, 2008, 07:05 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuNut
Dont get me wrong, i think its brilliant the they listen to customers who wanted a high-discharge feature and put it in the v2, but to say stuff the rest of you and make every new Duo customer pay for the higher discharge version SUCKS!
Well unfortunately they likely can't afford to maintain both and just like any company with a newer version choose to support only the newest one, with improvements we can see and likely others we can't. This is the same as every other industry, new version replaces the old...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Nov 14, 2008, 07:11 AM
Joined Jan 2004
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuNut
The cost difference is $30US. The $239.95 price was to move them out to make way for the new version. So if the DUO-II never happened you would be paying $269.95 for the Duo. Do you don't think $30 is worth the new LCD display and the discharge capability? Not much more to get the functionality.
RC Accessory is offline Find More Posts by RC Accessory
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2008, 08:15 AM
Buyin', Tryin' and Flyin'
DFW, Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Accessory
The cost difference is $30US. The $239.95 price was to move them out to make way for the new version. So if the DUO-II never happened you would be paying $269.95 for the Duo. Do you don't think $30 is worth the new LCD display and the discharge capability? Not much more to get the functionality.
Actually, the DUO-I was available several places for $239.95 LONG before everyone started whining about the lack of a higher-power discharge function. Some of the more reasonably priced online vendors just sell below MAP. Heck, I bought my DUO-I for $239.95 from a LHS (not online) way before the whole discharing capability was brought up.

I agree with others - Hyperion might be shooting themselves in the foot a bit here. BUT, NipponDave does listen to us, so who knows?

-Hilgert
hilgert is offline Find More Posts by hilgert
Old Nov 14, 2008, 09:08 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert
I agree with others - Hyperion might be shooting themselves in the foot a bit here. BUT, NipponDave does listen to us, so who knows?

-Hilgert
We can't have it both ways. We asked for changes that involved new hardware, he complied and brought them to market, no way will a manufacturer maintain 2 versions of pretty much the same thing. Granted the old one was cheaper but give his one a little time, it too will be more affordable after it's been out a while...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter