HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2008, 03:31 PM
RC Addict
Western NY
Joined Jun 2002
1,668 Posts
THe Duo is just cleaner, all in one. If you opt to go with two seperate 0610i chargers you actually gain 140 watts of charging power in exchange for the extra wires and connectors. Either way you are in great shape with the Hyperion chargers in my opinion.
Raydee is offline Find More Posts by Raydee
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2008, 06:14 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
WoC your reasoning makes sense but I think you got the numbers wrong:

2 x 0610iNET = 2 x 250W = 500W total
1 x 0610iDUO = 2 x 180W = 360W total

So if 180W per port is all you need then the 0610iDUO is cheaper and smaller than a pair of 0610iNET chargers and you can get by with a cheaper power supply.

Also note that in the Hyperion manuals they specify that you need at least a 15V supply rated to about 50% more than the charger output (ie they specify a 350W 15V supply for the 250W 0610i charger) to be able to use the full rated output power.

While the chargers *will* operate with a 12V supply, they won't be able to deliver their full output power.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Feb 06, 2008, 08:15 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xStatiCa
Using just one DUO with that 25A power supply would get close to the power supply rating charging two 6s 5000mah batteries at 1C. Charging 2 of the batteries at once at 1C would need 20 amps from the power supply not including the overhead of the charger and any inefficiencies which might add another 2 or so amps.

You could power 2 DUOs but you would only be able to charge 4 6s 5000mah at half a C each. This assumes that the radio shack is rated at 25A continuous and not a max rating. If it is only good for 22A continuous then you are very close to the max the power supply can provide.
Yea, I guess I never really calculated the numbers before. Charging 2 x 6S 5000 packs @ 1C uses around 126 watts per port or 252 combined watts. The power supply is capable of a sustained 335 watts output so your right, that doesn't leave enough leftover to run much...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Feb 13, 2008, 06:40 AM
Rut-Roe
Canada, ON, Stouffville
Joined May 2003
151 Posts
My Setup

2 - EOS 0610iNet
1 - Alinco DM-330MVE Power Supply

BTW... has anyone heard of when the PC software for EOS chargers will be released? Wouldn't it be nice if it was bi-directional, thus providing very effective battery management (storage/setup/battery memory)... from a PC/large screen interface.

Certainly, from a manufacturer's perspective, threads such as these provide invaluable user feedback. I do hope that the folks at Hyperion check in now and then. Keep posting and let them know what you like, don't like, want...!
BlueFielder is offline Find More Posts by BlueFielder
Old Feb 13, 2008, 07:07 AM
Greensboro/H.Pt/Win-Salem P.T. Intl, North Carolina, United States
Joined Dec 2003
3,514 Posts
Has anyone had any success in extending the charge and discharge output leads? The manual says keep them limited to 8 inches but I charge in battery bunkers and I'm going to need about 18 inches for all the output leads.
NCguy is offline Find More Posts by NCguy
Old Feb 13, 2008, 07:36 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnotEye
2 - EOS 0610iNet
1 - Alinco DM-330MVE Power Supply
Nice setup but that is only a 15V/25A (375W) power supply. Won't quite cut the mustard for anyone that wants to use the full 250W output power on each 0610i. For example how about charging a pair of 6s A123 packs at 10A.

This just highlights the problem that the cost of the new range of very high power chargers is significantly inflated when you track down a suitable power supply. To run two 0610iNet you need around 15V-24V/40-25A (600W) power supply and they are (a) hard to find and (b) expensive.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 07:52 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,656 Posts
740 watts.
DSL 55 $165 delivered.
I have the DSL 45 and smart charge module. Super power supply and great charger for my duel 125Ah deep cycle batteries.

http://www.solarseller.com/_iota_bat...ready_to_s.htm

Guess I should have added this link and pointed out fact that itwill run at 13.6 or 14.2.

http://www.iotaengineering.com/dls55.htm

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Feb 13, 2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 07:56 AM
RC Addict
Western NY
Joined Jun 2002
1,668 Posts
http://www.pacetronics.com/prodpage....t_Selected=728

That is the one I use. It may not be the best out there but it does the job.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 08:12 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Yep, you folk in the US have it easy, lots of choice at cheap prices. Not so in most other parts of the world

According to the manuals, the Hyperion chargers won't give full output power on a 12V supply, they need at least 15V. Looks like you could use the Iota DLS-27.2-25 (24V/25A, $230) or the Pyramid PS52KX (12-15V/40A, $170). The Pyramid could be the better choice since you could run almost any charger off it whereas only a few, like the Hyperions, can run off 24V.

There are also other choicesfrom the Ham Radio world where these kinds of power supplies are more commonly required.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 08:17 AM
RC Addict
Western NY
Joined Jun 2002
1,668 Posts
I use the Pyramid with all my chargers. So far the only charger I have that doesn't like the 15volt input is my Triton charger. I plan on getting rid of my Triton, all my Cell Pro 4s chargers and a couple of my Nimh only chargers and getting a second DUO charger.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 01:47 PM
Joined Sep 2005
109 Posts
Just got my duo...what a great charger! I'm still using my pc ps but looking to get this http://www.buyreliant.com/psupplies/ps36.htm

What do you guys think?
bl8zn is offline Find More Posts by bl8zn
Old Feb 13, 2008, 02:03 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl8zn
Just got my duo...what a great charger! I'm still using my pc ps but looking to get this http://www.buyreliant.com/psupplies/ps36.htm

What do you guys think?
Is that a switcher or is it linear? It looks linear. For a few bucks extra I'd get the Alinco DM-3330. I have the Alinco and like it. The Astrons are very nice as well.

www.alinco.com

www.astroncorp.com

How big of a power supply are you looking for?
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Feb 13, 2008, 02:25 PM
Rut-Roe
Canada, ON, Stouffville
Joined May 2003
151 Posts
Questionable Pyramid Specs

I agree with PeteB. While researching Chargers and Power Supplies... I visited several Toronto electronic stores; asked a few questions and found a few points of consensus. Whenever I mentioned Pyramid power supply... I either got rolling eyes or head wags. Even though they all sold them.... none of the 4 places that I went to recommended them. No one was trying to up-sell me. They just thought that since I had invested in a higher end charger, I should consider protecting my investment. They gave me several choices. Some were actually less expensive.

But like Pete, I narrowed it down to the 2 that he suggested and ended up with the Alinco. It has 3 seperate outs that I WILL use. (Not all a once) One set will be used for my hot wire foam cutter. The other (cigarette plug) will trickle charge my field battery.

But most important ...and please pay attention here...: My wife said that it looked the nicest
BlueFielder is offline Find More Posts by BlueFielder
Old Feb 15, 2008, 02:22 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
Nice setup but that is only a 15V/25A (375W) power supply. Won't quite cut the mustard for anyone that wants to use the full 250W output power on each 0610i. For example how about charging a pair of 6s A123 packs at 10A.

This just highlights the problem that the cost of the new range of very high power chargers is significantly inflated when you track down a suitable power supply. To run two 0610iNet you need around 15V-24V/40-25A (600W) power supply and they are (a) hard to find and (b) expensive.
The USA version of the DM-330 is rated at 30A or 32A continuous. The specs and photos on the the website are out of date. Yes, still not 600W, but it's a little closer. Of course, this is also the reason, none of the larger chargers come with a built in AC power supply like some of the smaller ones do.

Unfortunately, it's the reality of the cost of the hobby and such is life. If you can't afford the gas don't buy the car. Every modeler is responsible for understanding what they're getting themselves into.

I guess at some point I'll need an Iota or similar. Unfortunately, the largest Astron switcher is 25A continuous although they have linear up to about 75A.
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Feb 15, 2008, 02:46 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,848 Posts
Can you run power supplies in parallel? ie. get two of the 25A radio shack version? I figure you could with a diode in the lines, but are they safe to just connect straight together?
bsoder is offline Find More Posts by bsoder