SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 24, 2007, 05:41 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
Yippee!
I made the leap! Goodby Christmas bonus!!!

I made the leap to a "real" helicopter today. I took adavantage of HobbyLobbys and Towerhobbies 20 percent off sale to buy a Dragonus II and a 7ch heli radio. I've been asking a bunch of questions on these forums, and want to thank everyone who replied to my silly questions.

How far will I get into my build until I need to buy servos (suggestions please) and a gyro (step in here also)? Or will the standard sized digital servos with the radio work?

I have so much to learn, and I wish to thank everyone in advance for your help I'm sure I'm going to need.

Merry Christmas!
flying jeep is offline Find More Posts by flying jeep
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2007, 05:59 PM
Heli Headcase
Cliffside Park, NJ
Joined May 2003
2,551 Posts
in most cases you can get away with building the entire airframe without installing servos or any other electronics. For some frames it may be easier to install servos at a certain point in the build but nothing that should cause you to stop. I doubt the standard digital servos will fit your better off going straight to proven servos for this size class heli such as HS65 or similar. Good luck and congrats on the new heli!
Orion_V is offline Find More Posts by Orion_V
Old Dec 24, 2007, 07:19 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion_V
in most cases you can get away with building the entire airframe without installing servos or any other electronics. For some frames it may be easier to install servos at a certain point in the build but nothing that should cause you to stop. I doubt the standard digital servos will fit your better off going straight to proven servos for this size class heli such as HS65 or similar. Good luck and congrats on the new heli!
Thanks. I thought that might be the case. How long does it take to put one of these contrapitions together?
Thanks, Jay
Old Dec 24, 2007, 08:59 PM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
You can build the entire dragonus before servos are needed. I built mine completely then installed the electronics. Everything is externally mounted. If I remember right it took me about 4-5 hours to build the airframe then another 2-3 hours to solder up all the electronics and install everything and get it setup to fly.
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Dec 24, 2007, 11:30 PM
Heli Headcase
Cliffside Park, NJ
Joined May 2003
2,551 Posts
just take your time to become "intimately" familiar with your heli's mechanics. I actually go slow on purpose because I enjoy the build process so much. Before you know it you will be done and getting that first maiden and of course before you know it you will be tearing down for repairs after your first crash... all part of the learning process but so worth it! I love this hobby.
Orion_V is offline Find More Posts by Orion_V
Old Dec 25, 2007, 06:21 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion_V
just take your time to become "intimately" familiar with your heli's mechanics. I actually go slow on purpose because I enjoy the build process so much. Before you know it you will be done and getting that first maiden and of course before you know it you will be tearing down for repairs after your first crash... all part of the learning process but so worth it! I love this hobby.
Do you think I need one of those ball link tools for installing and removing the links?

Thanks, Jay
Old Dec 25, 2007, 08:18 PM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
I use a pair of needle nose pliers. I can't justify how much a ball link pliers cost when the needle nose work just as well. If I do damage a ball link I've got a lot of spares already

With the dragonus I never needed a ball link sizing tool. The links were perfectly sized already. On other helis I have had to size the links.
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul