Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 24, 2007, 03:33 PM
Athens,Greece
Joined Dec 2007
4 Posts
Question
Headlock gyros

Does anybody knows how headlock gyros works?
How do they know in which direction the nose of the heli is pointing at?

Thanks
pistikos is offline Find More Posts by pistikos
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2007, 03:44 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,601 Posts
Short answer:
They measure the rate of angular rotation and integrate it over time to determine position.

Sort of like if you are going 10 mph and travel for 30 minutes you know you are 5 miles from home.
Then if you go back at 20 miles per hour and you will be home in 15 minutes.
Knowing how fast you were goiing and in which direction you can determine where you are.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 24, 2007, 04:14 PM
Athens,Greece
Joined Dec 2007
4 Posts
Thank you for your answer.
It was very clarifying.

George
pistikos is offline Find More Posts by pistikos
Old Dec 24, 2007, 04:44 PM
Northeast Philadelphia
Joined Nov 2007
362 Posts
All i know is changing from rate gyro to heading lock gyro is like changing your worn tie rods on your car. sure with the loose ball joints you can still drive the car and make turns but more caution needs to be taking(and more thought) when orqestrating turns. I first changed from a cheapy Old school Rate gyro(had a machanical Gyro spinning ina box) to a GY401 on my 30 sized Kyosho Caliber. when i would setup to do a fast FF Drag run the tail would jump to one side and i'd have to correct it somewere into the flight as well as keeping the helicopters heading. when i changed to a Head lock gyro
the helicopter was ROCK SOLID, would not budge the tail was litterally locked unless i turned of head lock mode. at first it took some getting used too after the years with a rate gyro because as i would make a figure 8 the tail would not change its orientation as it did with the rate, i would actually have to maneuver the tail along thoughout the turn. its kinda hard to explain for me lol. sorry for long post. the new headlock gyros use a piezo crystal that measures voltage changes as it turns on its axis. I know this from messing with robotics Gyros we read the gyro's voltage and this in turn gives us the ability to correct it if needed but icouldnt' tell you exactly how the program running in the gyro works. i always wondered myself

Brain
OGBrain is offline Find More Posts by OGBrain
Old Dec 24, 2007, 10:01 PM
Sippin' on Kool Aid
Long Island NY, USA
Joined Dec 2005
2,783 Posts
it is pretty easy, it just counteracts the torque of the main blades by adjusting the pitch of the tail blades to keep the nose pointed in one direction. it doesnt "know" where the nose is, it jsut gets a reading right in the beginning when you start it up, and while you hover, aims to keep it pointed towards that spot
heligrom is offline Find More Posts by heligrom
Old Dec 25, 2007, 01:54 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,241 Posts
http://www.sensorsmag.com/articles/0203/14/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrati...ture_gyroscope
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Dec 25, 2007, 02:16 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,601 Posts
Lots of good info there about how to measure rate of rotation, but nothing about the HH part.
All of that is done in software.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie