HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2007, 01:03 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2007
933 Posts
Discussion
Opinions on Banana Hobby 4 CH Easy Fly 3D Aerobatic Radio Remote Control Electric RC

Any opinions on this plane:

http://www.bananahobby.com/1397.html

for a beginner? The EPP construction and brushless motor along with its relatively affordable price intrigue me. My other hobbies are bicycling, skiing, computers and reef aquariums, so from experience I'd prefer to spend my money on something that works well and will last vs. a beginner POS.

The reason I'm interested in this specific plane is that I love the silent flight of catapault launched gliders, but I'd prefer something with control and easy ascent.
7rider is offline Find More Posts by 7rider
Last edited by 7rider; Dec 24, 2007 at 01:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2007, 04:25 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,765 Posts
A search on these forums didn't bring any answers, so perhaps it's a bit new.

There is a forum specifically for Electric Sailplanes and you could try asking there to see if there are any opinions.

If you have never flown a model before it might be too much to learn on as it doesn't have any natural stability from dihedral wings, (dihedral means the wings are raised up a bit on either side as against flat across).
The Ad does say that it is suitable for beginners, to be honest a lot of model ads say that, well they do want to sell them. You wouldn't just put a person on a bike and expect them to instantly be able to ride it, model flying is similar for the beginner, there's a few scrapes and crashes on the way.

If you have experienced flier willing to help you, then yes it is probably suitable, if not, then there is quite a big risk of it being damaged.

Have a read of the threads at the top of this Beginner Training Area called 'Sticky', they are invaluable to the beginner.

Model flying is fantastic and a great hobby, (addictive, like your other hobbies), but like those, you normally have to start with the correct recommended gear.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Dec 24, 2007, 04:31 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Big gliders take a lot of space and experience in dealing with air currents. That plane may be suitable for beginners who live in an unpopulated area, on top of a hill, overlooking a large valley.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Dec 24, 2007, 05:19 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Hi rider,

The "List Price" of this plane is given as $450.00

This is called deceptive advertising; as you are being led to believe that somehow $450.00 is the normal selling price, but you can now buy it for $199.00

I've never bought anything from Banana Hobby, nor will I ever. I try to stay away from manufacturers and vendors who take me for a fool...

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 10, 2009, 06:55 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Hi rider,

This is called deceptive advertising; as you are being led to believe that somehow $450.00 is the normal selling price, but you can now buy it for $199.00

I've never bought anything from Banana Hobby, nor will I ever. I try to stay away from manufacturers and vendors who take me for a fool...

Chuck
Golly, I fully agree. You can get the whole outfit with radio and everything from Hobby City for about $175 and NO TAX. BH wants $235 delivered!!! Sorry BH, I pass.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Mar 10, 2009, 07:41 PM
When RC attacks!!!
Glendale AZ
Joined Jan 2009
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
Golly, I fully agree. You can get the whole outfit with radio and everything from Hobby City for about $175 and NO TAX. BH wants $235 delivered!!! Sorry BH, I pass.
AJ
Check shipping cost on that. HC with shipping cost me $216 no Tx/Rx, but with 2 lipos and $28 charger. Same plane from Banana less Tx/Rx delivered $204 with a lipo bag, one lipo, oem charger. At any rate Banana is a cluster !@#$ anyway from my experience with them.
StainlessOne is offline Find More Posts by StainlessOne
Old Mar 10, 2009, 07:57 PM
When RC attacks!!!
Glendale AZ
Joined Jan 2009
87 Posts
As to the plane...well as a beginner do you realize just how big that plane is? Please see here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1004618
for how not to fly this plane.

That said I would suggest you consider a powered trainer of atleast rudder and elevator that is sub 40 inches or so. I believe planes of this type would be Multiplex Easystar, .25/.40ish size high wing trainer combo like the estarter or Apprentice. I hear the winged Dragon is a good plane for beginners. Oh heck what am I saying just get a Super Cub, can't go wrong with a Super Cub. After you got that under your belt see my posts about the Hobby Lobby Hawk she is a sweet ship for the price.

If you really want that Easy Fly then all I can say is the cg is at 70mm behind the LE of the wing and you will probably need a couple ounces in the nose. Also, dont tighten the wing bolts to much as it will split the cheapo mounts. Paint the under side of the wings dark and make sure that the surfaces throw in the CORRECT direction especially the elevator...I always learn things the hard way...your milage may vary.
StainlessOne is offline Find More Posts by StainlessOne
Old Mar 15, 2009, 03:45 PM
United States, MS, Jackson
Joined Oct 2006
36 Posts
Ok Guy's look at this web. www.Kampunghobby.com , They are selling the FA-18 for $399.90, F19 $299.00 and more. They are the same planes as BananaHobby.com. I sent them an email and she replys fast.

Hope this helps!!!!

I am not trying to hurt BH, just some other options for those who are scared.
g-rookie is offline Find More Posts by g-rookie
Old May 28, 2009, 02:57 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined May 2009
178 Posts
Quote:
Hi rider,

Chuck
My thoughts exactly. I even posted same thing on another topic.
Grohu is offline Find More Posts by Grohu
Old May 31, 2009, 12:47 PM
Joined May 2009
2 Posts
beware !!! SCAM/FRAUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-rookie
Ok Guy's look at this web. www.Kampunghobby.com , They are selling the FA-18 for $399.90, F19 $299.00 and more. They are the same planes as BananaHobby.com. I sent them an email and she replys fast.

Hope this helps!!!!

I am not trying to hurt BH, just some other options for those who are scared.
BEWARE OF THIS SCAMMER/FRAUD
Kampung hobby INDONESIA
www.kampunghobby.com
Jl. Merawa Medan Km-15 MEDAN
tel. (+62) 617 678 4846
fax. (+62) 617 678 4866

Contact person: SUSANTI ENDANG
sales@kampunghobby.com
esusanti74@yahoo.com

Account information:
Account name: SITI NURARMAYANI
Account number: 022-165-5019
Bank name: Bank Central Asia
Bank adress: BCA KCU Jl. Diponegoro MEDAN
Swift code: CENAIDJA
City: MEDAN

Aswell, FAKE CARGO SITE / FRAUD / SCAMMER
Belawan Cargo Express
www.belawancarex.com

hope it will help
deceived one is offline Find More Posts by deceived one
Old May 31, 2009, 12:55 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deceived one
BEWARE OF THIS SCAMMER/FRAUD
Kampung hobby INDONESIA
www.kampunghobby.com
tel. (+62) 617 678 4846
fax. (+62) 617 678 4866

sales@kampunghobby.com
esusanti74@yahoo.com

Account information:

Aswell, FAKE CARGO SITE / FRAUD / SCAMMER
Belawan Cargo Express
www.belawancarex.com

hope it will help
Lessee...

You probably registered this morning, have one post and that's to bash a company without providing specifics.
Got a story to go along with your accusations?

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old May 31, 2009, 12:57 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined May 2009
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood
Lessee...

You probably registered this morning, have one post and that's to bash a company without providing specifics.
Got a story to go along with your accusations?

mw
Some people want to hide that way in order to remain anonymous... Problem is that IP is recorded anyway and even if it's floating, can be tracked

I agree though. Would be nice to see some info that will verify the story.
Grohu is offline Find More Posts by Grohu
Old May 31, 2009, 01:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deceived one
Kampung hobby INDONESIA
www.kampunghobby.com
tel. (+62) 617 678 4846
fax. (+62) 617 678 4866

sales@kampunghobby.com
esusanti74@yahoo.com

Account information:

hope it will help
Hi deceived one,

It's always nice to have satisfied customers come on an recommend companies. I'll keep them in mind for my next order. How are their prices, competitive?

Thanks again

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 01, 2009, 04:33 AM
Joined May 2009
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grohu
Some people want to hide that way in order to remain anonymous... Problem is that IP is recorded anyway and even if it's floating, can be tracked

I agree though. Would be nice to see some info that will verify the story.

I'm only telling you my experience with "them" if you're considering buying things there.
I'm new at this hobby, wanted to buy my first plane, sent mail to Susanti Endang, got responses ultra fast. Once I payed my planes, no response any more. Realized I've been scammed.

So, be aware, and if you don't believe me, please, don't read this post.
deceived one is offline Find More Posts by deceived one
Old Jun 01, 2009, 10:46 AM
Is getting old...
Canada, Saskatchewan, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2008
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Hi rider,

Chuck
Hello, i had asked Pete about that a while ago. That is the manufactures MRSP price. Just like the parkzone trojans is $400 when they sell it for $250.
quadracer111 is offline Find More Posts by quadracer111