HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2007, 07:12 AM
Joined Jan 2004
2,478 Posts
New Product
New Bantam e-Station "Dual Balance Board" for BC-6 Charger & PB-6 Balancer

They are finally in production and will be available soon!

The new Bantam e-Station "Dual Balance Board" will allow you to charge 2 3S packs or 3 2S packs at the same time through the Balance port of the BC-6 Charger and/or balance through the external e-Station PB-6 balancer.

This project started in early 2007 with protypes being created. Here is the original design. See attached file. Prototypes were created for Align, TP, and Polyquest and each worked flawlessly when connected properly. It was originally a wire design but 2 issues popped up during the Beta testing.

1).It was very easy to incorrectly connect the packs to the harnees which results in a spark and a short.

2). Being made of wire, wear and tear on the wiring harness became evident, hence the large shrink wrap on the ends as you see in the picture.

I decided at this point that the only way to reduce issue # 1 and elliminate issue # 2 was do create this on a pcb board. At the iHobby Show in Chicago in October I met with the owner of Bantam and the VP of Sales and they decided to develop the pcb board version. Prior to this meeting, they were going to make these specifically for RC Accessory. Safety factor was Bantam's # 1 concern and the concern was very much reduced by not making this a wire harness.

I am very pleased to see this project from beginning to end, resolve primary safety issues and supply a very high quality product that we have been asked for by our wonderful customers.

Price is yet to be determined and availability will be hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks.

Evan Chapkis
RC Accessory, Inc
Auth US Bantam Importer
RC Accessory is offline Find More Posts by RC Accessory
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2007, 05:04 AM
Joined Jan 2004
2,478 Posts
These will be in stock in about 3 weeks.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 27, 2007, 07:51 AM
Vriginia Beach
Joined Jul 2007
236 Posts
So I will be able to charge 2 different brand of batteries at the same time?
surjer is offline Find More Posts by surjer
Old Dec 27, 2007, 08:00 AM
Joined Jan 2004
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surjer
So I will be able to charge 2 different brand of batteries at the same time?
No, balance charge 2 batteries of the same brand, size, and voltage at the same time.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:35 AM
Only electrons, Martha
Outside Philadelphia
Joined Nov 2002
2,019 Posts
Hi Evan,

I like the PCB solution. Does it have any intelligence or is it just a routed pcb? I recognize the need to reduce the possibility of short/spark and am curious to know if that was resolved as part of the pcb design?

Happy Holidays,
Shell
ShellDude is offline Find More Posts by ShellDude
Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:43 AM
Joined Jan 2004
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellDude
Hi Evan,

I like the PCB solution. Does it have any intelligence or is it just a routed pcb? I recognize the need to reduce the possibility of short/spark and am curious to know if that was resolved as part of the pcb design?

Happy Holidays,
Shell
No intelligence. With the wire version it was very easy to plug the pack into the wrong socket for example if you had the wiring harness upside down. With the PCB, no chance in that happening.

The wiring harness also showed a wear pattern very quickly that was a major concern. The beta testing of the wiring harness went on for months and with several local users, some expert electric flyers and others beginners. All had the same pattern of use and all made the same mistakes in the hook up.

PCB is the only way to go.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 27, 2007, 11:15 AM
Near Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2004
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Accessory
They are finally in production and will be available soon!

The new Bantam e-Station "Dual Balance Board" will allow you to charge 2 3S packs or 3 2S packs at the same time through the Balance port of the BC-6 Charger and/or balance through the external e-Station PB-6 balancer.

This project started in early 2007 with protypes being created. Here is the original design. See attached file. Prototypes were created for Align, TP, and Polyquest and each worked flawlessly when connected properly. It was originally a wire design but 2 issues popped up during the Beta testing.

1).It was very easy to incorrectly connect the packs to the harnees which results in a spark and a short.

2). Being made of wire, wear and tear on the wiring harness became evident, hence the large shrink wrap on the ends as you see in the picture.

I decided at this point that the only way to reduce issue # 1 and elliminate issue # 2 was do create this on a pcb board. At the iHobby Show in Chicago in October I met with the owner of Bantam and the VP of Sales and they decided to develop the pcb board version. Prior to this meeting, they were going to make these specifically for RC Accessory. Safety factor was Bantam's # 1 concern and the concern was very much reduced by not making this a wire harness.

I am very pleased to see this project from beginning to end, resolve primary safety issues and supply a very high quality product that we have been asked for by our wonderful customers.

Price is yet to be determined and availability will be hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks.

Evan Chapkis
RC Accessory, Inc
Auth US Bantam Importer

Will you be coming out for the same adapters for the BC-8??

Thanks,

Dave
376782 is offline Find More Posts by 376782
Old Dec 27, 2007, 12:10 PM
Joined Jan 2004
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 376782
Will you be coming out for the same adapters for the BC-8??

Thanks,

Dave
Yes! I hope to get delivery schedules for the BC-8 version in the next few weeks. The design is a bit different for the BC-8. First the BC-8 uses a 9 pin connection at the balance port while the BC-6 uses an 8 pin.

On the BC-8, pin #1 is negative on the balancer. On the BC-6, Pins 1 & 2 are negative on the balancer. The trace routes have to be done slightly differently.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 02, 2008, 07:49 AM
United States, TX, Argyle
Joined Jan 2005
709 Posts
Potential Mistake !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Accessory
Yes! I hope to get delivery schedules for the BC-8 version in the next few weeks. The design is a bit different for the BC-8. First the BC-8 uses a 9 pin connection at the balance port while the BC-6 uses an 8 pin.

On the BC-8, pin #1 is negative on the balancer. On the BC-6, Pins 1 & 2 are negative on the balancer. The trace routes have to be done slightly differently.

The connector needed to wire up a battery WITHOUT any taps to the charger BC-6 or to the Balancer PB-6 is
Part number EAC-112/120 http://www.rcaccessory.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=136

This is the wire tap harness needed to connect an UNTAPPED battery (for example A123) to the balancer.

POTENTIAL MISTAKE IS to over look the fact that both black wires need to be twisted together and joined first and then BOTH negative wires go to the 1st negatve pole in the series.

So the 1st negative pole in the series has 3 wires going to it. Two to the balancer and one to the output/discharge lead.

!!!!!!!!!! PINS 1 AND 2 BOTH BOTH BOTH BOTH
NEED TO BE CONNECTED/WIRED TO THE
FIRST NEGATIVE POLE IN THE SERIES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not over looks this. I did and now I need to disassemble and rewire.

I will post some pics later of the correct way to do this.

Microbatman is offline Find More Posts by Microbatman
Last edited by Microbatman; Feb 02, 2008 at 08:09 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2008, 07:51 AM
Joined Jan 2004
2,478 Posts
The new EAC14x boards are now instock and shipping.
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 04, 2008, 06:22 PM
Joined May 2005
5 Posts
Can you use the new EAC14x board to charge a single battery or is this for dual charge only?
Howser is offline Find More Posts by Howser
Old Mar 04, 2008, 08:41 PM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2007
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howser
Can you use the new EAC14x board to charge a single battery or is this for dual charge only?
Yes you can charge one battery with it. Plug a single battery into the #1 port. I use it that way all the time.
tarpon6 is offline Find More Posts by tarpon6
Old Mar 05, 2008, 06:29 AM
Joined Jan 2004
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howser
Yes, just use the B1 socket on the board for 2S or 3S.

RC Accessory,Inc
Auth US Bantam Importer
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 05, 2008, 06:30 AM
Joined Jan 2004
2,478 Posts
Update:

These EAC14x boards will also work on the new e-Station BC6-10 charger.

http://www.rcaccessory.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=354
Site Sponsor