HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2007, 09:28 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined Mar 2006
896 Posts
Discussion
Plane-Blu F-22

Yes, I hear ya...yet another semi-profile F-22.

I decided to cobble one up that could be cut from a single sheet of FFF/Bluecor. It turned out to be quite a quick and easy build, and to boot, she seems to fly pretty darn nicely. The plane pictured below and in the video (to be posted shortly) is a bit of a mild version. It could definitely use more motor, more battery, and even a bit more servo throw (stock shortie arms for now).

Currently it weighs in at 9.3oz. Power is from a 1700kv hexTronik BW spinning an APC 5.5x4.5 being fed from a CSRC 3s1250 "budget" 8c pack. With this setup it's pulling about 6a @ 12,800rpm for 57w/81%eff. Even at this the fresh pack drops to 9.63v at full throttle. On a positive note though, the pack will hold that voltage/amperage for close to 15 minutes of full throttle flying. I'm looking forward to mounting 125-150 watts in the near future. Should really make her scoot.

That's the basics in a nutshell. If anyone is interested I can provide additional info/pictures regarding assembly.

Merry Christmas (Happy Holidays),
golem
golem is offline Find More Posts by golem
Last edited by golem; Dec 24, 2007 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Deleted shrunken plans and added full-sheet PDF.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2007, 10:26 PM
glider pilot in training
United States, AR, Searcy
Joined Aug 2006
637 Posts
nifty
got any full size plans for download?
webdragon is offline Find More Posts by webdragon
Old Dec 23, 2007, 10:37 PM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,621 Posts
Golem, there's never enough. Looks Great. Another gem from your stable.

Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year

B x
Boxhead is offline Find More Posts by Boxhead
Old Dec 24, 2007, 01:53 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
The more the merrier
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Dec 24, 2007, 02:32 AM
Maryland, USA
Joined Mar 2006
896 Posts
Come to think of it, you guys are right...no such thing as R/C gluttony. Thanks kindly!

I just added a full sized plan sheet to the first post. I'm still working on getting the vids posted. The video upload forum is a being a bit cantankerous this evening.

Cheers,
golem
Old Dec 24, 2007, 06:05 AM
Maryland, USA
Joined Mar 2006
896 Posts
Was finally able to get the videos posted, they can be found HERE .

Cheers,
golem
Old Dec 24, 2007, 09:53 AM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,500 Posts
Looks great, low parts count and it has great lines. Guess I'll give it a try, maybe EPP or Depron since I don't have any blue core.

Thanks for posting the plans. It seems that I'm becoming addicted to prop-jets after flying only 3D planes for the past 4 yrs or so.
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Dec 24, 2007, 11:02 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,496 Posts
Golem, Lookin good!
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:07 AM
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Aug 2003
71 Posts
Hi Golem,

Nice plane! Do you have the tiled PDF so I can print out the plans and splice them together? Hope so!

Merry Christmas!
cfv007 is offline Find More Posts by cfv007
Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:24 AM
Maryland, USA
Joined Mar 2006
896 Posts
Thanks again guys!

I too am finding the change from 3D flying a bit refreshing. Enough so that I decided to sneak away from the main family festivities and get a few flights in on this very calm and sunny, if a bit chilly, day.

Third time out with this model and first time in what turned out to be most favorable of weather. With it now properly trimmed and CG-tweaked it handles brilliant. Small and large loops are nice and straight with no wandering out. I have also found she likes to fly inverted just as much as canopy up. At speed the rolls are nice and axial and decently quick. With just a bit more motor for additional speed and/or a bit more elevon deflection I expect rolls would be in an eye blink. At the other end of the spectrum I am also finding it to be very stable in slow speed flight. With just a tad bit of power she will alpha at about 35-40 degrees and just float by.

I'm actually surprised this version flyies so well first time off the drawing board considering its faithfulness to the namesake. I transferred all outline dimensions almost exactly. The only liberties taken was a very small change in designing at the exhaust nozzle area.

I'm itching to upgrade on power so as soon as I decide and make the switch I'll try and get some more video.

Merry Christmas!
golem
Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:33 AM
Maryland, USA
Joined Mar 2006
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfv007
Nice plane! Do you have the tiled PDF so I can print out the plans and splice them together? Hope so!

Merry Christmas!
Thanks! Unfortunately I have no app for PDF tiling. I'll bet there is a kind sole reading this that might provide us a Christmas gift? Still, I'll see what I can do.

Also, if anyone gets around to actually building one of these I would be happy to give a quick 1-2-3 how-to in regards to very easy assembly of the bottom pod. You'd be surprised how simple it really is to get those angles.

Merry Christmas!
golem
Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:33 AM
Joined Aug 2003
71 Posts
Youre lucky to be able to fly today. The wind here in socal where I live is blowing about 40 mph. Its been blowin hard all night. Not sure how Santa was able to maneuver his sleigh and reindeer around through the gale forces!

Do you have the tiled PDF version of your plans?

Merry Christmas
Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:35 AM
Joined Aug 2003
71 Posts
oops ok ... I think our posts were crossing each other. Thanks for the response.

Chuck
Old Dec 27, 2007, 08:30 PM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Jul 2007
202 Posts
Golem
Thanks for the plan, I like the idea of covering the elec. w/ that lowered bottem. I need help w/ the CG, where did you end up ?

I've built and love the f-22 posted by dekan ( design from Kosk and Firetrap) Thanks guys.

I'm scaling yours up to 30" hope to be under 24oz (lots of battery) with 40 oz thrust @ close to 80 mph. A low kv and amps / high volts and watts. I'm a little new so this will be an experiment. I know how to get speed and low weight w/ high kv and small prop, but it seems hard to get major thrust from that. I want both.
Thanks again

greg
grali is offline Find More Posts by grali
Old Dec 27, 2007, 09:07 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by golem
Thanks! Unfortunately I have no app for PDF tiling. I'll bet there is a kind soul reading this that might provide us a Christmas gift? Still, I'll see what I can do. ...
Here's the single-sheet plan scaled 1x and tiled, LETTER, with ScaleAndTile3.

Merry Christmas!
Bill Segraves
segraves is offline Find More Posts by segraves
Last edited by segraves; Dec 28, 2007 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Added A4 tiles