Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 21, 2007, 10:06 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Mini-Review
1963 Lyman Soft Top Sleeper in Review

OK boys and girls, I was going to hold off starting the review thread on the Lyman Soft Top Sleeper until There was substantial progress, but it just didn't work out that way.

Right after dinner, we heard a camotion on the front porch, which turned out to be the UPS man dropping off the kit. The box hadn't even warmed up yet when the top was off and the contents revealed. My first impresion is that this is a very nice kit!

After settling in and spending a little time looking over the plans and instructions I could see that this was going to be a terrific build. The mahogany, ply, and balsa is 100% laser cut, and very nicely done. There were also 4 seperate boxes containing the drive gear, motor, horn kit, and light kit. Upon inspecting the contents I found the components to be of the typical high quality you would expect from Rich Koll and M.A.C.K. Products.

And then, I opened the large box which contained the drive system components, plus all of the hardware and deck fittings, which are nothing short of spectacular -- 35 bags worth of spectacular. My first though was that everything was there but the kitchen sink -- then upon closer inspection I found it in there too!

Before the build begins I need to spend some quality time with the instructions and detail drawings to become familiar with the building sequence. At first glance, the kit is almost intimidating, simply because there's so much of it. But from what I've seen so far, the instructions and detail drawings appear to be well laid out, so the build should go well also.

Can't wait to get started!

PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2007, 11:07 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,785 Posts
Hey! no fair!!! yours made it to your doorstep before mine!!!

I'll be watching closely!
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Dec 21, 2007, 11:11 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Aero, Sorry, just the luck of the draw I guess.

PAT
Old Dec 21, 2007, 11:18 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,785 Posts
Hee hee, I've been watching these being delivered... First Maine, then TN, next NM... CA must be next!!!
Old Dec 22, 2007, 08:14 AM
Joined Nov 2005
222 Posts
I was scared off by the $350.00 price tag. But since it comes with ALL of those extras then it seems justified. I had no idea that it came with motor, lights, horn, ect.
Bruce
papower is offline Find More Posts by papower
Old Dec 22, 2007, 08:31 AM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,561 Posts
Papa, The motor, lights, horn are optional, not part of the kit. It shows this on the MACK website.
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Dec 22, 2007, 09:17 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Bruce, I agree, $350.00 sounds like a big chunk, even though the kit doesn't include the motor, ESC, but it does include and all the drive system components. Plus, the deck fittings are far nicer then you can imagine without seeing them. This is a nice kit, and even at that price. it looks like a bargain to me. And just look at all the hours of enjoyment the kit will bring in both building, and running.

Aero, maybe the UPS Guy dropped of my kit on the way to your house. It does appear he's moving westward!

PAT
Old Dec 22, 2007, 01:16 PM
Ray Farina
Northeast Pennsylvania
Joined Jan 2006
244 Posts
I have seen two of them up in his shop. AND BOY they are two beautiful models. I have taken regular photoes of all of the models that he had completed about two years, so he could show off his work. I gave him both the pictures in a book and the negatives. I had used a professional film that was for vivid color and they certainly did his models justice.
Ray Farina is offline Find More Posts by Ray Farina
Old Dec 23, 2007, 10:09 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,707 Posts
I thought I would clear up any confusion on the power package and light package for the LYMAN kit. Both packages are optional for the boat kit and can be purchased separately. The light package that PAT received for the review is the complete package, but the power package for the review did not included the ASTRO FLIGHT #208D electronic speed control which is in the package. Since Pat already had a speed control from a previous build I saw no reason to duplicate. If any one wished to use their speed control for their model they could order the rest of the power package components separately from MACK. I must stress that at MACK what we say is the truth, and when we recommend something it is because we have tested it and it meets our standards.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Dec 23, 2007, 02:03 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,785 Posts
I've always been pleased with the service/products I've recieved from MACK!
Old Dec 23, 2007, 03:33 PM
Mt Airy Maryland
Joined Aug 2004
207 Posts
All right you guys! Now don't make me sell my new SR eindecker I just finished and buy one so cut out the excitement!!

Bud
Bud Faulkner is offline Find More Posts by Bud Faulkner
Old Dec 23, 2007, 04:58 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Faulkner
Now don't make me sell my new SR eindecker
Bud
I am always surprised to learn that model boaters are also model airplane drivers. Why does that surprise me? I don't know, as I am an airplane driver as well as a model boat driver.

As well as a r/c car driver, motorcycle driver, stadium truck driver, monster truck driver, hovercraft driver, armor tank driver, armor LAV driver.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Dec 23, 2007, 05:30 PM
Mt Airy Maryland
Joined Aug 2004
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
I am always surprised to learn that model boaters are also model airplane drivers. Why does that surprise me? I don't know, as I am an airplane driver as well as a model boat driver.

As well as a r/c car driver, motorcycle driver, stadium truck driver, monster truck driver, hovercraft driver, armor tank driver, armor LAV driver.
I think KMOT has too much time on his hands.

Bud
Bud Faulkner is offline Find More Posts by Bud Faulkner
Old Dec 23, 2007, 11:07 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,863 Posts
LOL, well you know not all at the same time. Most are collecting dust but they are there if I want to run them.

Okay, back to Pats build thread on the Lyman. Sorry Pat!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Dec 24, 2007, 07:58 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
The Build is Underway

Got started building the Lyman, and so far have found everything to fit every bit as nice as it looks.

It all begins with laminating and assembling the balsa and lite ply keel.