HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GWS CHEN, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 08, 2009, 11:32 AM
Fan-atic
Plain ole KS
Joined Jan 2008
1,653 Posts
Honestly i didnt check the static thrust. I had another motor installed in the stock fan that checked out at 850 grams thrust static, but once in the air it was not impressive at all. Static thrust is important for a hand launch but once youre in the air and up to speed the static thrust wont mean much untill you slow down to a crawl speed. Honestly my opinion is that this fan makes good statich thrust but just doesnt have good eflux velocity. But thats just my opinion.
cray2602 is offline Find More Posts by cray2602
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2009, 04:36 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,202 Posts
Just dropping in to let know I have one of these coming. Will be starting a build / discussion thread as I did for my A-4 once it gets here. It will not be stock powered as it is a NPS kit so a new thread is order for my build. Plus it will be modified to take full advantage of what its gonna get.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Apr 29, 2009, 06:00 PM
Fan-atic
Plain ole KS
Joined Jan 2008
1,653 Posts
Nice, cant wait. Ive watched a few of your builds. Anything that pushes the A-4 around with authority should make this J-10 rip as well.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 05:32 AM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,202 Posts
Cray, That is the hope. I will burn something up trying .

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Apr 30, 2009, 05:36 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,711 Posts
How about Landers new 76mm fan on 6s, 2kg thrust at 60 amps
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old May 16, 2009, 12:32 AM
what it do everybody?
a swamp naturally
Joined Mar 2008
664 Posts
This sound good to you guys?

On the main delta wing, I have elevons (ailerons + elevators). I have a servo independently controlling each canard and have it set to my rudder stick and the result is "aileron" type movement. So I'll maiden with independent control of the canards with low/high rates. Can you imagine what it'll do if you just snap the front canards into full deflection

So I'll be turning as if it were a plane with aileron & rudder. The hope is to be able to figure out the right mix and do a rudder to aileron mix. Unless someone has some percentages and deflection that has worked for them
zaskarkid is offline Find More Posts by zaskarkid
Old May 16, 2009, 12:57 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,699 Posts
Hi Zaskarkid,

My colleagues who flew the prototyped J-10 in Taiwan told me that they found out the elevons worked much better than the canards. They applied these two canards as an aid only for keeping right attitude when landing this fighter, especially during its final approach.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old May 16, 2009, 02:38 AM
what it do everybody?
a swamp naturally
Joined Mar 2008
664 Posts
Well, I'll have both on different sticks so it'll be interesting to use both/either. At the very least, I can wiggle the canards while the jet is sitting on the ground to impress people

I wasn't sure about the looks, but now that it's in my hands, it's a beautiful kit GWS.
Old May 16, 2009, 07:07 AM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Hi Zaskarkid,

I set mine up to work on the elevon stick, and act as forward elevons, so to speak

so when the elevons are up the leading edge of both canards are up and carnard leading edge down when the elevons are in down pitch attitude.

also they were set up as ailerons surfaces as well

needless to say it was very roll responsive and stable and loops were quite quick as the nose was pitching up from the canards as well as the tail going down. In spite of what others had told me it was a very stable set up and short field landings were gentle

I set up the rudder separate from aileron control

Chuck
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Old May 16, 2009, 09:34 AM
what it do everybody?
a swamp naturally
Joined Mar 2008
664 Posts
I glued my rudder solid, so there's no movement. I currently have the canards set up as another set of ailerons, but on the rudder stick.

So you basically had the carnards copy the exact movement of the elevons? Are your rolls axial? What's your auw?
Old May 16, 2009, 10:28 AM
Fan-atic
Plain ole KS
Joined Jan 2008
1,653 Posts
If you use the canards as ailerons as well you should dial in a ton of dual rate. It might be extrememly sensitive on roll axis.
Old May 16, 2009, 10:38 AM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaskarkid
So I'll be turning as if it were a plane with aileron & rudder. The hope is to be able to figure out the right mix and do a rudder to aileron mix. Unless someone has some percentages and deflection that has worked for them
zaskarkid - The canards are not going to give you yaw control like a rudder no matter how you set them up, because they are not in the right plane for that. You can set them up to help control pitch, or roll, or both pitch and roll. Since the J-10 is already very roll-sensitive even with small deflections of the elevons alone, I set my J-10 canards up to only assist in pitch control. I have a two-servo canard setup too, and I used two mixes on my DX6 to set it up (link).
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old May 16, 2009, 05:16 PM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
I set up the suggested manual throw rates and found it to be less sensitive to both pitch and roll than the A-4.

IMHO me senstivity is a very relative thing, If you fly alot of 3D this set up is not that sensitive If you fly alot of pattern I could see where it could be considered quickly responsive, but not out of line for an intermerdiate skill level.

Chuck
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Old May 17, 2009, 01:34 AM
what it do everybody?
a swamp naturally
Joined Mar 2008
664 Posts
The ailerons are extremely sensitive. I almost lost it on the maiden. I have them down to a few mm with expo. So stable when it's right, that I can maintain level wot passes a few ft off the ground. So pretty to see a unique delta wing flyby, and easy to flare the landings. Auw on 4s 3000mah is 1300g (no paint). And I haven't installed the lower tail fins.

Oddly, I had to reverse the canards to get the plane to go in the right direction. It causes it to go into a slight downward nose dive, which might be good way to enter a turn after a climb. I'll fuss with it some more.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 05:33 AM
Save a tree fly a foamy
petaluma CA
Joined Apr 2005
347 Posts
Just got my j-10 . This is a very cool kit . First thing I did was run the motor , that thing pulls good, I got about 350 watts at 33 amp's on 3 cells.
S.Davy is online now Find More Posts by S.Davy