SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by GWS CHEN, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 01, 2008, 04:30 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_y2k2
that's meant to be red... lol. Any pink appearance is merely your monitor, honest.

Not sure on weight - the retracts should weigh 49g apparently, plus 3 9g servos and linkages. I've chopped of a fair bit of length from the legs though. If I had to guess I'd say the whole lot, wheels and all weighs about 90g-100g... worth it for the cool factor though! No idea what the normal gear weighs, but seeing as I'd be using either one or the other you can scrub that off the weight gain.

bad news is one of my elevon servos has significantly more travel than the other... go figure. Same servo, same age... just as well i checked otherwise it would have rolled like crazy on any elevator input! Going to have to order two new ones now I guess!
No need for new servos, this happened to me, it is the mixing in the radio. They both move the same up to a point and then one keeps moving right? Try lowing the EPA function for channel 2 in your radio.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2008, 05:27 PM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
no, at any given input the left one is more deflected than the other, and the difference get's proportionally worse the higher the deflection.

sorry, what's EPA? End Point Adjustment?

edit - you're right though it is in the mixing.... by changing the travel of elevator it's affecting the servo plugged into the elevator slot, not the elevator function. same with aileron....

so how am I suppose to set up different travel for aileron and elevator?

edit 2 - aaaaah, i change it in the dual rates and expo part, not the travel adjust. I see. lol.

Cheers Tarro - saved me buying two more servos there!

Even with the mixing taken out one still had slightly more travel than the other - I've managed to equal them out with a bit of tweaking on the travel adjust menu. Aileron throw seems so tiny at the figures given in this thread, does that really give enough aileron authority, especially at slow speed? My typhoon had loads of aileron movement and had a reasonably controlled roll rate. This does have full span elevons so I can imagine them being a bit more effective, but even so... I guess I'll just have to trust you guys!
rusty_y2k2 is offline Find More Posts by rusty_y2k2
Last edited by rusty_y2k2; Nov 01, 2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2008, 05:16 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
"Aileron throw seems so tiny at the figures given in this thread, does that really give enough aileron authority"
4mm and 50% expo on the ailerons, would I lie to you?
Old Nov 02, 2008, 07:04 AM
Joined Sep 2006
255 Posts
Pls do not follow aileron throw on the instruction! For EDF, 4mm is proven. We learnt it the hard way, by breaking foam. At least dial a dual rate with 4mm as one of the rate if you have doubt.However I am unsure of the pusher confique. None of us flew the pusher.

I have some sad news, my 9C TX telescopic antenna fail on me after 4 years. Lost control of the J-10 on base turning final. Hit the grd hard, broke into 2 and tore out the retracts. Major canage on the intake.

Good news is I am rebuilding it, since it will be in the hangar, I am setting it up for 4S now with same motor with 80% EPA on the throttle. It is more for endurance increase than performance, having said that, the performance will increase too I am sure.

Will post picture of repair aircraft once done. Will be changing paint scheme a little also to have 'More Bite'

Major grafting of foam and rebuilt of the intake in progress.

cheers
kevin
vortices is offline Find More Posts by vortices
Old Nov 02, 2008, 08:06 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Sorry to hear the bad news, why done you just buy a new, there only $60 at EJF?
Last edited by Tarro; Nov 02, 2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2008, 04:36 PM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
installing retracts can be a bit of a pain - if (or should that be when.....) mine crashed i'd buy a new kit but end up cutting and splicing the damaged parts out for new if you catch my drift....

I have got my fuel drop tanks attached now, and have the red paint on according to my scheme posted on the last page... struggling to find a dark grey foam safe spray paint though.... I don't think light grey will cut it.

I'll trust you guys on the aileron throws lol.
Last edited by rusty_y2k2; Nov 02, 2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2008, 02:33 AM
Joined Sep 2006
255 Posts
The damage is not bad enough to render a new one. Anyway repair is complete. Just painting left. My proposed new livery on the intake...
Old Nov 03, 2008, 05:26 PM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
I quite like it - looks funky.

I wondered if that's what you were hinting at when you said more bite lol. Lovely looking plane that one, can i ask what pilots you used?
Old Nov 03, 2008, 05:38 PM
Joined Sep 2006
255 Posts
hello,

Painting it on the plane now. Cant wait to see it in the air again, with the Shark Bite.

The pilots a 1' styro foam balls hand painted and lightly detail. Do goto following link for details. Its my build thread on my loacl forum.

http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33649

cheers
Kevin
Old Nov 04, 2008, 05:21 PM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
good thread... your plane is awesome!

Just thought I'd add a pic of mine with the drop tanks since I got a chance to add them, and the red part of the paint scheme. Still trying to find a dark grey paint
Old Nov 05, 2008, 02:23 AM
Joined Sep 2006
255 Posts
Hello,

The repair is complete and so is the painting. Ready to remaiden on 4S.
Will post results.

Cheers
kevin
Old Nov 05, 2008, 06:17 PM
FAA Commercial Pilot
Taiwan
Joined Sep 2008
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortices
Hello,

The repair is complete and so is the painting. Ready to remaiden on 4S.
Will post results.

Cheers
kevin
Nice painting.....
one J-10 is under my friend's construction and so is the painting.....
I also will keep posted.....

gws shaqchang is offline Find More Posts by gws shaqchang
Last edited by gws shaqchang; Nov 06, 2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2008, 05:35 AM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
vortices - I can't even tell she crashed... what was the damage and what did you repair with?

New addition to the paint scheme looks great, top job - must look cool in the air. I finally found some dark sea grey paint in a spray can so i'll be able to finish my paintjob off once that gets here. Might get to maiden her this weekend (sans paintjob) this weekend!
Old Nov 12, 2008, 09:37 AM
Joined Sep 2006
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_y2k2
vortices - I can't even tell she crashed... what was the damage and what did you repair with?

New addition to the paint scheme looks great, top job - must look cool in the air. I finally found some dark sea grey paint in a spray can so i'll be able to finish my paintjob off once that gets here. Might get to maiden her this weekend (sans paintjob) this weekend!

The picture is some what low resolution, the joints is clearly visible under the paint. It broke in half behind the cockpit and the intake was crushed, The rh wing leading edge was jagged. All were fixed, with a little time and effort. Hopefully it flies the same or better. Will post some airbourne pictures.

cheers
Old Nov 12, 2008, 06:40 PM
FAA Commercial Pilot
Taiwan
Joined Sep 2008
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortices
The picture is some what low resolution, the joints is clearly visible under the paint. It broke in half behind the cockpit and the intake was crushed, The rh wing leading edge was jagged. All were fixed, with a little time and effort. Hopefully it flies the same or better. Will post some airbourne pictures.

cheers
From my point of view, revamping planes can hardly be avoided....
some of my planes last for over 5 years old....
so it makes sense...dude

BTW, ShaQ is not good at taking flying photos....
but I will & still try to take one shot....
gws shaqchang is offline Find More Posts by gws shaqchang