HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GWS CHEN, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 07, 2008, 10:48 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMinKENTUCKY
Thanks Herb ... was wondering exactly how many millimeters of throw you have on the ailerons, elevator, and canard. ...
I fly mine with +- 4mm on ailerons, +-10mm on elevator and +-12mm on canards, all measured at inner trailing edge. Due to the relatively small wingspan, it's quite touchy on the ailerons.
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2008, 01:01 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
I note that the rated max RPM for the ARC-28-37-2 is 32,000 and the max rated current is 35 amps. So you may have the same over-speed problem as the GWS Motor, especially if a 25C or better battery is used. I obtained a reading of just over 37,000 RPM with the new GWS EDF-75 fan and motor when using a 25 C 2250 mAh battery.

Sometime in the next 24 hours I will have installed thrust and current readings for the older GWS 2837-2 with the new GWS-75 fan.

Ken

Ken,

The motor specs on the website is VERY underated. As long as you have adequate cooling the 28-47-1 can go over 1kW of input power. I am not planning on 1kW power, though.

If you are interested, have a look at the thread here on RCGroups

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630759

The 28-47-1.5 can go over 700kW with sufficient cooling.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Feb 08, 2008, 01:30 AM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
2,010 Posts
chewy,

FYI on the ARC motors.

Several local guys here are flying Twisters with the ARC 1.5 motors and WeMoTec fan units. They use a 5s battery and fly close to 100 mph. The battery used are the Hextronik 2300 mah 5s.

A friend put the ARC 2.5 motor in his J10 using a 3 cell battery and he didn't feel it was as powerful as the GWS motor that came with his GWS A-4.

Good luck,
Kevin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm
Well, so much for the "free" motor. Looks like I will be getting an ARC motor. What do you think of this one?: 28-47-1.5 or 28-47-1 www.lightflightrc.com

chewy
RCDad is offline Find More Posts by RCDad
Old Feb 08, 2008, 02:43 AM
gws-online-dealer
Winterthur, Switzerland
Joined Jan 2006
591 Posts
The 1000W are fine, but it would be the high rpm on the magnets which could pull them away.
Remember that in an inrunner it is the magnets that are sitting on the motor shaft, and those high rpm put the best glue to the test then....
It is much easier to make an outrunner go 50000rpm (magnets are pressed into its housing) then to make an inrunner go 40000rpm (magnets are pulled away from its glue).
1000W to me look like you could swing a pretty big rotor with it at around 30000rpm.

Most of you shure did know all about that.

Sven
gws-rc-models.ch is offline Find More Posts by gws-rc-models.ch
Last edited by gws-rc-models.ch; Feb 08, 2008 at 02:50 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2008, 12:03 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Feb 2008
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm
Mr Lin,

The motor on my J-10 just died today. We were flying it with a NEW HXT 2500mAH 25C 3S lipo yesterday when the motor just quit part-way thru the flight. A deadstick landing was performed beautifully and no damage was done, this plane floats/glides quite well.

Anyway, after taking the fan apart, I found that the motor would not turn smoothly. There is something jammed up in there. There is a burnt smell but the windings appear to be quite shinny with no burnt insulation. BTW, the battery was sure hot after landing, if it was supposed to be only a 40-45A draw from a batts capable for 2500x25/1000= 62.5A. Why should it be drawing that much to make the batts that hot. I just hope it did not kill them as I have just received them from HobbyCity on Tuesday.

BTW, Gong Xi Fa Chai to you and everyone at GWS.

chewy
Chinese products are strange.

Generally, they have good price on them
but the quality is like a draw. Some of them
are really good, others are really bad.

And GWS is chinese company, is it not?
I have been using the GWS Inrunner BL Motor 2028 3900KV (Green)
and it is my one of my all time favorite motors, whilst
its brother Inrunner BL Motor 2028 4600KV (Blue) is so bad.
But I have fun with GWS stuffs.

Also, the same with that chinese Hobbycity stuffs,
Their products are cheap and they are so fun to play with.

ARC motors are good for the Price, but they are a bit less efficient
and a bit heavier than their counterparts.

The fun is how to select the right stuffs for our pleasure.
tail-heavy is offline Find More Posts by tail-heavy
Old Feb 08, 2008, 12:06 PM
East Hartford, CT
Joined Sep 2006
1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tail-heavy
ARC motors are good for the Price, but they are a bit less efficient
and a bit heavier than their counterparts.
less efficient than GWS/HobbyCity motors.... I think not...
wedge98 is offline Find More Posts by wedge98
Old Feb 08, 2008, 12:16 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Feb 2008
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge98
less efficient than GWS/HobbyCity motors.... I think not...
nope, same as GWS/Hobbycity motors. But
less efficient than AXI, Mega, Hacker, Kontronic and the like
Old Feb 08, 2008, 12:42 PM
East Hartford, CT
Joined Sep 2006
1,304 Posts
I am 100% certain Arc motors are more efficient than the run of the mill hextronics/KDA/etc motors from UH as well as the GWS motors. But no need to have a pissing contest. I'll get some data and post it up later.
wedge98 is offline Find More Posts by wedge98
Old Feb 08, 2008, 02:47 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Feb 2008
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge98
I am 100% certain Arc motors are more efficient than the run of the mill hextronics/KDA/etc motors from UH as well as the GWS motors. But no need to have a pissing contest. I'll get some data and post it up later.

Yes, I believe that those heavy ARC motors
are perfect for the GWS J-10, Multiplex Twister and
any EDF jets which have no weight-sensitive issue.
Other than that I would look other way around.
Old Feb 08, 2008, 03:16 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Actully I need a bit more weight at the tail to balance the batts unless I hack way back under the cockpit to fit them in.

This is just a reminder to someone just starting their build: Check your batteries and tiral fit them before glueing the fuselage halves together. It's way easier to make room for your batts before glueing the halves together. Also, so far, I have found that you really need to stuff the batts waaay back under the cockpit towards the rear in order to achieve the cg as indicated on the instructions. That cg appears to me to be good.

Btw, thanks for all the replies folks, I think I will get the ARC 28-47-1.5 and run it on 4s

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Feb 08, 2008, 11:48 PM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
Happy New Year.

This is the motor that came with my Early Bird J-10. It is not the "Red" motor. Is it going to burn up?

Please advise.
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
Old Feb 09, 2008, 12:23 AM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,199 Posts
Wannabe, Looks like the motor you got is the newer higher output motor. Possibly with the new GWS-75 too. Make good and sure its balanced and runs smooth as possible. Other than that good luck.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Feb 09, 2008, 12:27 AM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
Thans Jason. I thought the "Red" motors were newer higher outpt ones. Mine has a 4 blade rotor.
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
Old Feb 09, 2008, 12:31 AM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,199 Posts
When they say red / white / blue / green I think its just thier designation. Doesn't mean thats what color they are. My A-4 came with the old motor and it looks just like yours. The rotors all look the same from the outside. But the newer ones have webbing inside the hub for improved strength. I beleive the new motored fans were all the new rotor design.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Feb 09, 2008, 12:46 AM
hotrod builder
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2007
1,156 Posts
I flew mine again today 5 times. I really am beginning to like this plane and she really scoots with that hi-maxx fan set-up I bought for it
Added a tapered thrust tube and gained about 10 MPH
The stock exhaust pipe is way to big for a 69 MM fan
Looks even to big for a 75 MM fan
This one gets alot of attention at the field
I plan on getting another for retract installation and a 2w20 motor and 6904 fan set up
usmc_VTOL_mech is offline Find More Posts by usmc_VTOL_mech