HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GWS CHEN, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 11:10 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN
Chewy,

Forget this crazy idea if you care about your budget.

Chen

Budget? Sheeeee! That's a dirty word. Btw, what is the problem with 4S and the budget? Will I burn the motor, you mean? If that's the case, I will have to replace it with an ARC motor.

Hmm I have a 4900kV inrunner 28mmx47mm long that will take 50A Would that be better than your stock motor on 3S?

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2008, 11:21 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Pls do not use 4S for GWS 2815 RED!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm
Thank you. The esc I used was a HXT 80A with a separate 3A BEC. I might try the 4S one day, but not soon. Maybe some braver soul will try it first.

chewy
Pls do not use 4S for GWS 2815 RED!!! You will kill motor in short time!
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Jan 28, 2008, 11:59 AM
Dam Dutch Fokker.
USA, UT, Farmington
Joined Jul 2003
312 Posts
I just got off the phone with Terry a Darehobbies. They have a lot of armament missiles ,smart bombs ,and Jet drop tanks . The Drop tanks are not on their web site Stock # 1035-4 is 11" X 1-1/4" and 1035-5 is 13.75"X1.875" $ 7.95 each and $ 8.95 each .Call Terry at Dare Hobbies 1-800-578-3273
THREEWING is offline Find More Posts by THREEWING
Old Jan 28, 2008, 12:07 PM
hotrod builder
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2007
1,156 Posts
Threewing
I go to micheals (craft store)
and get cylinders shapes made from foam
Then I just sand my own droptanks
as for the sidewinder and amram missle I use straws with depron fins on the back
looks great and super cheap and light
usmc_VTOL_mech is offline Find More Posts by usmc_VTOL_mech
Old Jan 28, 2008, 12:22 PM
United States, CA, Downey
Joined Jun 2005
1,807 Posts
Threewing & VTOL U guys are the "BOMB" Thanks for the great Ideas, I'm on my way to micheals Now!!! I really like the super cheap and light.
Jcopter
Jcopter is offline Find More Posts by Jcopter
Old Jan 28, 2008, 12:54 PM
United States, CA, Downey
Joined Jun 2005
1,807 Posts
Hey does anyone have any Good Ideas for applying the new decals? They don't want to go into the fuse lines or the panel bumps want to tear them, Can I use a Decal Setting Liquid or will it melt the foam What have U done?
Jcopter
Jcopter is offline Find More Posts by Jcopter
Old Jan 28, 2008, 12:57 PM
hotrod builder
Joined Jun 2007
1,156 Posts
Jcopter
No sweat man
Sometimes I just go to stores like micheals and just check out what they have and it gives me ideas
You can also use estes rocket bodies for the missles but
it's not as cheap
You would be amazed at the stuff you can find around the house to add little details to planes
Old Jan 28, 2008, 02:48 PM
Dam Dutch Fokker.
USA, UT, Farmington
Joined Jul 2003
312 Posts
Jcopter, if you put a drop or two of dish soap in the soak water and keep it quit warm it helps , also if you spray the surface with windex or window cleaner, where you are going to place the decal it will be easyer to move the decal into place ,it floats it off the surface , use damp tissue to blott the decal into the panel line and over rivits.
THREEWING is offline Find More Posts by THREEWING
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:32 AM
USA, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Jul 2001
1,463 Posts
I plan to start on mine using LM 3s 25c 2250 pack, 3500kv heli outrunner, stock fan and UltraFly hermes 35 ESC. This combo gives me around 350 watts peak settling down to 330 after a minute. Fine enough for me for some scale flying.
Mine will have canards fixed but I need to find out if the stock neutral position is correct.
Interesting thing about this ESC (cheap at tower) when it's running under governor mode throttle response is super smooth and is revs up like real jet engine, it has built in delay in initial startup, feature for helis I guess. This can be programed back to normal mode.

Anyone can confirm this regarding canards?
darmar is offline Find More Posts by darmar
Old Jan 29, 2008, 03:54 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_VTOL_mech
latinflyer
Epyaya.com
Nelson just picked up those fan units today I snatched me one up
He hasn't added them to the website yet though
Kinda expensive though
Almost twice as much as the j10 NPS kit
It is a tad bit smaller than the GWS unit but is a 5 blade
Some depron spacing takes care of that though
Here are some pics of mine ready to install
I am a bit confused on the control surfaces though
The wing controls are set up as a delta correct?
Are the kanards set up like a delta also or do they move in the same direction all the time?
Epyaya has just put up a receiver-ready combo deal based on that Himax fan unit and motor (link), for both the J-10 and A-4. What kind of work was involved in installing that in the J-10?...just wrapping that thin layer of foam around it and holding it in with the force of the fan compartment lid?...or cutting a different groove too? Did you do any bench testing (watts/amps/thrust)? Looking forward to a flight report!
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Jan 29, 2008, 04:21 PM
hotrod builder
Joined Jun 2007
1,156 Posts
Herk1

Kinda funny you asked this right now. Epyaya just called me asking the same thing....and I have yet to maiden
Should get a maiden flight in today and will get a report tonight on here
Old Jan 29, 2008, 08:54 PM
hotrod builder
Joined Jun 2007
1,156 Posts
Ok Herk1
Got the J-10 maidened today
2 flights total before I ran out of light
1st attempt
Rolled down the runway (I fly from a paved 400ft runway) like a dragster about 325 feet with no liftoff before I aborted
2nd attempt
Rolled down the runway with full power and finally lifted off about the 300 foot mark...took about half elevator stick to finally get her airborne
(I am flying with the canards working in cunjunction with the elevators using a single servo mixed into elevators)
She is flying!...Flying quite well too but really wierd looking...kinda a nose high attitude about 30 Degrees but did not seem in the least bit tailheavy
Flew her for around 4 minutes on a 3300 Mah battery and my camo scheme works like a charm! Below the treeline she all but disappears from view!
Landing
I landed kinda hot but I figured if she was tailheavy I would have to.
Came in and really greased the landing...settled down on the mains first then dropped the nose....wow that was really easy!
Recharged the lipo putting 1040 Mah back into it and figured I would lower the front of the canards down to help get rid of that funky way it flies
3rd attempt
Since I knew what to expect I just jammed the throttle and managed to get her airborne around the 250 foot mark this time....just did not want to rise before that...whoooaa!! heading 45 degrees towards the ground with the stick at neutral!...maybe lowering the canards was not such a good idea
Trimmed in all the up elevator I had and she seemed to settle into a level flight...but still funky looking with a slight nose high attitude
This time I tried a few aileron rolls and good lord this thing must have been rolling at a rate of about 5 rolls per second!...definately gotta dial down the ailerons a tad
Speed wasn't too shabby for such a big plane....about 45 to 50 Mph I would guesstimate....easily twice as fast as my a-4 though.....again greased another landing ....this thing lands soooo easy...even on throttle...the rollout is nuts after landing...used up almost all of the 400 foot runway trying to slow down without trashing the wingtips
2 flights and still in one piece...I say this one is a keeper
Now why in the world does it fly with a nose high attitude?
My first guess...would be tailheavy.....but she flew very nice if that is what it is
But if it is tailheavy than WHY does it not want to rotate up off the ground?
My guess from not wanting to rotate is noseheavy
But it sure didn't roll like she was noseheavy...and elevator was not in the least bit sensitive...very manageable
Any ideas?
Old Jan 29, 2008, 08:59 PM
hotrod builder
Joined Jun 2007
1,156 Posts
Herk1
Sorry I forgot about your question
I just wrapped the fan assembly with some 3 mm depron and tapered the front so it angles into the fan
You can see in the pic I sanded about a half inch or so from the back to fit into the grooves in the fuse
The hatch seemed to hold it tight enough but I used the supplied thin double sided tape also just in case
I did not regroove anything or did anything special
It would fit into the a-4 the exact same way
here is the pic again of the wrapped motor so you can see
Old Jan 29, 2008, 09:11 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Here's the video of my J-10, second flight,

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810292

Details on my setup are posted earlier in this thread, and here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809464

Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Jan 30, 2008, 12:52 AM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,197 Posts
Herb, Looks like she scoots pretty well. Only thing is looks like the cheater may be really limiting the performace of the plane.

Usmc, Most cannard Fighters that I have seen seem to fly with a slight nose high attitude. Especially at lower speeds. If they are bookin it they seem to flatten out. I noticed what you are talking about with the nose high and roll rate in the first videos of this model when it was announced. If you remember in the first videos one of the test planes violently rolled right then left just after takeoff.

Jason

P.S. I have a Typhoon from another manufacturer sitting in the closet I just got in. Will be able to comment more on the nose high in model form when I get it done. Its next in cue after I finish my GWS A-4.
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Last edited by FresnoJay; Jan 30, 2008 at 12:58 AM.