HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GWS CHEN, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:43 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2007
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rationalV
Which of the following statement is true?
1) GWS = "cheap"
2) GWS = "good value"

and the answer is number 2.

Why people are so sensitive with the word "CHEAP".
What is wrong with it?
I bought stuffs from wall mart, Target... all the time.

blueplane is offline Find More Posts by blueplane
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2008, 01:26 PM
East Hartford, CT
Joined Sep 2006
1,304 Posts
GWS is a great value and good quality at a great price, it is the reason they are my number one plane supplier. If you associate the word Cheap with bad quality then this is not GWS.
wedge98 is offline Find More Posts by wedge98
Old Jan 24, 2008, 01:41 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2007
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge98
GWS is a great value and good quality at a great price, it is the reason they are my number one plane supplier. If you associate the word Cheap with bad quality then this is not GWS.

...cheap price and great price are the same crap, people just
try to B******T around with different words. That's all

Old Jan 24, 2008, 01:48 PM
East Hartford, CT
Joined Sep 2006
1,304 Posts
I disagree.

Cheap price in my mind = lowest acceptable quality at very low prices.

great price = good quality at low prices

In other words cheap results in generally a sub-par quality product while great price is acceptable quality.

GWS has done an excellent job in my mind on the quality of their kits especially in 2007. The new warbirds have great amounts of detail and the EPO kits look awesome. When I think of Cheap I think of the China GWS knock-offs that are thrown together and tend to fly like junk. GWS does test flights on all o their planes before release, that is not something done by a company of cheap products.
wedge98 is offline Find More Posts by wedge98
Old Jan 24, 2008, 01:54 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2007
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge98
I disagree.

Cheap price in my mind = lowest acceptable quality at very low prices.

great price = good quality at low prices

In other words cheap results in generally a sub-par quality product while great price is acceptable quality.

GWS has done an excellent job in my mind on the quality of their kits especially in 2007. The new warbirds have great amounts of detail and the EPO kits look awesome. When I think of Cheap I think of the China GWS knock-offs that are thrown together and tend to fly like junk. GWS does test flights on all o their planes before release, that is not something done by a company of cheap products.

well, some say the glass of water is half empty,
others say the glass of water is half full...
the heck... half full or half empty
so the same crap of that quantity and quality of water to
me no matter who said what...

cheap price = great price

Peace out...
Old Jan 24, 2008, 06:37 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,924 Posts
[QUOTE=blueplane]
Quote:
Originally Posted by latinflyer
CHEN,
Where can I get one of the new generation motors to go fast??[/QUOTE]

go fast?
say 2000 watts, how about that?

Try www.lightflightrc.com
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Jan 24, 2008, 07:15 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
[QUOTE=chewytm]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueplane
The ARC-28-37-2 innrunner, shown on the LightFlight web site, is not suitable because it has a 3.2-mm output shaft and the GWS EDF-75 fan adapter fits on a 3-mm shaft. To accurately drill out the 3mm adapter to 3.2 mm will require the use of a lathe.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Jan 24, 2008, 08:12 PM
latinflyer
United States, CA, Milpitas
Joined Dec 2004
743 Posts
[QUOTE=kensp]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm
The ARC-28-37-2 innrunner, shown on the LightFlight web site, is not suitable because it has a 3.2-mm output shaft and the GWS EDF-75 fan adapter fits on a 3-mm shaft. To accurately drill out the 3mm adapter to 3.2 mm will require the use of a lathe.

Ken
I did by hand, slowly but sure and it works fine, no woble and it fits snug.
I won't say that you need any machining.
I have the 2.5 turn and it gives me 250W using a 2200MAH 25C TP.

Latinflyer.
latinflyer is offline Find More Posts by latinflyer
Old Jan 24, 2008, 08:16 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,351 Posts
Quote:
BTW, I am going to use an HXT 80A ESC instead of the EMAX 40A. There wasn't much leeway with the 40A as the wattmeter showed an amp draw of 39A+ at 12.3V. I think the 80A would be much safer.

chewy
Chewy, the EMAX40 is an excellent ESC and should be fine, 12.3v is not a sustained voltage, 11-11.3 is about the max you will get sustained from that amp draw, which means your actual amp draw will be 35 or so. With the ESC in the inlet duct no issue. I run 40A at 36A on 4 cells and no issue.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Jan 24, 2008, 08:31 PM
hotrod builder
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2007
1,154 Posts
Latinflyer
I have done the same thing with no ill effects....no need for a lathe at all
usmc_VTOL_mech is offline Find More Posts by usmc_VTOL_mech
Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:33 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,924 Posts
Thank, Extreme_rc. In that case, I will put the EMAX40 back in. I am using a separate 3A 5V bec to feed 2 Naro Pro, 3 Naro Std an 1 UH Metal geared servo. Hope 3A is enough. What do you think?

chewy
Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:34 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,924 Posts
Are you running the 70mm fan with the stock GWS new version motor at 4S? If so, how is it? If it's ok, then I will also run mine at 4S...

chewy
Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:57 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,010 Posts
Sorry for not answering the questions on my J-10 posed earlier

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=208

- I haven't checked here in a while (busy).

Re the various questions posed earlier, I am using a set of airpower micro-retracts. The kinda work, but one leg was not going up down smooth, an air cilinder exploded so had to be re-glued and the airtank has two leaks at 80 psi. Other than that they work fine . I am waiting for replacements.

All the surfaces and most of the fuse is covered in silkspan, applied with elmers white glue. Paints are tamiya water based acrylics.

I am using a WeMoTec MiniFan 480 because that's what I had. The Het fan might work too. The HW-609 uses a 36mm motor so that will make the J-10 heavy as a lead brick. The MF480 is good to 1000+ Watts. I think this plane is very light and should fly very well on 400+ Watts.

I managed to get the CG right (as per instructions) by moving the fan something like 2 inches back (see my pictures above). So I don't need any lead in the tail. My weight rtf is 47.5 oz. Power wot is around 850W but I plan to mostly just cruise around at 1/3-rd throttle.

I had to do major canopy work to get all my applieances to fit . I also spent some time programming the radio (Fut 9C s) and the canard mixing. I think the aileron and canard throws in the instructions look like way too much, at least for the first flight.

I might fly it this weekend.

Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:20 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,351 Posts
Quote:
Thank, Extreme_rc. In that case, I will put the EMAX40 back in. I am using a separate 3A 5V bec to feed 2 Naro Pro, 3 Naro Std an 1 UH Metal geared servo. Hope 3A is enough. What do you think?

chewy
Should be, you are only running 3 cells and its a switchmode BEC right? The one in the 40A esc is 3A/5V linear rated for 3 servos on 4 cells, 4 servos on 3 cells.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Jan 25, 2008, 01:04 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,924 Posts
Thanks, Extreme_RC. What do you think of the new stock motor on 4S with this 70mm fan? Do you think it will take it with the installed heat-sink?

chewy