HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GWS CHEN, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 08:56 PM
www.toddsmodels.com
North Bend, WA.
Joined Apr 2000
1,832 Posts
How come GWS is taking so long to ship J-10s to Horizon. They say early March when they get their planes....?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dID=GWSAE0030B
Todd Long is offline Find More Posts by Todd Long
Last edited by Todd Long; Jan 20, 2008 at 09:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2008, 01:34 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
I am not sure why?

But, I had shown GWS J-10 to our major distributors during early Oct. at Beijing Model show.

However, most of them want to wait to see....

Since RC business is very risky in this days. Too many junk products made RC market flood badly!

With GWS, you always get more better than your expection!

Not a biggest company, but GWS is worthy that your to pay for always!
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Jan 21, 2008, 03:59 AM
Uh Oh Jungo
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2003
772 Posts
Anyone started building? How's the space in the battery compartment? I'm thinking of 2 parallel 3S 2100 packs together.
ParkJeff is online now Find More Posts by ParkJeff
Old Jan 21, 2008, 06:49 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkJeff
Anyone started building? How's the space in the battery compartment? I'm thinking of 2 parallel 3S 2100 packs together.
A pair of Loong Max 2250 mAh 25 C batteries would fit with one mounted behind the other but I do not know yet if this would make the GWS J-10 nose heavy.

I have had my Kit since Friday but I am still studying the Manual carefully as there are significant differences from the usual GWS Warbird build. I want to fully understand the steps in the build before starting. I plan to start a building and a build thread tomorrow morning.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Jan 21, 2008, 07:01 AM
Uh Oh Jungo
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2003
772 Posts
Ken,

Thanks for your reply. Good point about parallel 2100 packs being maybe too heavy for the right CG. I know that deltas tend to be rather sensitive about that and a forward CG is almost as bad as a rearward one.

Looking forward to your build thread.

Jeff
ParkJeff is online now Find More Posts by ParkJeff
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:45 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,005 Posts
I am just about finished with the build. The problem I am having is with the ESC/motor. I am using a TowerPro 70A ESC with a 5V UBEC because of the ESC does not have any built-in BEC. The problem is this:

Using a servo tester to control the motor, the motor revs up and then stop. I have a Watt meter in line and the voltage does not drop below 12V for a 3S 2500mAH 25C lipo. Hmm. maybe the ESC will only run with 4S? Have to give that a try.

Just gave it a try with a 4S 2000mAh 20C lipo. The voltage dropped to 12V+ without even going above half throttle. This proves 2 things. The TowerPro 70A only works with 4S and above, and the 2000mAH pack that was used can't take the current.

I have a 3700mAH 4S 25C Polyquest pack. Maybe I will use that instead.

What do you think? Can I use a 40A ESC instead?

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:47 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,005 Posts
I have decided on the following config: Emax 40A ESC with BEC disabled, 5V UBEC, Zippy 3300mAH 20C 3S Lipo, if it fits. If not, the 3s2p 3400 (2x1700mAH HXT). If I find 3S to be not good enough, then I will switch to the TowerPro 70A ESC and Polyquest 3700mAH.

The nose gear servo is not working after a couple of turns! It's a UH metal gear servo. I do not want to cut the plane apart! I think I will get an electronic technician to solder the wires at the servo to exchange the servo. I can't see well enough to do such fine soldering. I have both long and short sightedness.

I like to use metalgear servos for nose/tail gears to handle the shock. This is the first time one of these servos died on me, after only testing with a servo test at that!

chewy
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:50 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,005 Posts
I only have the LG, linkages and the canopy to install. I am not going to fix the canopy permanently until I get a couple of pilots to install.

How about it, Mr. Lin. Could you please include the pilots in the future. Ought to be pretty cheap for you to manufacture in bulk, right?

chewy
Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:04 PM
Joined Jul 2006
15 Posts
Guys, I have a question I hope you can help me with.

I have never had a delta before, and I am curious about something. Can this plane operate with the ailerons doing ONLY aileron duty, and the canards doing the elevator job? In the manual they have a mixer and a Y-harness so that the ailerons can do elevator duty as well.....is this a MUST?....if so why? will the canards not provide enough lift?

Thanks for any responses..
Josiah is offline Find More Posts by Josiah
Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:53 PM
Dam Dutch Fokker.
USA, UT, Farmington
Joined Jul 2003
311 Posts
Chewy , you might have to program the ESC with your transmitter, for your high and low throttle firist.
THREEWING is offline Find More Posts by THREEWING
Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:55 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,553 Posts
It's more likely that the canards have too much authority than not enough.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Jan 21, 2008, 01:33 PM
latinflyer
United States, CA, Milpitas
Joined Dec 2004
747 Posts
Hello group,
I have finished and maiden mine yesterday.
1- Total of 2.5 hours for the build.
2- 2 hours for painting.
3- Bad maiden, crash three time trying to figure out how to operate and take full control of canards.

Conclusions:
When trying to maiden this airplanes setup delta first and locate the canards on the rudder. Setup reflex like delta wings on this aircraft to provide lift otherwise the floor will meet your airplane. Gradually start using the cards by moving the rudder on correct direction up/down is left/right. Then mix rudder with elevator and leave on a switch to use or disable as you get us too.
It great to see it flying and expectators like more than other airplanes in the air. Landing easy and soft, slow down to a crow and touch dow. High alpha manuvers and hight alpha when landing to avoid draging the tail. I will provide pictures later..

Latinflyer.
latinflyer is offline Find More Posts by latinflyer
Last edited by latinflyer; Jan 21, 2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 01:51 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkJeff
The fuse is big, but space is quite a bit tight in the front. I had to carve out the canopy floor to make everything, incl the 6s pack, fit. The canard servo is kind of in the way too.

I used elevon mixing (ch 1 and ch2) on my Futaba 9C, and added the canards (ch 6) to the elevator channel using a programmable mix. I have twice as much throw on the 'elevator' as I have on the 'aileron'. The canard motion is just a few mm up and down, elevons are plenty for takeoff and landing.

I think problem arise when you use the recommended mixer in line with the elevons, then it's impossible to program less 'aileron' throw than 'elevator' throw on the elevons. That's when the canard come in handy, to help lift the nose a bit more. Othewise you end up with crazy aileron response.

Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Last edited by Herb; Jan 22, 2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 03:17 PM
Dam Dutch Fokker.
USA, UT, Farmington
Joined Jul 2003
311 Posts
Herb, would you like to sell the GWS 75mm fan and motor if you are not using them? What retracts are those?
THREEWING is offline Find More Posts by THREEWING
Last edited by THREEWING; Jan 21, 2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 05:27 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
Herb are those the new mirco spring air retracts?

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay