HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2007, 12:27 AM
where are our jetpacks!
Ballarat
Joined Sep 2005
244 Posts
Discussion
CORONA RP4S1 synthesized receiver - This realy sucks

This realy sucks. I just got my CORONA RP4S1 synthesized receiver? on the 36mhz band. the hype says they can tune to any frq in that band. Not true.

reading the users guide the firest step says

"1.Turn the transmitter power on ,adjust the mode to
PPM and make sure the transmitting frequency be in
the frequency list"

frequency list! what frequency list. there is not a frequency list in the box, not one on the website and google can't find one.
I tested a few xtals. so far one 1 in 3 channels have worked

36.010 - no go!
36.530 - work well
36.570 - No go.

I would like to have all my receivers on the same frq with out changing xtails
but my other receivers are on 36.010. Now the untrue clame that it can tune to xtails in the 36 frq range will see me change xtalis every time I want to fly "that plane"

What a crock! bad CORONA!

To read what happend when I receiver my replacement receiver read this post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=7#post9135400
lenniegordo is offline Find More Posts by lenniegordo
Last edited by lenniegordo; Feb 12, 2008 at 04:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2007, 02:08 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2006
338 Posts
i have one of these receivers and it works fine on 36.190, i didnt even get a users guide with mine???
legine is offline Find More Posts by legine
Old Dec 22, 2007, 08:35 PM
Joined Dec 2007
30 Posts
hey ,lenniegordo,I have a RP4S1 in 36mhz ,it works really perfect on the 36 band say from 36.010 to 36.590 ,well I think we can suggest Corona put the fre list in the box .Maybe you got a faulty one ,Merry Xmas .
Freeky is offline Find More Posts by Freeky
Old Dec 23, 2007, 03:16 AM
LAN
Sweden, Östergötland, Valdemarsvik
Joined Oct 2003
457 Posts
Some users have also reported that these receivers do not center correctly, there is up to 4.5% deviation of the zero position on the servo outputs after stick movements...
LAN is offline Find More Posts by LAN
Old Dec 23, 2007, 12:20 PM
AMA # L576
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Sep 2006
2,227 Posts
I just received one yesterday from United Hobbies. It won't lock on to any frequency I try. It didn't come with any instructions in the box, so I looked them up on Corona's website.
So what I did:

Turned on my TX tuned to the channel I want to use.
Plugged the battery into the BESC and watched for the led to blink twice.
Pressed the button for 2 seconds, then pressed it a second time.
The led blinks rapidly for about 5 seconds, then nothing, no blinking, no leds lit and no response to control inputs.

I tried with my MPX Evo 7 with synthesized frequency module, and with my Hitec Prism 7x with spectra module.

Do these things not work with transmitters capable of changing the channel on them?
vhoward1122 is offline Find More Posts by vhoward1122
Old Dec 23, 2007, 12:37 PM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,499 Posts
Mine worked rightaway with my MPX Evo 9 synth on 35.060 Mhz...
Would like to read some flight reports before trying it in my Surprise 7....
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Dec 23, 2007, 12:45 PM
AMA # L576
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Sep 2006
2,227 Posts
I have tried several times as I read somewhere that sometimes these don't lock on the first time. Still no go. I got a defective one. Will be sending it back for replacement.
vhoward1122 is offline Find More Posts by vhoward1122
Old Dec 24, 2007, 03:43 AM
where are our jetpacks!
Ballarat
Joined Sep 2005
244 Posts
corona got in touch with me and told me to send it back... but have not said that it should be able to tune to 36.010
lenniegordo is offline Find More Posts by lenniegordo
Old Dec 26, 2007, 05:05 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
Some of the early release batch had issues locking on, they flash quickly for a while then shut off or just keep flashing. Have not noticed that in the new batches yet, but I check all Rx's now and bind them to my Tx before sending them out.

Synth Tx's are not a problem, but ones with frequency modules plugged into the back of them are. Something about the DSP not being compatible, noone seems to be able to give a definitive answer.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Dec 26, 2007, 06:53 PM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC
Synth Tx's are not a problem, but ones with frequency modules plugged into the back of them are. Something about the DSP not being compatible, noone seems to be able to give a definitive answer.
To the best of my knowledge there are only two synth transmitter setups that cause problems with these receivers.

The first is the Hitec Spectrum module -- but only when used in a Futaba transmitter. This combination causes the transmitter to send out a modulation pattern that confuses all DSP-based receivers, although regular PPM/FM receivers handle it just fine. This is a widely known phenomenon.

The second is one of the hi-end Futaba synth transmitters (can't remember which one) which has a similar problem with a slightly non-standard modulation pattern in FM/PPM mode.

A Hitec transmitter with the spectrum synth module and a Futaba 9C with the Futaba synth module should work just fine. We have both at our field and have had no problems with any receivers DSP and/or synthesized.
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Old Dec 27, 2007, 01:17 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
Well the JR 9X and X3810 do not work with any of the Corona DSP rx's so far. Both are module Tx's with 36mhz modules in them.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Dec 27, 2007, 02:40 AM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC
Well the JR 9X and X3810 do not work with any of the Corona DSP rx's so far. Both are module Tx's with 36mhz modules in them.
That's odd... There are two JR 9X II transmitters with synthesizer in our club and they're both Corona D8 receivers (LightflightRC actually) -- with no problems at all. That's a total of about a dozen receivers.

This is on 72MHz though.
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Old Dec 28, 2007, 12:44 AM
GorillaGlue, Tape...I'm good
SillyCornValley, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2007
216 Posts
I got it to lock once...

I just got 2 CORONA RP4S1 synthesized receiver yesterday. I tried following the instruction on their web site, but couldn't seem to get it to work.

It did get a lock once, though. Here is what I did: after power-up, you see 2 flashes. Then I held down the button through the process without letting go. During that time, I see 2 more flashes followed by the rapid flashes. Then the ECS began the usual beep routine.

However, the rapid flashing kept on flashing away, non stop. Also, when moving the servoes, the movement was very jittery(unacceptable). The motor seemed less affected by the jittery response, though.

I turned off the power and powered back on and the setting held. Then I tried to sync again, but this time I couldn't get a lock. I tried both of them...no luck.

An interesting thing I noticed: after the 2 flashes and you hold the button for 2sec. , if you don't press again soon after, then the servo would crank all the way and hit the stop (if there is one) and jitters until you either power off or press the button again for 2sec.

My frequency is 72.810. My tx is an el cheapo Dynam (don't laugh, it works ).
I_Gotts_Ta_Fly is online now Find More Posts by I_Gotts_Ta_Fly
Old Dec 28, 2007, 04:31 AM
China
Joined Dec 2007
10 Posts
There's another Thread in RC Groups with Vido instruction to let us know how to lock the RP4S1 , it's really work .
Extrahobby is offline Find More Posts by Extrahobby
Old Dec 28, 2007, 04:38 PM
GorillaGlue, Tape...I'm good
SillyCornValley, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2007
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extrahobby
There's another Thread in RC Groups with Vido instruction to let us know how to lock the RP4S1 , it's really work .
I did some search, but couldn't find it. Do you have the link? If not do you recall the thread title or the topic?
I_Gotts_Ta_Fly is online now Find More Posts by I_Gotts_Ta_Fly