HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2010, 06:55 AM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
How fast was it on the stock muffler? 90?
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:38 AM
United States, CA, Dublin
Joined Sep 2008
1,010 Posts
It was pretty quick. I didn't clock it with a radar, but looked to be 85-90 in level passes. This was with the baffle removed and 11x7 prop. That had given significant improvement over stock stock
Mtn_Commando is offline Find More Posts by Mtn_Commando
Old Oct 22, 2010, 05:34 PM
Why kamikaze pilot wear helmet
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Jul 2010
1,098 Posts
From my reading on another sites, you need to use eather a .60 jet or a .91 2 stroke to get you around 120-130ish

If you go with a .91 you need to reinforce the motor/fire wall, some have ripped out with larger motors. You can use a .91 move the battery behind the servos, and will only require little added weight to the rear.

Your goal seems to be a 11X8 or 11X10 at as many rpm as you can 14k is good.
mikes68charger is offline Find More Posts by mikes68charger
Old Oct 23, 2010, 09:22 PM
Joined Sep 2008
1,010 Posts
Sadly, the Sundowner is no more. The good news is that it was 110% dumb thumbs

Here's the recap. I added 6oz of castor to a gallon of Cool Power 15%. The engine ran much cooler after this. At the field, I tached the engine at a max of 15,450 rpm. So that was a total increase of a hair shy of 3,500 rpm over stock. I richened the needle one-quarter turn above peak and took off. As predicted, engine unloaded after a couple of minutes and became too lean. So I brought it down, richened it another quarter turn, and took off.

In the air, she was loud, and faaaast! Kept me on my toes of the entire flight, I'd only be able to catch my breath if I throttled back or during the landing. First two flight resulted in dead sticks because I flew too long (stock setup was good for 11 minutes with at least an extra minute and a half of reserve). With this, I was emptying the tank on 8 minutes and change. I also added spoilerons, and these did help slow down the landings some. But boy was she quick, I'd run out of field and have to turn around and go the other way in mere seconds.

On the last flight, I was running some low passes with knife edges. The extra speed had made all the surfaces much more responsive. Previously I needed full rudder (what tiny little rudder this plane has) to knife edge. Now, a little over half throw was enough. On top of that, I had dialed in 15% more ailerons, and she was snap rolling like a power drill. On the final pass, I swooped into a shallow dive at WOT, trying to get a low pass at max airspeed. It must have been 100-110mph easy. At the end of the pass, I did a series of full aileron snap rolls. In the second or so it took to do that, the plane was already at the far edge of the field and was gonna go out of sight. I lost orientation and panicked, pulled the stick and she was upside down, smacked her right into the dirt from 40 feet up.

The result? Utter destruction! The cowl resembles an exploded paper bag. The fuel tank looks like someone smashed it with a jackhammer. The 3mm thich metal spinner backplate turned into a pretzel. The brand new tuned pipe ruptured into four pieces. The front of the fuse just plain disappeared. Even the receiver's cover ripped right off. The engine, remarkably, appears to be mostly OK, albeit full of dirt. I took some pictures for your viewing pleasure .
Old Oct 23, 2010, 09:33 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
Damn.
Your most exciting day of flying, with a sad ending. One hell of a crash!
Still cannot believe an exhaust can add that much power. Maybe one day I'll get a 2-stroke.

Do you still have your VQ P-40?
Old Oct 24, 2010, 01:17 PM
Joined Sep 2008
1,010 Posts
Yes, the old faithful VQ P-40 has been waiting for her turn. I hope I can get her repaired before it gets too cold.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 01:04 AM
Airplane Gearhead
Central N.Y.
Joined Jan 2005
1,144 Posts
Oh
Been a while since I've checked this thread...
Sorry to see that

Yeah...that Jett pipe really does (did) work, aye!?
proptop is offline Find More Posts by proptop
Old Oct 25, 2010, 07:51 PM
Joined Sep 2008
1,010 Posts
Oh yeah, that muffler was verrry high performance. The pilot, not so much
Old Oct 25, 2010, 08:38 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
The pilot gets better, the muffler does not.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 09:49 PM
Middle River, MD
Joined Jun 2008
12 Posts
Was that a dx7 ? Thought they had automatic orientation ???
J/K Sorry for your loss
tooler is offline Find More Posts by tooler
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:42 PM
Joined Sep 2008
1,010 Posts
I really would have bought another one of these. Real pretty looking airplane, and flies straight like an arrow. But I flew the crap out of this one. Probably 50 flights or so. I think I had my fill.

Or maybe, I might just get the 90 size Sundowner. That'll have to wait till next year. One thing for sure if I get it though, it's getting a 2-stroke with a tuned pipe. Man, I still can't get that sweet 15k rpm sound out of my head
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:48 AM
Airplane Gearhead
Central N.Y.
Joined Jan 2005
1,144 Posts
I have the 80" Sundowner...got a Moki 2.10 in it...16x14 APC prop...

It goes purty good but could be faster...

I'm looking at the new 36 size version...maybe with a Webra .50 in it?
proptop is offline Find More Posts by proptop
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:59 AM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
I think I will get one of the 36 versions eventually. I love small planes.