143 Posts
Glad to hear it went well!!!
JTtheBowler is offline Find More Posts by JTtheBowler
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2010, 06:59 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2008
999 Posts
Swapped out the stock Evo 12x6 for an Evo 11x7, removed the muffler baffle, and went with Cool Power 15%. The speed increase is noticeable! Yes, it's louder, but I like it that way. You can hear and feel the power.

On the cowl, I closed the port side inlet and the bottom scoop. The only airflow entry is the starboard size cowl inlet (in front of the engine head), and the exit hole at the bottom is a little more than three times the inlet. Engine ran cool as a cucumber with the cowl back on.
Mtn_Commando is offline Find More Posts by Mtn_Commando
Old Oct 02, 2010, 10:19 PM
Joined Sep 2008
999 Posts
Is anyone still flying their Sundownwer? I'm having a blast with this plane. Thinking about swapping out the Evo engine for a Magnum 60. This plane really deserves to go faster. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Here are some pics:
Old Oct 05, 2010, 03:10 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
Saw one at my club go off the end of the runway a few weeks ago. Super fast but the pilot couldn't ever get it slowed down. I don't know him so don't know if it was the pilot or the plane... or both. Watching the landings was always the most exciting part.

There was one on youtube with an OS90AX. Sorry I don't have the link.
DreamArcher is offline Find More Posts by DreamArcher
Old Oct 05, 2010, 05:42 PM
Joined Sep 2008
999 Posts
Yes, it usually takes me the entire length of our 150 foot runway to land her, even when I aim to touch her down right at the beginning. Landings are faaaaast and real exciting.

I saw the youtube video with the OS95. The engine ripped off the firewall in midflight. Another guy has an OS120 in it
Old Oct 10, 2010, 02:41 PM
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn_Commando View Post
Has anyone flown the sundowner with flaperons? I dialed them in @ 75%.
i fly mine with spoilerons(they go up) and act like mini speed brakes. Slows down nicely and I mix in some up elevator. Brings mine in slightly above walking speed. Guys at the field are shocked that I can bring it in slower than their trainers.
brati4 is online now Find More Posts by brati4
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:33 PM
Joined Sep 2008
999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brati4 View Post
i fly mine with spoilerons(they go up) and act like mini speed brakes. Slows down nicely and I mix in some up elevator. Brings mine in slightly above walking speed. Guys at the field are shocked that I can bring it in slower than their trainers.
That's very interesting. How does the aircraft react when you turn on the spoilerons in mid-flight? And how is the roll authority?
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:55 PM
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn_Commando View Post
That's very interesting. How does the aircraft react when you turn on the spoilerons in mid-flight? And how is the roll authority?
Slows the plane down, puts it in a 3 point attitude. No problem with lateral control, but its not like I'm gonna roll inverted when coming into land.
brati4 is online now Find More Posts by brati4
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:56 AM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
This is a good looking plane. How much does it weigh?
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
Old Oct 11, 2010, 07:59 PM
Joined Sep 2008
999 Posts
AUW with the Evo 52 is a little under 7 lbs.

I enjoy the lightning fast landings, but I think I might try out the spoilerons.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 07:01 PM
Joined Sep 2008
999 Posts
I tached my current setup:
> Stock Muffler without baffle
> Evo 11x7 prop
> OS#8 plug
> Cool Power 15% fuel
= 11,970 RPM (PEAK @ WOT)
I was expecting it to be a little higher. But this plane is pretty fast even with this.

The Evo/Jett tuned muffler has been mounted. The Sundowner already has two sections/panels carved into the bulkhead below the engine box, which can be removed to allow for airflow for electric setups. I just had to remove the starboard section, and then trim out the engine box and fuse a just a little bit to make the muffler fit. I also enlarged the cowl airflow inlet a little to allow for better cooling.

I'm still undecided on what fuel I should get, I'd like to go up as high as I can on the nitro. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 20, 2010, 07:36 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
looking good! try to keep the fuel out of the radio compartment. maybe you can seal around the muffler with aluminum foil or something.

Hurry and tell us your new tach readings!
Old Oct 21, 2010, 05:42 PM
Joined Sep 2008
999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike early View Post
looking good! try to keep the fuel out of the radio compartment. maybe you can seal around the muffler with aluminum foil or something.

Hurry and tell us your new tach readings!
Thanks. Actually you can't tell from the pics, but I have tape CA'd all around the silicon exhaust's exit hole. And on the inside, the header is crimped very tight to the muffler with nylon wrap ties, no chance of it coming off or leaking.

So I just tached the new setup:
- APC 10x7 prop
- HAN3011 four stroke plug
- Cool Power 15%
= 15,000 RPM flat

Jesus Christ on a moped! This thing screeeeams! The engine sputtered and died before I could fine tune the engine, or take a proof pic (I discovered this was due to a rupture in the fuel line). So hopefully I might be able to get some more rpm out of it. That is, if I can summon up the balls to adjust that needle...it scared the crap out of me. Man, that was LOUD, my ears are still ringing.

The engine is running way hotter, so I'm going to supplement it with some castor oil, and get an official reading tomorrow.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 06:22 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
3000RPM with just a new exhaust? Fantastic. Unreal!

The fuel I was referring to is out of the carb, or oil out of the front bearing. My engine bays are usually pretty wet after a flight.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:02 PM
Joined Sep 2008
999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike early View Post
3000RPM with just a new exhaust? Fantastic. Unreal!

The fuel I was referring to is out of the carb, or oil out of the front bearing. My engine bays are usually pretty wet after a flight.
$60 for this muffler! I thought it was way overpriced (well, still think it is) for a hollow metal tube. And I never really believed the science behind tuned pipes. But boy am I a believer now! I'm hoping to eke out a couple hundred more RPM by tuning it right.

I was all ready to shell out a couple hundred for a new engine. I'm glad I took the cheaper and easier way out with this muffler (thanks to proptop). Can't wait to see what this does to the airspeed