SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2008, 07:18 PM
Big P
Arizona
Joined Jan 2006
135 Posts
planefixer you can alway move to AZ where the weather is nice and we fly year round
patzane is offline Find More Posts by patzane
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2008, 07:53 PM
GO COLTS!!!!!
Lafayette, IN
Joined Jun 2007
355 Posts
That would be nice. It was -6 F this morning when I left for work. Still have not flown this month. Looks like this will be the first month since I started flying that I have not gotten to go. Our flying field was under 10 feet of water two weeks ago from tremendous rainfall. The river has gone down, but the field is lower than the river, so now I am sure that there is an ice rink there. Think summer!
planefixer is offline Find More Posts by planefixer
Old Jan 27, 2008, 08:36 PM
I meant for it to do that
Vegas Baby
Joined May 2007
80 Posts
I maidened nine yesterday. I'm running it with the Power 46 brushless, a CC 80 amp ESC, Impulse 5s 3200 mAh 20c, and an 11X10 prop. It flies great!!! Very stable tracking, and quite quick, although I'm going to try diff prop/motor combos and see if I can make it ballistic. Medusa power analyzer says 920watts at 59 amps, so the power is there, although a little much for the E-Flite motor. This plane is AWESOME and very simple to build!!
RB51 fan is offline Find More Posts by RB51 fan
Old Feb 15, 2008, 06:49 PM
Cincinnati Cin N.Knty, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
1,037 Posts
Anyone flew this plane yet with a glow engine? Wondering what engine fits this plane the best.
chris8105 is offline Find More Posts by chris8105
Old Aug 20, 2008, 07:19 PM
Joined Aug 2008
6 Posts
went with manual - recommed setup

Got my SD 50 awhile back...about 3 weeks..haven't flown it yet..I went with the manual EV .52NX with EV 11x6 prop....did a bit of mods to the cowl for better cooling....btw anybody try it flaperons or spoilerons to slow the land? ..
djsallen is offline Find More Posts by djsallen
Old Sep 13, 2008, 02:56 PM
EZR
Joined Sep 2008
1 Posts
prop

Usin 0s 55 we have great fun with our sundowner but we still did not find the best prop 10*7 is fine 10*8 as well we even test 9*10 what is the best from your experiance
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOZZ
Just picked up mine at the LHS. Going to put a OS 55 on it.
EZR is offline Find More Posts by EZR
Old Sep 17, 2008, 12:29 PM
Joined Jun 2007
25 Posts
I put an OS 75 AX in mine. The head fit inside the cowl. I used a slimline pitts muffler and have only the stcks sticking out the bottom! I did put a hole in the cowl for the glow driver and high needle. I with I had put a remote glow extention on it though.
Sevans16 is offline Find More Posts by Sevans16
Old Oct 10, 2008, 09:13 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,464 Posts
Any more updates to share on the Sundowner?

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:03 PM
Sippin' on Kool Aid
Long Island NY, USA
Joined Dec 2005
2,824 Posts
Buddy of mine just finished his up. Originally he had an evolution 61 on the nose and it ripped pretty damn hard.

this past week he threw an Os 91 2 stroke on it. maidened it today, and damn does she move!! rips right on by and has an awesome sound with a pits muffler. my only gripe is that you gotta land her a little hot or she'll just fall right out of the sky
heligrom is online now Find More Posts by heligrom
Old Oct 11, 2008, 07:22 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heligrom
my only gripe is that you gotta land her a little hot or she'll just fall right out of the sky

Thanks for the update Heligrom. That last statement concerns me a tad. I wonder why that is?

The Sundowner sure is a good looking plane though.

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Sep 09, 2010, 09:00 PM
United States, CA, Dublin
Joined Sep 2008
1,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heligrom View Post
Buddy of mine just finished his up. Originally he had an evolution 61 on the nose and it ripped pretty damn hard.

this past week he threw an Os 91 2 stroke on it. maidened it today, and damn does she move!! rips right on by and has an awesome sound with a pits muffler. my only gripe is that you gotta land her a little hot or she'll just fall right out of the sky
Hi helogrom,

I'm in LI too. Where do you fly? I fly at Cedar Creek.

I just got the Sundowner. I was told exactly what you said about landing hot by another flier. Any idea if flaperons will help? The only thing that I don't like about that is reduced aileron authority.

Meanwhile, I'm setting it up. Fuel proofed the firewall and engine block. Put a 6v 2100mah Low Self Discharge Nimh rx pack in there. Added the voltwatch to the cockpit as 'instrumentation'
Mtn_Commando is online now Find More Posts by Mtn_Commando
Last edited by Mtn_Commando; Sep 09, 2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2010, 10:07 PM
The 18 year old addict!
Georgia
Joined Sep 2008
143 Posts
Glad to see the plane in good hands, Shar.
JTtheBowler is offline Find More Posts by JTtheBowler
Old Sep 09, 2010, 11:25 PM
Joined Sep 2008
1,010 Posts
Thanks bro. I hope the hands remain good when she flies for the first time
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:19 PM
Joined Sep 2008
1,010 Posts
Has anyone flown the sundowner with flaperons? I dialed them in @ 75%.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:52 PM
Joined Sep 2008
1,010 Posts
This bird has flown. I had to close the low speed needle on the Evo 52 around three-quarters of a turn to get reliable transitions, and now I have a super low putt-putt idle. On the maiden, the cg was perfect. Took just a few clicks of trimming. Manual prescribed rates were quite touchy, I had to dial them down quite a bit.

After around 4 minutes into the maiden, the engine started overheating and losing power, so I brought it down quickly. The airflow exit hole on the cowl is not nearly of sufficient size. So I cut it out to make it much larger, and blocked the front left intake and the bottom scoop.

Flew three more flights with the cowl off, no overheating problems anymore. Wow, this bird tracks like an arrow! What a fun airplane to fly. And yes, she DOES like to come in hot...otherwise she'll just sink on final. Btw, the flaperons don't help...at all. In fact, they cause they nose to pitch DOWN sharply. So I'm just going to remove them.