HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2008, 07:01 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by year1camaro
yaya, LOL or maybe some nice strolls through the woods? LOL I don't think he's RPVin, I think he just lookin for some first person video footage. Ya I don't know how much these electronics can take but I have to admit with the camera in the right position takin some nasty jumps might be pretty cool.
Whether he's FPV'ing or not doesn't matter. Either way, the camera/video gear is on the car. BTW, the cased KX131 is REALLY tough. Mine has been through several hard crashes without any problems (except a small scratch on the lens). I wouldn't be worried about that. I would be concerned with the video transmitter though.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2008, 10:09 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2007
1,207 Posts
We've got some new video transmitters coming, i'm hoping i wont have to use a cased lawmate as that may be difficult.

I plan to drive it normally for about 20 seconds to see what the video is like, then go driving FPV hehe.

Crash, nice little buggy you got there! Actually you can get fully enclosed roll cages but they make working on the truck really hard - so the New Era roll bar works perfect, protection and ease of maintenance
Mark Harris is offline Find More Posts by Mark Harris
Old Jan 08, 2008, 06:14 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2007
1,207 Posts
Ok so camera mounted, and some static tests without a spectrum radio on show a bit of interference from the revving, but not too bad. I tried testing it out the front, but i had the receiver and laptop in the garage so the video was nigh on unusable. I'll have to try in the open. The spectrum works to about 25m with a 9cm rx antenna on the car, 10mw transmitter. Pretty useless, it also creates a white/black band on the video when it's on and within 5m of the receiver (receiver with saw filter, which most dont have).

I think without two cars, house walls, a garden and a spectrum transmitter between the car and the receiver it should be quite good! When the car drove past the 1m clear line of sight it area it was clear crisp video.

The camera is mounted on it's bracket (everything threadlocked), it's closed in two layers of heatshrink, one from either direction, the tx and camera supply are enclosed in their own heatshrink.The 3A power supply is temporary, i actually had a 1A one which was all closed up but i grabbed one which needed fixing my mistake. The camera is held down by 3 velcro ties, i'm hoping all this will help with vibrations and it does seem to. The block of wood has 3 bolts holding it to the radio box cover - the cover can move quite a bit if it needs to when a lot of G's are provided by crashes.
Old Jan 08, 2008, 10:55 AM
Ridgeway, Co.
Joined Dec 2007
132 Posts
Looks like it's going to be a lot of fun Mark . Will you be testing at the local BMX track?
I've come to the conclusion that it's much easier to drive RC in FPV. This came to my attention when I was building a track and took my truck on it for a test in 3rd person view and I could hardly keep it on course where as in FPV it's aim and hit the gas .

snif,snif, I smell a video coming
FPVpilot is offline Find More Posts by FPVpilot
Old Jan 08, 2008, 12:48 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2007
1,207 Posts
hehe, i have video already, but because of the cars and garden its crap.

I'm actually very used to driving 3rd person after 3-4 years of it.

Yes, BMX track, they've just redone the jumps there for the new season - steeper ramps = tripple backflip? Will we make the double forward flip this time - last time it was about 40degrees of and NOT a pretty landing.
Old Jan 08, 2008, 05:20 PM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Harris
Will we make the double forward flip this time - last time it was about 40degrees of and NOT a pretty landing.
No not a pretty landing but would make an AWESOME first person view video
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Jan 08, 2008, 07:29 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, MT, Missoula
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbostang
Looks cool, and I may try that. My only concern though, is that the weight is not centered on the servos output shaft, due to the camera being stuck to the side. So this means the servo is constantly loaded. I don't know if this is a problem or not. The HS65 appears to have plenty of torque (25 oz/in). But how does that affect the current draw to the servo?
I did a little test and no noticable power draw with or without camera on it and noticed I can't even move the HS-65 by hand when it's powered Very strong for what we do with it .
Crash9 is offline Find More Posts by Crash9
Old Jan 08, 2008, 07:35 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, MT, Missoula
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Dude a video like that would make a you RockStar . Flip The Truck (just don't break it unless you have the tape running .
Crash9 is offline Find More Posts by Crash9
Old Jan 08, 2008, 09:25 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,137 Posts
Not as exciting as the RC Car.. But it's a video I did back in 2004. This was done using one of those 1.2ghz camera off Ebay. I sat on shore in my Jeep Wrangler with the top down and watched from the back seat..

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...42213687&hl=en
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Jan 08, 2008, 10:47 PM
Warrenton, VA
Joined Dec 2002
374 Posts
[QUOTE=typicalaimster] I sat on shore in my Jeep Wrangler with the top down and watched from the back seat..

QUOTE]

Sweet, typicalaimster!
I had a dream the other night of doing fpv with a submarine. No, I don't have the equipment, but I bet somebody does it someday. Wow.
Va-PFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Va-PFlyer
Old Jan 08, 2008, 11:02 PM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster
Not as exciting as the RC Car.. But it's a video I did back in 2004. This was done using one of those 1.2ghz camera off Ebay. I sat on shore in my Jeep Wrangler with the top down and watched from the back seat..

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...42213687&hl=en
I thought that was a GREAT VIDEO!!! Now imagine sailing by video goggles! You would have to tilt the camera up every so often to check the wind indicator or tell tales! Better yet sail in windy condition and watch her tilt as you trim the sails and carve the waters!!! Hey you might start something cool here!!!!
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Jan 09, 2008, 12:01 AM
Ridgeway, Co.
Joined Dec 2007
132 Posts
Yeah I thought it was cool also. Nice relaxing day on the lake.
FPVpilot is offline Find More Posts by FPVpilot
Old Jan 09, 2008, 12:36 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,137 Posts
Keep in mind this was the days before the head tracking. Another interesting fact for Va-PFlyer, this was taken on Lake Brittle right out side of Warrenton.

If I decided to do another sailboat.. I'd probably go with something bigger than what i was running back in 2003. There is very little room in the sail boat I was using. I'd probably mount my video TX high up on my mast and run the cables back down. The sail boats I was using didn't have a very good water proof box. Placing controlling devices in a waterproof box would be a must. Not to mention I'd probably 'dip' my servos, adding water resistance to a light degree.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Jan 09, 2008, 01:44 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2007
1,207 Posts
Very cool boat! i like it!
Old Jan 09, 2008, 02:29 PM
UNREGISTERED USER :)
New York
Joined Apr 2007
773 Posts
thats a cool thing and it happens so that i have a preetey big sail boat.. lol just a thought... I will post pics of it in few mins.

damian
damian123 is offline Find More Posts by damian123