SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 06, 2008, 12:00 AM
FPV Pilot
United States, MT, Missoula
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Now that was cool Stang , and that old car can move. Vibrations not to bad and diffently drivable as you showed . Couldn't stop laughing when you tag the boy and I see the kids got the right idea jumping up on the wall to get away from the mad buggy . Kids seem to really enjoy interacting with these things. I noticed there's no car sound (hehe), $3.79 at radio shack .
Crash9 is offline Find More Posts by Crash9
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2008, 12:09 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Hehe, yeah they got smart quick. Couldn't get them up on the wall. They had a lot of fun. My Son needs some more driving practice though.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Jan 06, 2008, 02:01 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Crash, I'm really starting to like that tilt mount. I was thinking of doing something sort of like that except with a vertical piece of metal sandwiched between the servo and camera. But why do that, when I can just mount the camera directly to the servo?! I really need to redo the camera mount I'm using, which is an old clunky design.

On the side opposite of the servo horn (bottom of the servo), how did you do that pivot?
Old Jan 06, 2008, 05:46 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2007
1,207 Posts
Ok well my truck is all going, oneway bearing still slips when cold but oh well

So now the biggest question is, where do i put the camera.. i have a severely limited area to put it where i can get a good view and still be protected. I'm thinking of making a mount that bolts to the top of the radio box (the white box in front of the reciever).
Mark Harris is offline Find More Posts by Mark Harris
Old Jan 06, 2008, 06:18 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,620 Posts
Now That's A Truck Mate!!!
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Jan 06, 2008, 01:04 PM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Harris

So now the biggest question is, where do i put the camera.. i have a severely limited area to put it where i can get a good view and still be protected. I'm thinking of making a mount that bolts to the top of the radio box (the white box in front of the reciever).
No, that don't look like fun finding a spot. I don't see the receiver, isn't it in the white box? I was thinking about putting a cam in my LST2 but decided against it due to the vibration and radio frequency nitro motors put out,,, you may want to consider this in your build. Good Luck thou!! I hope it works good. It would be fun to drive 200-450MPH from the cockpit, your gonna need a wide open space!!! I have problems with mine at around 150MPH !! I need to mix my steering servo with the pan servo to make it much easier.
year1camaro is offline Find More Posts by year1camaro
Old Jan 06, 2008, 01:31 PM
Ridgeway, Co.
Joined Dec 2007
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbostang

On the side opposite of the servo horn (bottom of the servo), how did you do that pivot?
I did the same Pan & Tilt as Crash from info on his site . He just removed the bottom and put a bolt through it. I did a few mounts but this is the one I liked the most and no linkage needed so there's less slop . FPVPan&Tilt
FPVpilot is offline Find More Posts by FPVpilot
Old Jan 06, 2008, 01:41 PM
Ridgeway, Co.
Joined Dec 2007
132 Posts
Quote:

Now that thing is going to be Hell on Wheels . What about putting your camera under the rear wing on the driverside so you can see the action of the truck . Not sure if it would work from looking at the pics' but on my little car I wish I could see some of the front suspension .
FPVpilot is offline Find More Posts by FPVpilot
Old Jan 06, 2008, 02:03 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2007
1,207 Posts
Hmm, under the rear wing i think is just asking to get your camera destroyed. The car hits jumps at 90km/h or faster and the landings are not always on it's wheels.. the wing takes a hell of a lot of abuse. You also get a massive amount of dust, dirt and debris up there not to mention fuel getting sprayed out if you roll really fast.

year1camaro, Car only goes 125km/hr or so over grass. I pretty much only run the truck at BMX tracks. I go to some parks which are 300m across when running in or tuning it up, but thats about it. The reciever is in the white box, there is a spectrum pro in there but i have a stock radio (27mhz) at a friends place which we are going to put in there so it can get some range.

I think vibration will be a pretty big issue just from the motor idling, i'm hoping it wont be overly noticable. Driving around i dont think you'll notice most of the bumps because of the huge shocks, and the dual rate springs.

Anyways, hopefully will get it out there next weekend, my friends and i are all heading out with the LST's.
Mark Harris is offline Find More Posts by Mark Harris
Old Jan 06, 2008, 02:25 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVpilot
I did the same Pan & Tilt as Crash from info on his site . He just removed the bottom and put a bolt through it. I did a few mounts but this is the one I liked the most and no linkage needed so there's less slop . FPVPan&Tilt
Looks cool, and I may try that. My only concern though, is that the weight is not centered on the servos output shaft, due to the camera being stuck to the side. So this means the servo is constantly loaded. I don't know if this is a problem or not. The HS65 appears to have plenty of torque (25 oz/in). But how does that affect the current draw to the servo?

edit: Actually, the one I'm currently using can be seen on the site you linked (near the top on the right). It's rather clunky and big, but it does balance the weight of the camera on the pivot point nicely, which limits the amount of torque on the servo.
Old Jan 06, 2008, 02:36 PM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
year1camaro, Car only goes 125km/hr or so over grass. I pretty much only run the truck at BMX tracks. I go to some parks which are 300m across when running in or tuning it up, but thats about it.

I was talkin about scale speed,,,,is this RPV or are you just recording?
Old Jan 06, 2008, 04:29 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Quote:
Hmm, under the rear wing i think is just asking to get your camera destroyed. The car hits jumps at 90km/h or faster and the landings are not always on it's wheels.. the wing takes a hell of a lot of abuse. You also get a massive amount of dust, dirt and debris up there not to mention fuel getting sprayed out if you roll really fast.
You're not seriously thinking about subjecting your video gear to that kind of punishment are you!?!?! Some nice pleasant drives down the road are just not enough for you eh??
Old Jan 06, 2008, 04:51 PM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Quote:
You're not seriously thinking about subjecting your video gear to that kind of punishment are you!?!?! Some nice pleasant drives down the road are just not enough for you eh??
yaya, LOL or maybe some nice strolls through the woods? LOL I don't think he's RPVin, I think he just lookin for some first person video footage. Ya I don't know how much these electronics can take but I have to admit with the camera in the right position takin some nasty jumps might be pretty cool.
Old Jan 06, 2008, 06:41 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Looks cool, and I may try that. My only concern though, is that the weight is not centered on the servos output shaft, due to the camera being stuck to the side. So this means the servo is constantly loaded. I don't know if this is a problem or not. The HS65 appears to have plenty of torque (25 oz/in). But how does that affect the current draw to the servo?

edit: Actually, the one I'm currently using can be seen on the site you linked (near the top on the right). It's rather clunky and big, but it does balance the weight of the camera on the pivot point nicely, which limits the amount of torque on the servo.
I thought the same thing and at first I used a HS-55 and it worked but the servo would buzz from the load at times. Before I gave up I tried the HS-65 and no problems or any buzz or hum. I'll hook up a meter and see if there's any difference in the power being consumed with and without the tilt servo attached .
Old Jan 06, 2008, 06:55 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:

I see your stepping it up to A "Whooole Notha Level" . I think it's best if you send it over here so I can build you a new chromoly roll cage with camera mounts. Of course I will need to test it a bunch of times before sending it back .

Here's a few references
Last edited by Crash9; Jan 06, 2008 at 07:02 PM.