radio shack sell them many years ago, call to be sure
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2007, 09:32 PM
Joined Jan 2007
708 Posts
yo can also get them through Digikey:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...infrared%20led

Just not to be disappointed at the end, I have to warn you that the range of these LED's is really about 1 - max 2 ft. So you have to have something in front of the truck to iluminate it - otherwise you cannot see anything. So if you plan to use these, you should point the beam to the ground and make sure your camera has the ground in view as well.

Also depending on the LED, the IR beam might be too narow, so it will take some testing and positioning to get it right. I would use several LED's either in line - or in some kind of formation in order to get more power output.

Oxy.
oxxyfx is offline Find More Posts by oxxyfx
Old Dec 24, 2007, 12:27 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
Well since this camera is on wheels and weight is not really the issue, why not give those surveillance cameras with the LED's built in a try? They do report 30 to 60 feet of viewable range on the camera (in the dark). I know mine (520TVL) for surveillance purpose works very well (a KT&C product of course )

Here is a cheaper and decent camera ( http://www.ktnc.co.kr/product_02_02.asp ). Ok there is a hitch here, one... the price tag of $132.00USD and the power consumption of 250mA if that is a problem.
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Dec 24, 2007, 08:55 AM
UNREGISTERED USER :)
New York
Joined Apr 2007
773 Posts
or get the leds that these cameras have I'm very limited with space look at the thing!

BTW the weather here is awasome today, yes its cold but still the sun is out and no clouds. No Flying for me thought. I will test the car on full speed today

damian
damian123 is offline Find More Posts by damian123
Old Dec 24, 2007, 03:16 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,970 Posts
Oxxyfx
range of the led are 1-2 feet, where did you take that?
10 years ago I got led that illuminate 10-20 feet, I used many, perhaps only one ht erange would be limited. But whit today led and far more sensitive cam that we have, the car could easily driveable in the dark. Think about the surveillance camera with infrared led, they install 6-8 led and it's enough to see inside a room.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 06:41 PM
Joined Jan 2007
708 Posts
This is from practice. I have a sony DV camera - and not a bad one, with infrared illumination to help the night shot. It will work from 1-2 feet maximum 3 feet away from the objects. As long as you have something the IR will reflect on, it will show up on your image. But do not expect that off the road in total darkeness you will see much if there isn't anything to bounce the IR beam back.

Look at these new LED flashlights. They are bright, and they give illumination for a few feet, but after that the light is lost. You cannot aim at the house across the street and see the beam on the wall - as you could see with the traditional flash light. The IR LED's are not any different.
oxxyfx is offline Find More Posts by oxxyfx
Old Dec 25, 2007, 02:51 PM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2004
1,143 Posts
Just a quick Xmas shot for the thread, this is my 3-year old racing around the neighborhood with his FPV 4WD car, watching it on him mum's new TV.
The AeroLink is used for the uplink, so 'uplink' range is no problem :-) (even through these concrete swiss walls)
The camera is a 0.003Lux B&W camera, which lets him sneak around looking for foxes at night by the illumination of Xmas lights :-)

Merry Xmas everyone!
AnthonyRC is offline Find More Posts by AnthonyRC
Old Dec 25, 2007, 03:17 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, MT, Missoula
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Mum's new TV looks like it will work great for FPV around the house .
Crash9 is offline Find More Posts by Crash9
Old Dec 25, 2007, 03:18 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, MT, Missoula
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Here's A video of my kids new backyard bike jump being abused by my FPV truck .

R/C Truck Jumpin and Drivin in FPV (3 min 39 sec)
Crash9 is offline Find More Posts by Crash9
Old Dec 25, 2007, 04:15 PM
Joined Oct 2006
493 Posts
Okay here is mine!
HPI Baja 5b FPV Style (8 min 14 sec)
Domoson is offline Find More Posts by Domoson
Old Dec 25, 2007, 07:37 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Very cool jump Crash. Looks like fun. I did some offroad'ing today at the In-Laws house. Bumpy again of course. I think I've found the problem though. I noticed there's a lot of slop in my camera pan/tilt system, and it's mostly due to the servos. I checked on your site, and sure enough, you've upgraded to a standard size servo in place of the HS81. I think that's what I need to do. It works ok for FPV flying, but FPV driving creates a whole lot more vibrations. So having the camera rock solid is much more important. Any reason why you went with the HS322? Is it better than the 311? I noticed the HS325HB has a top ball bearing. I wonder if that would be better.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Dec 25, 2007, 08:16 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,970 Posts
here the video I made to promote the new google headset from Fatshark last summer. Finally the goggle will be available next week or soon after
r/c race car with onboard video (3 min 41 sec)
Old Dec 26, 2007, 01:53 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyRC
Just a quick Xmas shot for the thread, this is my 3-year old racing around the neighborhood with his FPV 4WD car, watching it on him mum's new TV.
The AeroLink is used for the uplink, so 'uplink' range is no problem :-) (even through these concrete swiss walls)
The camera is a 0.003Lux B&W camera, which lets him sneak around looking for foxes at night by the illumination of Xmas lights :-)

Merry Xmas everyone!
Looks like mommy has a new TV for her shop I better not show my wife this picture or it will give her ideas
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Dec 26, 2007, 03:18 AM
Shenzhen, China
Joined May 2007
403 Posts
Sneak peek

This is the FPV RC car I'll be releasing at the Hong Kong Toy Show Jan 7th, 2008. It will come RTR with 4WD car, RCV922 goggle, camera and head tracking. Been fun testing
-Fat Shark
fatshark is offline Find More Posts by fatshark
Old Dec 26, 2007, 10:52 AM
Ridgeway, Co.
Joined Dec 2007
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatshark
This is the FPV RC car I'll be releasing at the Hong Kong Toy Show Jan 7th, 2008. It will come RTR with 4WD car, RCV922 goggle, camera and head tracking. Been fun testing
-Fat Shark
Those look like there alot of fun. Got any specs or video like the two cars chasing each other around. I noticed the Red car has no radio antenna is it 2.4ghz .
FPVpilot is offline Find More Posts by FPVpilot