SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:32 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2007
2,028 Posts
That's right! I saw that a while back but completely forgot about it. I remember some using it on ultra micro strykers and it worked out pretty well.
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:35 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVsummituk View Post
I am using the Immersion 5.8ghz, 600mw transmitter with SpiroNet antenna, for video, which seem to work very well with the fat shark goggles, and didn't lose video until 0.43 miles due to going too far out of LOS. The antenna is only 4 inches tall on both goggles and truck, so pretty good considering, I have yet to find somewhere that I can really test for distance LOS.
I think 5.8Ghz will be fine, 200mw should be enough, keeps cost down. I saw the antenna you mentioned on Hobby King's web site, might be a worthy investment but I need to leave room for the camera in the budget.

I also found somebody that is using Vx by tapping off a 3s battery powering his plane. Putting a 3s (11v) will power both the car and the Vx. Just need to find out how big the battery can be in the chassis. Seems a simple Google search is not turning up much in results.

I think 3s Lipos under 5000mah will work in the chassis. Not sure what run times would be with the stock motor but it give it a good shock
djfourmoney is offline Find More Posts by djfourmoney
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:27 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
FPVsummituk's Avatar
United Kingdom, Rayleigh
Joined Jan 2012
2,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfourmoney View Post
I think 5.8Ghz will be fine, 200mw should be enough, keeps cost down. I saw the antenna you mentioned on Hobby King's web site, might be a worthy investment but I need to leave room for the camera in the budget.

I also found somebody that is using Vx by tapping off a 3s battery powering his plane. Putting a 3s (11v) will power both the car and the Vx. Just need to find out how big the battery can be in the chassis. Seems a simple Google search is not turning up much in results.

I think 3s Lipos under 5000mah will work in the chassis. Not sure what run times would be with the stock motor but it give it a good shock
The 600mw will give a far better range.
FPVsummituk is online now Find More Posts by FPVsummituk
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:46 AM
KF5LDN FPV Junkie!!!
Wizzard033's Avatar
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Nov 2009
1,740 Posts
^^^^
Exponentially more range. And if buying HK video products be weary as just because it says "200mw" or whatever doesn't mean it is. I have a 200mw 900Mhz VTx from HK and it transmits a fraction of the distance as the 100mw 900Mhz VTx I bought from NG hobbies... Regardless of the antennae or VRx use in conjunction with it
Wizzard033 is offline Find More Posts by Wizzard033
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:54 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVsummituk View Post
The 600mw will give a far better range.
It might if I was really trying to go more than a half mile LOS.

But for what I have in mind is LOS and maybe 1/4 of a mile, I am working out the details now and I need to survey the areas I have in mind.
djfourmoney is offline Find More Posts by djfourmoney
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:58 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard033 View Post
^^^^
Exponentially more range. And if buying HK video products be weary as just because it says "200mw" or whatever doesn't mean it is. I have a 200mw 900Mhz VTx from HK and it transmits a fraction of the distance as the 100mw 900Mhz VTx I bought from NG hobbies... Regardless of the antennae or VRx use in conjunction with it
I wasn't looking at HK products, I can still get 200-400mw 5.8Ghz for $100 or less. In fact Fox FPV has what was their 200mw system now 400mw for the same price as before.

Again I need to survey the areas which I will run this thing. I don't think I'll be doing much running around my house.
djfourmoney is offline Find More Posts by djfourmoney
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:18 PM
Vanadu
Heavy Chevy's Avatar
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
Hey guys, I will be listing my FPV rig for sale. I've been waiting for a very specific type of tenor guitar to come up on ebay and today was the day so I need to re-coop some costs.

It's a Summit with a Toyota Tundra body with an FM esky 4ch air radio for range and pan and tilt. THe FPV is a 1.3 and will include goggles. I've mounted the camera with pan and tilt as the drivers head and there are hands on the wheel for that true cockpit view. It was all orginally inspired by the tonka summit, which I also have but I think the Tundra actually worked out better, (dare I say!). I will post the link once I list it.
Heavy Chevy is offline Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:55 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2007
2,028 Posts
The 600mW will give better range but it kind of depends on things too. Just start with the 200mW and go from there. The FoxTech 200mW with the right conditions and properly tuned antennas on a tracker (expensive!) will do just as well with the 600mW in the same conditions and properly tuned antennas.
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:15 PM
KF5LDN FPV Junkie!!!
Wizzard033's Avatar
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Nov 2009
1,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfourmoney View Post
I wasn't looking at HK products, I can still get 200-400mw 5.8Ghz for $100 or less. In fact Fox FPV has what was their 200mw system now 400mw for the same price as before.

Again I need to survey the areas which I will run this thing. I don't think I'll be doing much running around my house.
Fox is great gear and I don't think you can go wrong there That's not to knock HK products but they often exaggerate things...
Wizzard033 is offline Find More Posts by Wizzard033
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:36 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Chevy View Post
Hey guys, I will be listing my FPV rig for sale. I've been waiting for a very specific type of tenor guitar to come up on ebay and today was the day so I need to re-coop some costs.

It's a Summit with a Toyota Tundra body with an FM esky 4ch air radio for range and pan and tilt. THe FPV is a 1.3 and will include goggles. I've mounted the camera with pan and tilt as the drivers head and there are hands on the wheel for that true cockpit view. It was all orginally inspired by the tonka summit, which I also have but I think the Tundra actually worked out better, (dare I say!). I will post the link once I list it.
Good Luck on your sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfatboy View Post
The 600mW will give better range but it kind of depends on things too. Just start with the 200mW and go from there. The FoxTech 200mW with the right conditions and properly tuned antennas on a tracker (expensive!) will do just as well with the 600mW in the same conditions and properly tuned antennas.
No antenna tracking ATM, I will be in wide open spaces (hiking/biking trails) in local parks, one is at 700ft elevation.

2011-12-30 (5 min 27 sec)
- Chatsworth Park

Bronson Canyon-Griffith Park trail 5-22-2010 (2 min 13 sec)
- Griffith Park (Bronson Cyn, near Hollywood Sign)

Griffith Park Rally 2010 (5 min 14 sec)
- Tamiya DF03ra @ Griffith Park, just random camera shots.

Vasquez Rocks Datsun 240z Rally (3 min 15 sec)
- More from same people

The trees @ Grffith Park might be an issue with 5.8Ghz but maybe not, if I can get it high up (in a tree maybe?)

Disclosing a bit more than I want but, what the hey...

1/10 scale rally using FPV instead of standing around a small area (as we tend to do in the Americas) or walking behind the car (as they tend to do in Europe)

A tenth of a mile is 528ft but real Super Specials on WRC/IRC rallies are up to 30 miles in length. If range is 1/4 of mile let's say, then a stage would have to be about that long. Picking up the antenna and all that would be a "transport" stage to the next special.

As I said I am still sort of working this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard033 View Post
Fox is great gear and I don't think you can go wrong there That's not to knock HK products but they often exaggerate things...
System is currently OOS - http://www.foxtechfpv.com/58g-400mw-vtxrx-p-550.html

I am likely to do this in stages -

Car + Upgrades (TCS Race@Tamiya Factory Track), FPV System (explanation, reasons), Range Testing, First simulated Rally.

Budget still being worked out.
djfourmoney is offline Find More Posts by djfourmoney
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:52 AM
KF5LDN FPV Junkie!!!
Wizzard033's Avatar
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Nov 2009
1,740 Posts
@djfourmoney

Biking trails feel incredibly like driving a rally car even at 7-10MPH. I had a blast driving our local MTB trails. I need to break out my HPI RS4 rally car and put a video system in it. That's the main reason I bought it ($60 on eBay NIB with a fairly realistic interior) I always thought it would be sick to look over and see the copilot hold a map



Wizzard033 is offline Find More Posts by Wizzard033
Last edited by Wizzard033; Feb 18, 2013 at 01:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:08 AM
Vanadu
Heavy Chevy's Avatar
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
Wizzard, you got that for $60 bucks! What a score!! I love RC rally cars. Would be cool to see some video from the cockpit.


DJFOURMONEY, love that rally vid
Heavy Chevy is offline Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:43 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
FPVsummituk's Avatar
United Kingdom, Rayleigh
Joined Jan 2012
2,045 Posts
The trees @ Grffith Park might be an issue with 5.8Ghz but maybe not, if I can get it high up (in a tree maybe?)

RC from a treetop is not a good idea, you could fall out and damage your transmitter on the way down, even worse, you could land on your rc car!!!

Joking apart, I found that 5.8ghz is not too badly affected by the odd tree or bush, it is when you get several of them, in line, between you and your car, eg. when your car is the other end of a hedgerow, it is just too much to penetrate. Where as the odd tree or bush will only give slight blips and then regain signal strength as soon as it passes the offending object.

By the way, loved the rally videos, imagine how good they would be if you were also getting footage from the FPV video following them.
FPVsummituk is online now Find More Posts by FPVsummituk
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FPVsummituk; Feb 18, 2013 at 07:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:33 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
carguy1994ca's Avatar
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard033 View Post
^^^^
Exponentially more range...
Absolutly not. Twice the power will give you half more distance.
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:47 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard033 View Post
@djfourmoney

Biking trails feel incredibly like driving a rally car even at 7-10MPH. I had a blast driving our local MTB trails. I need to break out my HPI RS4 rally car and put a video system in it. That's the main reason I bought it ($60 on eBay NIB with a fairly realistic interior) I always thought it would be sick to look over and see the copilot hold a map



You found that on Ebay for $60 NIB????? I'm on Ebay quite a bit but I guess I am not looking for HPI stuff mostly because they no longer do organized racing. The Tamiya TCS is very strong and usually has two events on the west coast, but this year its only two and both in Southern California, I want to take advantage.

I say do it, I wouldn't get too caught up in the speed. As I said I play racing games and Wipeout HD can make you sick if you are easily disoriented.

Would be great to have pan on the driver's head and pace notes on the co-pilots hand. Put another camera on top like they do in the most rally races.

I know the RS4 Rally and some of the older TL-01 Tamiya came with driver covers for the electronics. The DF-03ra and XV-1 Tamiya both come with dust covers for the electronics. You can still get interiors for the cars from various places and I have though about it.

Have you been over to Scale Builders Guide? - http://scalebuildersguild.com/forum/

I can't wait to get this started...
djfourmoney is offline Find More Posts by djfourmoney
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Cheap FPV Car for Kids Domoson FPV Talk 8 Dec 28, 2007 05:13 PM
Looking for fun 51 build thread??Help??? fish2keel The Profile Brotherhood 0 Apr 07, 2005 04:27 PM
B-2 gets 48 minutes :) and other fun. Mikey-flies Parkflyers 2 Jul 27, 2003 08:44 PM
HECELLS, new video & other fun stuff Duf Parkflyers 0 Mar 24, 2003 08:35 AM