HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:24 PM
Joined Jan 2013
50 Posts
More Research

I have narrowed it down to a 1/18 scale or 1/16 scale car. My budget is around $100 for the car and I have found at least three that fit the bill.

Since the car is small, getting a small rx is important, sort of costly but anybody has a more affordable option beyond this one let me know.

The cameras suggested while affordable means creating your own mounting. Not an issue, just thought I would point that out.

Mounting will be in-car to lower center of gravity, I may cut a hole just large enough for fit the camera lenses. Like a recently saw a Sony HDR-150 AS mounted pointing out of the canopy of the F-15. (Nice camera BTW)

Its been suggested buying a Go Pro and recording locally makes more sense than trying to broadcast AND record with the Tx and Rx. This makes sense to me..

Increases the price dramatically though. Still working out total cost so a budget can be set.

Thanks for the input.
djfourmoney is offline Find More Posts by djfourmoney
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:46 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,340 Posts
The Gopro may be too big on such a small car. You can either record our Tx at GS, or you can add a small keychain camera to record on board.
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:39 PM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
Since you plan on using 1.3GHz video, what do you intend to use for RC control?
You probably already know, but 2.4GHz is gonna HATE being neighbors with that video frequency.
Long story about subharmonics, but it comes down to your control range getting murdered.

Heres a video of me testing some crud on my little 1:16 truck, so you know what being 2 inches off the ground feels like.

HK Truck FPV - Testing Gear (11 min 12 sec)

Skip to 1:22 if you get bored of the range testing.
(My video was still crispy clear after a mile, UHF control completely packed in though. )
Freakazoid is offline Find More Posts by Freakazoid
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:10 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,340 Posts
Quote:
Heres a video of me testing some crud on my little 1:16 truck, so you know what being 2 inches off the ground feels like.
Makes me feel like a dog sniffing around
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:27 AM
Nederland, Noord-Brabant, Hoogerheide
Joined Mar 2007
620 Posts
I'm going to test the gt2b from HK (2.4ghz) with 1.3 video also on a 1:16 HK truck.

Just because i have everything lying around for it

if i have tested it, i will report here

(i will test it with Freakazoid btw)
BadBert is offline Find More Posts by BadBert
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:40 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
We HAVE tested that, and it was crap. barely 50 meters.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:16 AM
Joined Jan 2013
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
Since you plan on using 1.3GHz video, what do you intend to use for RC control?
You probably already know, but 2.4GHz is gonna HATE being neighbors with that video frequency.
Long story about subharmonics, but it comes down to your control range getting murdered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBDpdO4IlNA

Skip to 1:22 if you get bored of the range testing.
(My video was still crispy clear after a mile, UHF control completely packed in though. )
Wait a second...

The Tx/Rx would be 1.2Ghz (not 1.3Ghz) since 5.8Ghz isn't good for range, I know that from Wifi-N experience, its terrible indoors... That leaves the crowded 2.4Ghz and largely open 1.2Ghz which many have said is good for range.

OnlyFlyingMachines suggested a 1.2Ghz with filter to not interfere with the 2.4Ghz. He runs a filter on all his Tx/Rx with 2.4Ghz radios. Price is $393 but it comes with a LCD screen and a camera. Without the screen it likely drops quite a bit, but I can get the same coax filter and the Tx/Rx for about 60% less from the links provided already.

I might as well spill it...

The 1:18 is a Brain Deegan Ford Fiesta RTR. On a 2c Lipo it will do about 25mph. Its okay on the included NiMh (1500mah).

$99 car, radio, battery and wall charger.

The other car is a Turnigy 1:16 Extreme Rally Brushless. It comes with a 4300kv Brushless and on a 2c is screams, on a 3c is flies...

With 2c Lipo pack, Fly Sky car radio about $120, add a decent lipo compatible charger for about $40.

Both come with NiMh batteries so I can use my current charger for few weeks.

Out of the box they need some tuning but that's okay, some new shock oil and a few tweaks and it they should handle just fine.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:35 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
Its a thing called subharmonics. 2.4GHz is a close multiple of 1.2/1.3Ghz.
Filter or not, it ll thump your RC receiver, lowering its gain considerably.
I had a whole buncha hi/lowpass filters on my test setup and it clapped out after 300 feet at best.

And I sincerely hope you're not buying one of those hubsan remotes.
A decent 7" LCD screen is about 35 dollars, camera about the same.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:31 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,340 Posts
I went about 400 feet with my DX7 and 1.3 ( or 1.2, its 1280 mhz, so depends how you round it). With stock TQi 2,4 ghz RC tx, i went about 500 feet. Could be more or less for you, depends of lots of factor. What is your goal for range ?

Since your buying on the cheapo side, try the car with the stock radio and see what range you get. You can always upgrade later. If you must by the radio seperatly, now there you have choice. If you want lots of range, like over 400-500 feet, forget 2,4 ghz and find and old 72 mhz plane radio (or the freq usually flown in your country for rc planes). That should be cheap and effective.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:19 PM
Joined Jan 2013
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
Its a thing called subharmonics. 2.4GHz is a close multiple of 1.2/1.3Ghz.
Filter or not, it ll thump your RC receiver, lowering its gain considerably.
I had a whole buncha hi/lowpass filters on my test setup and it clapped out after 300 feet at best.

And I sincerely hope you're not buying one of those hubsan remotes.
A decent 7" LCD screen is about 35 dollars, camera about the same.
Power outage during the game....

I understand what your saying, I was under the impression some people were using 2.4Ghz radios, those looking to drive say 1/2 mile or more did airplane radios for distance or Dragonlink (or similar) to put control on now largely empty (in the US) UHF.

I may go with 5.8Ghz and live with the distance limitations.

I'd be happy with 500-1000ft, that will allow me to have some fun without spending too much money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
I went about 400 feet with my DX7 and 1.3 ( or 1.2, its 1280 mhz, so depends how you round it). With stock TQi 2,4 ghz RC tx, i went about 500 feet. Could be more or less for you, depends of lots of factor. What is your goal for range ?

Since your buying on the cheapo side, try the car with the stock radio and see what range you get. You can always upgrade later. If you must by the radio seperatly, now there you have choice. If you want lots of range, like over 400-500 feet, forget 2,4 ghz and find and old 72 mhz plane radio (or the freq usually flown in your country for rc planes). That should be cheap and effective.
Cheapo side? How do you figure, just because I don't wanna spend -
  • $600 on a 1/0 Scale Crawler?
  • $200 on Go Pro White?
  • $300 on a Dragon Link?

I would get a Go Pro White if I thought it would work best, I am looking at all my options. I am not a big off-road person, there isn't much dirt here and running any type of off-road vehicle.

Besides I need a car here to start mocking things up... I am unemployed and on a sever budget as I have many other interest and things to do.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:43 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,340 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to offend you. I understand budget. It's just that since you were going with a budget in mind for the car, I was suggesting to first use the radio that comes with it and see the range you get. I first used my FPV set up woth a mini mauler truck on 27 mhz, so I started small. It was pretty fun actually to drive in the house.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:22 PM
KF5LDN FPV Junkie!!!
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Nov 2009
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfourmoney View Post
I was under the impression some people were using 2.4Ghz radios
I am! I have dragonlink but have as of yet to get any real testing on the ground as my Futaba 3PM MX 2.4G can out pace my 500mw 1.2 VTx. So there isn't much sense in replacing it until then.

I've hit 700' in a congested urban area though multiple homes and around 1700' LOS in the country.

Here are some links to a couple of my videos using the 2.4G Futaba. I know this particular radio isn't cheap but you CAN get respectable non LOS distance using 2.4G.
FPV Mea Simmons Park MTB Trails (9 min 26 sec)

and around a park in this video
FPV Wagoner Park (4 min 20 sec)

My crawler is a $275 RTR Axial Scorpion and the stock radio was comparable to the Futaba except missing some of the "fancy" features. I have tortured this truck and it's VERY dependable and I'm sure you'd get A LOT of run time.

There really isn't any "dirt" here in my neighborhood to speak of but it's very nice to be able to hop a curb, plough through tall grass, or cut through someones flower bed on occasion. Not that I'd ever do that.
Wizzard033 is offline Find More Posts by Wizzard033
Last edited by Wizzard033; Feb 04, 2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:59 PM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
I think american 100mW vs european 10mW radios is also an important point to raise.
Euro radios are often capped to 10mW due to some dumb regulations.
Which would obviously make them useless for long range ground control.

Personally I would love to get a hold of an american 100mW module on 72Mhz or something.
Because im sick of fighting my SUPPOSEDLY better UHF system while others make it well over a mile on simple stuff.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:14 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,340 Posts
Yea, never go in anyones flower myself, but inspecting the neighbors backyard is pretty fun...of course, just for range testing purposes

Nice range you got, the run arond the park looks fun. Why is the cam giving this "tunnel" picture ? Wide angle lens or is it one of those pico cam ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:39 PM
KF5LDN FPV Junkie!!!
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Nov 2009
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Yea, never go in anyones flower myself, but inspecting the neighbors backyard is pretty fun...of course, just for range testing purposes

Nice range you got, the run arond the park looks fun. Why is the cam giving this "tunnel" picture ? Wide angle lens or is it one of those pico cam ?
It's one of those cheesy $13 HK cams with a VERY wide angle lens attached. The lens was from an unknown camera and was "hot glued"on. I had no pan at that point so I opted for a "Frankenstein" lens.
Wizzard033 is offline Find More Posts by Wizzard033