SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 07, 2008, 07:09 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, MT, Missoula
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbostang
I've thought about building my own omni antenna. There seems to be no reason why it has to be so heavy. Can't an antenna be built out of some solid core copper wire and an SMA connector? It could be built into or taped to the vertical stabilizer. Only problem though is I don't have the tools to tune it properly. But it seems to me this could work just as well, if tuned properly, and be significantly lighter.
That's something I would like to do also . Keep me posted on this if you go through with it .
Crash9 is offline Find More Posts by Crash9
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2008, 07:39 PM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Quote:
Vova is on vacation right now I believe. You can find some 900MHz antennas here: http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/antennas_900.php I got the 3dbi rubber duck antenna. Be warned... the 5dbi's are big. About 17" long.
Thanks! Size is not an issue with antennas for me, i just want a high db so I can get some more range,,,,,the transmitter antenna is 3 ft long
year1camaro is offline Find More Posts by year1camaro
Old Apr 07, 2008, 07:51 PM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
[QUOTE=Crash9]Don't even get me started about Range Video but ohh..wait... there will be the same guys coming in here telling us how great his service is as they respond to this .... I've been waiting over 5 weeks for my stuff and now his shipping department is closed till the 15th.

On the other note I did the Mojave Part 2 video but the last desert race I went to the wind was howling so no flights not even the fullsize aircraft went up. I think it's going to be hit or miss until Summer gets here .

Been hopping up the Emaxx and finally got lipos for it. Working on a new Video (Soon To Be Released) where my buddy and I are racing around a track. Lots of fun

How's the Emaxx coming, and you ever start your 2 camera FPV plane?

The plane didn't get off the ground yet,,,,but I have been getting some parts together. E Maxx is coming along good. I think I posted a picture up back some. I hope to have another vid out soon too. Been busy building a track in the back yard, I have a few nitro 1/8 bashers that come over on sundays to play. Hmmm maybe I could throw the RPV in the mix with them all for a cool in the action video.
Old Apr 07, 2008, 08:19 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by year1camaro
Hmmm maybe I could throw the RPV in the mix with them all for a cool in the action video.
That would make an awesome video. Even if there passing you it's great stuff on a track cause it all comes around again for another lap. Rear cam or a FlyCamOnev2 could get some action that could be edited in later . I've been working on a video that's something like that .
Old Apr 07, 2008, 08:23 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by year1camaro
. Been busy building a track in the back yard, I have a few nitro 1/8 bashers that come over on sundays to play.
I see, Party at Camaro's house on Sunday, bring your own gas...
Old Apr 07, 2008, 08:27 PM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash9
I see, Party at Camaro's house on Sunday, bring your own gas...
NICE,,,,, and BYOB!!
Old Apr 07, 2008, 08:44 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Here's my idea of a very simple dipole antenna. Just two pieces of solid copper wire and an sma connector. Connects directly to the transmitter, so no coax or anything else to screw it up.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Apr 07, 2008, 11:58 PM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,618 Posts
Quote:
I've thought about building my own omni antenna. There seems to be no reason why it has to be so heavy. Can't an antenna be built out of some solid core copper wire and an SMA connector? It could be built into or taped to the vertical stabilizer. Only problem though is I don't have the tools to tune it properly. But it seems to me this could work just as well, if tuned properly, and be significantly lighter.

Dude, this weather has been such a drag lately. And the idiot weather man got it wrong last weekend. He said it was going to be rain on Saturday and sunny on Sunday. Yeah, right. Completely backwards! It was partly sunny on Saturday (but of course I was busy with other things then) and then it rained Sunday. Screw it. I flew yesterday evening anyways. Was tired of it and had to get in the air. We should get together sometime and do some FPV flying. I know Typical suggested a get-together last summer. But I don't know if that actually materialized or not.
You mean you actually believe the weather man?!?! I bet you even believe in the tooth fairy and Santa Clause too! Yeah the weather man said similar things but we got ahhh lets see, slight snow, then rain with nasty winds. Almost T-shirt weather the next day though but couldn't make it because of work. Always the case for me all week.... great flying weather when I'm at work but when it's time to take down my plane from my shop... the rain comes because it knows I want to fly. Oh wellll
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Apr 08, 2008, 01:36 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Well, Laur is Santa Claus. We have video proof of that. And I thought YOU were the Tooth Fairy!
Old Apr 08, 2008, 02:22 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,618 Posts
Quote:
Well, Laur is Santa Claus. We have video proof of that. And I thought YOU were the Tooth Fairy!
HEYYYY WHO ARE YOU CALLING A FAIRY!!!
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Apr 08, 2008, 08:37 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
:d :d

edit: Uhh, ok. The big smiley is not working for some reason. lol
Old Apr 08, 2008, 10:14 AM
Romania
Joined Nov 2007
197 Posts
Quote:
No ,my father is Santa, I just record
Laur 73 is offline Find More Posts by Laur 73
Old Apr 08, 2008, 10:35 AM
Surrey, UK
Joined May 2004
25 Posts
Calling all E-Maxx FPV'ers.

I've been driving my E-Maxx around a few times now but I'm not entirely happy with the video image. Seems very good when the car is static or driving slow, but not so great at full speed.

I think this is down to 2 things. 1. Vibes, and 2. Noise from the motor brushes. I know a few posting on this thread are using the E-Maxx (been following then closely) so would appreciate hearing how you've dealt with the above. Driving fast offroad FPV is great fun and would be so much better if the image didn't suffer so much.

Firstly the motor noise. Only seems to be apparent at higher speeds - say from half throttle upwards. I have read that brushed motors do mess with the camera or TX. Is the only way to remove this noise a brushless conversion?

Secondly I'm sure I'm still getting a slight up/down vibe from the camera when driving at speed. Wondered what people had done to remove this or dampen it? My tilt servo is pretty beefy and connected with slopless ball links but the camera is quite heavy (191) and doesn't tilt on its CofG which can't help. There is the smallest amount of play (I suspect in the servo itself) which only results in about 2mm of movement up/down at the camera lens end of the camera. I have thought about machining another mount which tilts the cam on its CofG but not sure if this will eliminate the vibes. Suppose the modded 'servo horn' which has to carry the camera and tilt servo could be flexing also.

Anyone else had this type of trouble with faster driving, and if so any suggestions?

Thanks.
LozMod is offline Find More Posts by LozMod
Old Apr 08, 2008, 11:50 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Here's a couple of tests you can do, if you are unsure of the exact cause of vibrations...

1) If you're getting vibrations during driving, could be anything! Ok move on to next step.

2) Support the car/truck on your workbench with the wheels off the surface. Run it up and observe the video image. No vib's? Then either your terrain is too rough, your suspension is not up to the task, or the camera mount is too flimsy. Still got the shakes? Move to next step...

3) Remove wheels, driveshafts, etc. Run it up. If it's smooth now, then there is an issue with the drivetrain and/or wheels/tires. If it's still shaking, then you are probably getting electrical interference from the motor(s) and/or video transmitter. Or some weird mechanical vibration from the gearbox.

All that being said, I still can't get the vibrations out of my buggy. I know where it's coming from (stupid dogbone driveshafts), I just can't fix it. Maybe I need to start with a chassis that's newer than 20+ years old. lol
Old Apr 08, 2008, 06:26 PM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LozMod
Calling all E-Maxx FPV'ers.

Anyone else had this type of trouble with faster driving, and if so any suggestions?

Thanks.
Go stang! nice answer! In my case I found that hard tires have a huge effect. I run moab xl tires for rock crawling,,,very soft compound. I have a very soft suspension too, it absorbs alot. The only problem other than what stang covered it could be is I noticed servo heads have alot of movement and is causing me a little vibration. If your running stock Chevron tires I'm sure that a big part.