SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 05, 2008, 02:16 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
Yes it is a great time to be alive indeed! Can you imagine what this would be like in the next few years from now?
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2008, 02:36 AM
Cameras are EVERYWHERE...
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2008
1,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTECH
Yes it is a great time to be alive indeed! Can you imagine what this would be like in the next few years from now?
...oh, yes, I CAN!!!
My goal:
FPV EDF F-16 capable of 150mph+. Long range not necessary YET, but when the itch to explore gets to me, it's all about range. And, flying an airshow-type display for the crowd.
WHOO-HOO!!!!!
tvdude310 is offline Find More Posts by tvdude310
Old Apr 05, 2008, 02:49 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash9
Humm looks like we reeled in another fish with this FPV stuff...
Crash,
If they ever do a FPV episode on the "All Things That FLy" Podcast, they should talk to you...They've already mentioned us a couple of times (on an AP episode, episode 37 & 41). Be good to have someone with the knowlege and a broad set of experience like you...Think it's a great way to get more into the program... What do you think?
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Apr 05, 2008, 02:31 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, MT, Missoula
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl
Crash,
If they ever do a FPV episode on the "All Things That FLy" Podcast, they should talk to you...They've already mentioned us a couple of times (on an AP episode, episode 37 & 41). Be good to have someone with the knowlege and a broad set of experience like you...Think it's a great way to get more into the program... What do you think?
Dude You always have great ideas I have had an IPOD for a couple of years and never looked into the podcast part of it. I heard there was an RC show but don't know how to use the podcast yet. Any ideas on how to get started so we can reel some newbies in
Crash9 is offline Find More Posts by Crash9
Old Apr 05, 2008, 02:36 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdude310
...oh, yes, I CAN!!!
My goal:
FPV EDF F-16 capable of 150mph+. Long range not necessary YET, but when the itch to explore gets to me, it's all about range. And, flying an airshow-type display for the crowd.
WHOO-HOO!!!!!
My FPV dream is doing a Top Gun flight through the desert canyons below Hard Deck. Going to need some long range gear also .
Old Apr 05, 2008, 02:41 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,453 Posts
Quote:
Dude You always have great ideas I have had an IPOD for a couple of years and never looked into the podcast part of it. I heard there was an RC show but don't know how to use the podcast yet. Any ideas on how to get started so we can reel some newbies in
Just go to the website. On the right margin click into "subscribe w/ itunes". Your I tunes will do its thing and put it on your Ipod.

If you want you can contact diggs, gfburke, or justplanechris. They are the hosts of the podcast and have expressed interest in FPV.

It's really informative and quite addictive. You will find yourself waiting every Tuesday for the new episode. I listen to it at work or when I'm running. They're good for a lot of info and some laughs...Their subscribers are growing...I'm sure they can help us get a positive word out...
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Apr 05, 2008, 02:55 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2008
1,879 Posts
Quote:
My FPV dream is doing a Top Gun flight through the desert canyons below Hard Deck. Going to need some long range gear also .
...Oh, that would be SO COOL. The other great thing about FPV is that it makes formation flight so much easier. I'll be your wingman if I ever get the project in the air!
TVDude
Old Apr 07, 2008, 10:48 AM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Range Video

What's up guys,,,,I got this KX191 camera from range and it can't see in the night as advertise. I tried contacting range and I'm getting no response anymore, has anyone been in contact with Vova? He was talkin about a more light sensitive 4.00 mm IR corrected lens he would send but I've received nothing......I spent this loot on the 900mhz system and this camera and have not really used it yet. Depressing.... Also anyone have a source for 900MHZ whip antennas? 5- 9 dbi omni directional.

P.S. Where are all the ground FPV talks? Hey crash9 whens the next baja race and are you filming FPV? I love to get a copy!!!
year1camaro is offline Find More Posts by year1camaro
Old Apr 07, 2008, 10:53 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by year1camaro
What's up guys,,,,I got this KX191 camera from range and it can't see in the night as advertise. I tried contacting range and I'm getting no response anymore, has anyone been in contact with Vova? He was talkin about a more light sensitive 4.00 mm IR corrected lens he would send but I've received nothing......I spent this loot on the 900mhz system and this camera and have not really used it yet. Depressing....
EEEEKS!! Should of bought the Intelligent Flight camera for night operations... I tested in the dark and the results were impressive! Secondly looks like you are not alone with issues with Vova, I hope things get resolved soon for you buddy!!
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Apr 07, 2008, 01:52 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Vova is on vacation right now I believe. You can find some 900MHz antennas here: http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/antennas_900.php I got the 3dbi rubber duck antenna. Be warned... the 5dbi's are big. About 17" long.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Apr 07, 2008, 02:44 PM
Warrenton, VA
Joined Dec 2002
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbostang
Vova is on vacation right now I believe. You can find some 900MHz antennas here: http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/antennas_900.php I got the 3dbi rubber duck antenna. Be warned... the 5dbi's are big. About 17" long.
Stang
Yeah, I've got the 3db which is pretty big as it is. That may just end up staying on the ground on the receiver. Dunno yet. Can't experiment. Is this weather ever gonna break so we can find out? Man, what a drag. You and I and Typical are all in the same area, wondering the same thing . . . . .
Va-PFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Va-PFlyer
Old Apr 07, 2008, 03:59 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
I've thought about building my own omni antenna. There seems to be no reason why it has to be so heavy. Can't an antenna be built out of some solid core copper wire and an SMA connector? It could be built into or taped to the vertical stabilizer. Only problem though is I don't have the tools to tune it properly. But it seems to me this could work just as well, if tuned properly, and be significantly lighter.

Dude, this weather has been such a drag lately. And the idiot weather man got it wrong last weekend. He said it was going to be rain on Saturday and sunny on Sunday. Yeah, right. Completely backwards! It was partly sunny on Saturday (but of course I was busy with other things then) and then it rained Sunday. Screw it. I flew yesterday evening anyways. Was tired of it and had to get in the air. We should get together sometime and do some FPV flying. I know Typical suggested a get-together last summer. But I don't know if that actually materialized or not.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Apr 07, 2008, 06:24 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2008
1,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbostang
I've thought about building my own omni antenna. There seems to be no reason why it has to be so heavy. Can't an antenna be built out of some solid core copper wire and an SMA connector? It could be built into or taped to the vertical stabilizer. Only problem though is I don't have the tools to tune it properly. But it seems to me this could work just as well, if tuned properly, and be significantly lighter.
Absolutely right about this Stang. As long as the model is made from some inert material you can hide the antenna inside somewhere. So, how do you tune it? Well, if you don't have the right equipment (spectrum analyzer, VSWR meter, etc.) you can check for the specs from your current antenna. If you can find the specs, they should list wavelength and possibly "electrical length". If all you have is wavelength, you can figure out it's electrical length by dividing the wavelength over and over until you end up with a number that looks close to being right. Unfortunately, your current antenna is most likely coiled conductor, so it's electrical length will be a lot longer than it's physical length. This might prevent you from mounting it inside the plane.
The cheapest way to figure it all out is to buy a Radio Shack VSWR meter. Start with a length of wire that you think is close to the right length, plus at least 20%. Put the meter in line and start cutting off small bits until you get as close as possible to zero on the meter. Keep in mind that it will probably never be perfect. Also, if you hit the sweetspot and are standing there looking at 5 feet of wire, keep cutting. You may find several more sweetspots on the way down to a size that works. And if not, you've only lost a long piece of wire.
Old Apr 07, 2008, 06:48 PM
Joined Feb 2005
150 Posts
You can do a lot better than that by starting off with something that's a lot closer to begin with.

You can go to this site:
http://www.crompton.com/wa3dsp/hamradio/antcalc.html

This will calculate the correct element lengths for most common antenna types. When you enter the input frequency of the target antenna, pick the "center" frequency if your device can transmit on more than a single frequency.

The only "new" SWR meter available at Radio Shack is for HF only - it won't give accurate results for the frequency ranges that we use for video downlinks. A good SWR meter that works from 500Mhz and above is NOT cheap and really isn't necessary at the power levels you're transmitting at IF you take care to build a good antenna system.

If you're very careful to craft a well grounded antenna system that is pretty close to the length required, you should be ok. Avoid loops in your feed line and try to keep the feed line as short as you can. Use high quality coax and don't use crimp-on connectors if you can avoid it. If you make your own cables, makes sure to test them with a volt meter to make sure there's no shorts from the shield to the center conductor. Accidents happen.

73 de KA7AFE.

g.
geneb is offline Find More Posts by geneb
Old Apr 07, 2008, 07:46 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by year1camaro
What's up guys,,,,I got this KX191 camera from range and it can't see in the night as advertise. I tried contacting range and I'm getting no response anymore, has anyone been in contact with Vova? He was talkin about a more light sensitive 4.00 mm IR corrected lens he would send but I've received nothing......I spent this loot on the 900mhz system and this camera and have not really used it yet. Depressing....!!!
Don't even get me started about Range Video but ohh..wait... there will be the same guys coming in here telling us how great his service is as they respond to this .... I've been waiting over 5 weeks for my stuff and now his shipping department is closed till the 15th.

On the other note I did the Mojave Part 2 video but the last desert race I went to the wind was howling so no flights not even the fullsize aircraft went up. I think it's going to be hit or miss until Summer gets here .

Been hopping up the Emaxx and finally got lipos for it. Working on a new Video (Soon To Be Released) where my buddy and I are racing around a track. Lots of fun

How's the Emaxx coming, and you ever start your 2 camera FPV plane?

Latest Videos

FPV in the Mojave Desert Part 2, Trains & Planes (3 min 40 sec)

My FPV Crashes "Part 2" (3 min 57 sec)
Last edited by Crash9; Apr 07, 2008 at 08:35 PM.