HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2008, 10:35 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Ok, I tested it out with the 6dbi whip from Hyperlink. No change in the glitching/interference.

Oh well. I had plans to build some short range and long range FPV aircraft. The short range were going to be small lightweight parkflyer's and probably were destined to use the lightweight 2.4GHz 10mW or 50mW Tx's. I was hoping though, that if the 900MHz worked out real good, I'd try to squeeze them on the small planes for less multipathing issues. But it appears that the 900MHz Tx is destined for the large planes where I can put some distance between it and the servos.

Alas, my plans for world domination are foiled again...
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:14 PM
Cameras are EVERYWHERE...
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2008
1,879 Posts
All servos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbostang
Ok, I tested it out with the 6dbi whip from Hyperlink. No change in the glitching/interference.

Oh well. I had plans to build some short range and long range FPV aircraft. The short range were going to be small lightweight parkflyer's and probably were destined to use the lightweight 2.4GHz 10mW or 50mW Tx's. I was hoping though, that if the 900MHz worked out real good, I'd try to squeeze them on the small planes for less multipathing issues. But it appears that the 900MHz Tx is destined for the large planes where I can put some distance between it and the servos.

Hey 'Stang-
Does this problem occur with ANY servo you have powered up, or just this particular model? Some have said (and I have no experience with this) that certain servos are horribly susceptible to this kind of thing...so maybe your dream of world domination is still alive! If you have a different servo (from a different manufacturer), I'd be real curious to see if it exhibits the same issue. It would be a shame to get rid of your new video gear, and an even bigger shame to forfeit your FPV ideas. If a different servo does the same thing, then call the folks who sold you the video gear and ask them what they think. It's entirely possible that you got a dud, and they will probably be happy to exchange it for you.
I hope you get it worked out!
TVDude
tvdude310 is offline Find More Posts by tvdude310
Old Mar 21, 2008, 03:37 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbostang
Oh noooo I hope it wasn't Project X you were talking to me about a few months ago?
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:00 PM
No guts no glory
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
1,677 Posts
I thought someone put a 900mhz tx on a trex450 before, does anyone remember who it was ? I fitted my trex with hxt servos and they go totaly nuts when I turn on my 900mhz tx even if I install it as far as I can on the tail boom I'd also like to know which brand/ type of servos work with the 900mhz nearby. So far all my attempts from shielding the servos from the tx interference failed. I have hs 55s, 56s and a whole bunch of hxt servos and they all go crazy when the 900mhz tx is on. I dont want to install a 2.4ghz video system in that trex since Ive already spent some $ on a 900mhz system and xps module/ rx just for it.

I still havent heard back from Vova on this I sent an email last weekend.
pratorian is offline Find More Posts by pratorian
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:08 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, MT, Missoula
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
I used the 900 gear on my Trex 450 with good results doing FPV flight around my house . I use a 2.4 radio though....and the funny thing is I have it mounted directly under the servos with no issues.
Crash9 is offline Find More Posts by Crash9
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:22 PM
No guts no glory
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
1,677 Posts
I was pretty sure it was you and was about to write you a pm What kind of servos did you use ? I'm also using 2.4 radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash9
I used the 900 gear on my Trex 450 with good results doing FPV flight around my house . I use a 2.4 radio though....and the funny thing is I have it mounted directly under the servos with no issues.
pratorian is offline Find More Posts by pratorian
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:28 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratorian
I was pretty sure it was you and was about to write you a pm What kind of servos did you use ?
I use the Hitec HS-65HB's and a Futaba 9650 on the tail .
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:50 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2008
1,879 Posts
Pratorian

It sounds like your 900mhz Tx has issues. Is it the same model as Crash9's? Maybe his was built to better tolerances, or it's just a better design, or yours has to be exchanged.
I'm curious to hear what the manufacturer says about it.
Good luck, I hope you get it worked out.
Rob
Old Mar 21, 2008, 04:56 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
To answer a few questions in one shot... I still plan on using the 900MHz Tx, it's just that I probably won't get to use it for all I had hoped for. Since some servos seem to be very picky about it, and distance is critical, I won't be able to use it for the small park flyer planes. It will be going on my Twinstar at some point, but even then I may have to move things around to make everything happy.

I bought the 900MHz Tx from Range Video. The first one I had was very qwerky. Sometimes glitching, sometimes not. So Vova sent me a new one. This one does the same glitching, except it's consistent now, always doing it. I assume it is the same one Crash9 has. And if he is using HS-65's, well those are pretty good. It's not unless you get real close to the servo (or even touching the antenna to the servo or servo wire) that you have big problems. Still though, I'd like to see a similar test of his Tx to what I did. For sure though, I need to get rid of the servo I've got on the steering. That thing is just junk. BUT, it is the original servo from when I first purchased my Tamiya Falcon. So that's uhh, 22 years old or so! lol I'm sure the filtering is nowhere near as good as today's servos. The HS325 I'm using for camera pan seems to work pretty good, and I think it's a drop in replacement (not sure about spline size though), so I'll get another one of those for the steering.

BTW, I sent the video also to Vova, but have not gotten a reply from him about it.

Project X? That's plan B.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 06:50 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Yeah where both using the same 500mw 900TX. I have 2 from RV.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 06:55 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Crash, if you get a chance, can you do a similar test like what I did? Power everything up and then move the video transmitter around the servos, receiver, antenna, etc. Even touch the video Tx antenna to the servo wires.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:36 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
OK my test is done . I tried 3 TX. 2)500mw 900mhz tx from RV and 1) from Hobby Wireless with the following platform:

TwinStarII with HS-81 and 85 Hitec servos
Berg 7 ch. with 28 xtal and Futaba 9C
2 Castle Creations 25 amp ESC
Eflite Park 480 BL outrunners
2 3cell 2100mha lipos
1 2100 3cell lipo for 900 TX

I use this plane because it has many wires running everywhere like long servo Y's and extension and nothing twisted or braided.

What I found was nothing other then a slight buzz when I put the whip tip right to the servo or it's wires, I even put it to the Berg RX and antenna but no servo movement or glitching, just the buzz that hitec servos love to make. So I decided to place the 9C 20' away with the antenna down and......nothing.

Sorry Stang, I tried....I even tried different channels but it's rock solid.
One thing though... feel better about my stuff now
Old Mar 22, 2008, 07:41 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Thanks Crash. I appreciate you checking that. I feel worse about my stuff now.

If it's not too much bother, can you test it on your Trex 450 also? I'm interested in how the HS65's will react.

Hmm, I was using an FMA receiver. I have a spare Berg7P laying around. Maybe I'll try that too.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 11:34 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2008
1,879 Posts
I wonder if the guys at Range Video tried to crank up the gain on some of these to get a stronger link, and ended up overdriving them?
Old Mar 22, 2008, 11:44 AM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
I'll try it again with a Hitec electron 6 RX, Futaba RX and some old crapy servos I have here somewhere also.