SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 17, 2008, 12:15 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Here's what it looks like assembled, at full extension.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2008, 03:57 AM
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbostang
So, I was at a gas station one day, filling up the 30 gallon tank ( ) in my Expedition (which usually takes a couple of hours). Anyway, I happen to see one of those little matchbox cars go by (err Smartcar). I looked at the matchbox car, then looked at my Expedition, then looked at the matchbox car, etc. And I thought to myself. NO WAY would I be caught dead in one of those things. But then it occurred to me that if someone was in an accident with one of those death traps, they probably would! They're so small, they'd just bury you in it probably, instead of trying to remove the twisted metal from your face.

Expedition vs. Smartcar. Or put another way, 6,000lbs vs. 1,800lbs. I think I have an idea of who would win.

BTW, a friend at work calls the Excursion the "Evacuation".
Getting out of subject here but...
I am sorry twinturbostang but I'll have to disagree with that!
Your theory heavy vehicle=safe vehicle is sooo 50s and I am surpriced that there are still people thinking so wrong.

First of all the Smart car might be a novelty and look strange in the States but it's been around for quite sometime in Europe (3rd generation now) and has proved that it's safety is far superior than many other full size passenger cars (it has to because the crash tests and safety standards here are pretty intensive). The Smart is not your average ultra mini - el cheapo car, like older Fiat Cinquecentos, Citroen 2CV, old mini Coopers, etc that where cute and hip but built with production cost as a priority or the contemporary American sub-compact cars that are sold to POOR people.
Smart is designed and built by Mercedes Benz as a necessity and solution to the parking problems in the big cities, without sacrifising quality,it's a pretty expensive car (you can buy much bigger cars for the same money like Opel Corsa, Peugeut 207, VW Golf) and it's packing much twice the mechanical technology and processing power than the usuall Detroit dynosaur - which by the way most of them have the handling of a boat in rough sea - simply unacceptable for the European standards - that's what I call a death trap!

Bottom line size doesn't always matter and your average 3 ton badly designed with crappy handling SUV can kill you much faster, than an lightweight, high tech minicar (with ingenious crumble zones, rigid space frame around the passenger area and dessent handling - don't take my word for it - have a look at the crash tests and the statistics). So don't worry how they gonna take you out of it because chances are you won't be caught dead in it! ;-)
It's not a thing of MASS, rather clever design, minimun mass/inertia, efficient force distribution for rigidity and impact absorption.

Cheers
Dimitris

PS I remembered my grandfather who was bragging about his 1960s big black Mercedes that you could drive straight through a brick wall and engage in fender benders without a bend and was simply indestructable. He had a feeling of safety driving around the other admitably flimsy european cars of the era, but I don't even wanna think how many Gs would the passengers sustain in case of a frontal collision! Ignorance is a blessing.... DS
Dimitris76 is offline Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Old Mar 17, 2008, 11:57 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Dimitris, I was mostly just poking fun. Hence the reason for the 's But you are right, The Smart is actually a very safe vehicle given the technology that is put into it. It IS rather expensive as you mentioned, which I found surprising.

However, given all that, a Smart crashing head on with an Expedition WILL NOT fair as well as the Expedition. It's a matter of physics, kinetics, inertia, etc. Against other small(er) cars like in Europe, I agree, it would do really well.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 01:05 PM
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,538 Posts
Fair enough...

Just for those thinking of buying such a car:
if you have alot of junk to carry around (as is the case with families with children and/or R/C fliers) - it's not for you. It's strictly a two seater for commuting with a trunk big enough only for a couple of grossery bags... ;-(

Dimitris
Dimitris76 is offline Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Old Mar 17, 2008, 10:03 PM
I buy,I crash, I buy more
North Dallas
Joined Jan 2008
42 Posts
Hummer vs Smartcar

I think I ran over one of those smartcars a few weeks ago in my H2. I'm just not sure, I felt a small bump and just wrote it off as speed bump I never saw. Oh well.

Joking aside, Mercedes built or not, its simple physics. An 18 wheeler would destroy a large SUV and the driver would likely walk away no problem. The same would apply in the case of SUV vs Tiny Box Smartcar.
swwesq is offline Find More Posts by swwesq
Old Mar 17, 2008, 10:15 PM
Joined Feb 2005
150 Posts
swwesq: I wish I could recall where I saw the crash test video of a Mercedes SUV vs a Smart Fortwo. The little Smart basically bounced away after being struck at 40MPH.

There was also a bit of footage done recently in the UK where they ran a Smart into a concrete Jersey barrier at 70MPH. While any occupants would have been killed by just the speed of the impact alone, no components of the car intruded into the passenger compartment. AFAIK that one is on Youtube somewhere.

g.
geneb is offline Find More Posts by geneb
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:19 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Ok guys. We're really getting off topic here. Unless someone wants to do some FPV driving with a Smart car. Might be safer for those high impact test crashes. Anyway, I leave you with one more thought, and then it's back to business.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:33 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,620 Posts
OUCH TTS!!! Better not show that pic to Domoson He might get bummed out for buying a Bummer.
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:38 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Bah. There's only one REAL Hummer. And it doesn't have a little "2" or "3" after it.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 02:26 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,620 Posts
Quote:
Bah. There's only one REAL Hummer. And it doesn't have a little "2" or "3" after it.
heh heh.. Brian... ok... I have to admit this. I so agree with you
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Mar 18, 2008, 09:12 AM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Quote:
Can you explain where to put the fuel line? I'm not sure where it should go.

BTW, after thinking about it, I'm sure dogbones work good in certain applications. But in this particular one (Tamiya Falcon) I don't believe it was designed with that much attention. The shafts are rather short, and the suspension travel is quite large. Meaning, there is quite a bit of angular deflection. That causes slight binding in the drivetrain. When I spin the wheels, I can actually feel it "cogging" a little, as the dogbone likes to be in a certain position. I believe that is what causes the vibration.
It would go where you slide the axle in, not on the axle itself. What you tryin to do is keep the shaft centered where it rides. You might not have any play like that, I can't tell, but ti would cause vibration. You could also try limiting the amount of travel on the shock so it can't bind as you explained...
year1camaro is offline Find More Posts by year1camaro
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:40 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by year1camaro
It would go where you slide the axle in, not on the axle itself. What you tryin to do is keep the shaft centered where it rides. You might not have any play like that, I can't tell, but ti would cause vibration. You could also try limiting the amount of travel on the shock so it can't bind as you explained...
Ok, gotcha. I don't know if there's room in there or not, but I'll check.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:55 AM
FPV Pilot
United States, MT, Missoula
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Not to get off topic here (lol ) but I saw this video on RCU of some boat racing. It's got some onboard video that makes me want a boat for some FPV driving. It's funny that I don't have one yet and I live 2 blocks from a large lake, humm maybe it's because I have a full-size one .

The Traxxas electric w/Twin motors looks good.

http://rcuvideos.com/item/B58Y92DH3D9M9Y7F
Crash9 is offline Find More Posts by Crash9
Old Mar 18, 2008, 06:44 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Well, I got a new 900MHz Tx from Vova. It came yesterday. Awesome customer service! That's the good news. The bad news is it's still glitching the servos. But the difference between this Tx and the last one is the last one was not consistent at all. One day it would appear to be fine, then next day it would be glitching. So far my testing of this one is consistent... glitching all the time! So am I better or worse at this point?!?!

I need to do a short video to show you guys what I'm seeing.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 06:54 PM
I buy,I crash, I buy more
North Dallas
Joined Jan 2008
42 Posts
Ya, I pull H's out of the mud all the time. Unless they by the $150k alpha 1 with a turbo diesel, they have no power.

As far as that pic above goes, it doesn't show you that it was a train that hit the hummer and the other car just hit the curb. LOL

I was rear ended a few months ago, I have no idea how fast the other car was going, but the front end of this bmw split in half and both airbags deployed. I hardly felt it and had nothing but a few scratches on my Metal bumper, not plastic, but metal.

Anyway, I know I started the flame wars, sorry!

Lets get back to the real fun FPV.

Quote:
swwesq is offline Find More Posts by swwesq