SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 07, 2008, 06:08 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Do you have the dual output receiver then? Or do you use a splitter? I just got the single output receiver, so I had planned on running it through my Oracle, which also works as a buffered splitter to my goggles and recorder.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2008, 01:19 PM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
BTW, I just realized... Ford and Chevy guys communicating in a rational discussion! How about that!! [/QUOTE]

Ya,,, usually does'nt happen like that does it, I can't even pull along side a Mustang without there bein somethin goin down,,, but we best keep the 1:1 muscle cars out this conversation, lol Even thou my second choice for an early muscle car would be a 67 Mustang. Such a hot body style,,, I was surprised how well of a job Ford did with the throw back stang.....very nice. I am not diggin the prototype throw back camaro nearly as much,, looks alot like a vette if you ask me. Dodge concept Challenger is also very hot, very retro. But you just can't beat the feel of a steel car from the 60's under your ass!
year1camaro is offline Find More Posts by year1camaro
Old Feb 08, 2008, 01:24 PM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash9
That rig is coming along year1camaro.

I have to say that I rearly use the 2.4 gear anymore. You have to have more gear to get a good signal like 2 antennas and RXs so it's just simpler to use the 900. Not that I want to put down the 2.4 having 2 complete systems around here, it has better electronics IMO and when I have a buddy here they get to use the car with it .
I'm gonna look into a 900 mhz system soon, thanks fpvpilot and crash9 for the props on the truck,,,,,If all goes well it should be very nice to look at when it's done,,,,I have some trophy plateing to use for panels and they shine like crazy,,,on my MSN space my rock crawler uses the same plateing.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 11:36 AM
Ridgeway, Co.
Joined Dec 2007
132 Posts
Found this picture on the main page . Does 30mph with 2 EDFs. So there you go Crash9 another thing for you to FPV
FPVpilot is offline Find More Posts by FPVpilot
Old Mar 08, 2008, 10:50 PM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
I have question if anyone has the answer. I just receiver my 900mhz system from range video. I also picked up the KX191 camera. It says night mode on it but I can't see anything at night and was wondering if I need IRs or some headlights. Anyone have one of these cameras? By the way the first test of 900mhz seems promising compared to the 2.4ghz.
Old Mar 09, 2008, 01:13 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by year1camaro
I have question if anyone has the answer. I just receiver my 900mhz system from range video. I also picked up the KX191 camera. It says night mode on it but I can't see anything at night and was wondering if I need IRs or some headlights. Anyone have one of these cameras? By the way the first test of 900mhz seems promising compared to the 2.4ghz.
I think what they meant is that the camera is low LUX and suppose to see in a low light environment. If you wish to see in total darkness then yes, the camera would require some assistance like IR or maybe a headlight system on your truck Think your lipos would handle those PIAA Xenon lights?
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Mar 09, 2008, 10:27 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Hey Crash. Have you had any RC interference problems with your 900MHz video? I recently got a 900MHz system, and am having a lot more RC glitching than with my 2.4GHz system. I know the best thing to do is separate the components as far as you can, but that's pretty hard to do on a small RC car! Anyway, with the Tx in the same place as where the 2.4GHz Tx was, the servos twitch like crazy. I even switched receivers to see if that would help, but it didn't. Just trying to figure out if this is normal or if there's something wrong with my 900 MHz Tx. BTW, this is with 72MHz RC control. Tell me your experience with 72 and 900.
Old Mar 09, 2008, 10:42 PM
Ridgeway, Co.
Joined Dec 2007
132 Posts
Humm that not fun to figure out .
FPVpilot is offline Find More Posts by FPVpilot
Old Mar 09, 2008, 10:55 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, MT, Missoula
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbostang
Hey Crash. Have you had any RC interference problems with your 900MHz video? I recently got a 900MHz system, and am having a lot more RC glitching than with my 2.4GHz system. I know the best thing to do is separate the components as far as you can, but that's pretty hard to do on a small RC car! Anyway, with the Tx in the same place as where the 2.4GHz Tx was, the servos twitch like crazy. I even switched receivers to see if that would help, but it didn't. Just trying to figure out if this is normal or if there's something wrong with my 900 MHz Tx. BTW, this is with 72MHz RC control. Tell me your experience with 72 and 900.
On my test with the 2 radios FM vs 2.4 and 900 vs 2.4 I had some glitching that became worse the futher it got away but nothing that bothered me to much when using the 72mhz radio. I did mount the 900 TX right above the RX (pattern dead zone ). Also this past weekend I suffered some glitching on my FM equiped EasyStar which has a 4ch berg RX and 900TX. This was the first time that has happened but my Twin Boom that has a Berg 7ch had no issues at all both on ch28 and the same 900TX. How is it on your TwinStar any Glitching?
Crash9 is offline Find More Posts by Crash9
Old Mar 09, 2008, 11:16 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash9
How is it on your TwinStar any Glitching?
I just hooked it up for the first time, and got glitching. It actually went into failsafe with the RC transmitter just a few feet away. Oh, this is not good.

How far separated do you have the 900 Tx and the RC Rx on your twinboom? Also, what kind of servos are you using, both on your cars and the twinboom? I think I've heard somewhere that some servos can be sensitive to 900MHz.

I was really looking forward to using 900MHz, but this is not looking good.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:20 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Ok, this is REALLY WEIRD. I was getting bad glitching, to the point where the receiver went into failsafe. I'm trying both my RC car and my Twinstar. So I put the video Tx on my car, power it all up, check it, then turn it off, move it over to the Twinstar, etc. At one point while testing it on my RC Car, I saw the most extreme glitching and weird servo behavior I've ever seen. Holding the video Tx two feet away from the car, the servos were just about quiet. As I moved the Tx closer, the servos would start to "tick" and chatter. In particular the steering servo would actually start to rotate, making the wheels turn to one side. The closer I brought the Tx, the farther the wheels would turn. VERY STRANGE. I could move the Tx closer, farther, closer, farther, and the wheels would turn right, go straight, turn right, go straight. W T F!?!?!?!

Anyway, that's half the story. I did some more tinkering. Took the cover off the Tx to see if there was anything funny going on in there. Didn't see anything, so I put the cover back on. Wow, it's absolutely perfect now! I can set the transmitter directly over the receiver, right next to the servos, etc. and it's all dead quiet now!! I don't know what happened!

If it continues to work like this, it will be great. But that does cause some concern though. There must have been some spurious transmissions going on, and now have stopped for some reason. But I can't figure out why. Any ideas guys? I may send an e-mail to Vova asking if he's got any ideas what's going on with this transmitter.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:31 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
I just thought of something... I wonder if the case cover was not grounded well. If I recall before I opened the case, if I pressed on it with my finger, I would see/hear some strange RC glitching. It would also do that if my hand/fingers got close to the Tx case (few inches or so). When I put the case cover back on, I made sure it was a tight fit. Running a bead of solder around it might even be a good idea to make absolutely sure the case cover is grounded real good.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 09:27 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Geez. I shoulda known it couldn't be THAT easy. Powered it up today, and I'm back where I was at. Major glitching and distortion in the servos. It doesn't seem to be consistent either. Sometimes I'll power it up and it's better than other times. This thing is really getting on my nerves now.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 09:52 PM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Hey guys, I found out I just need some IR's from the dude at range video. I just would like to say I have not had any glitching after going to 900mhz. I really isolated my receiver from the video transmitter this time. I also built a tray up off the chassis for it and the video transmitter sits at the very rear of my truck up on it's own shelf off the chassis. I run 72MHZ.......Does anyone have a good source for cheap 900MHZ antennas,,,,these stubs they give u don't cut it at all for me.
Its takin forever to get this water-proof, but this is how it's lookin.

Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:05 PM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbostang
Geez. I shoulda known it couldn't be THAT easy. Powered it up today, and I'm back where I was at. Major glitching and distortion in the servos. It doesn't seem to be consistent either. Sometimes I'll power it up and it's better than other times. This thing is really getting on my nerves now.
Aside from the obvious like a poor connection to the receiver battery or esc whichever the case,,,,bad switch,,,,antenna wire grounding on the chassis, jeez dude I feel for ya, I hate those kinds of problems.

Think back when you converted,,, did you change anything, the way the wires run, something alittle closer to something? I changed my truck around once and caused myself the same headache,,,I ended up changing it around again and the gliching is gone. I did something different, ran some wire or something and it got best its ever been.. I wish I could say more, but this is all I got for ya. Sorry....I do know we got alot going on in these rigs, which seems like interference waitin for opportunity to me.
Last edited by year1camaro; Mar 10, 2008 at 10:11 PM.