SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 23, 2008, 10:54 PM
Kansas City
Joined Jul 2006
164 Posts
I actually threw the FPV on a tank idea by the paintball tank guys about a year ago. They all pretty much hated the idea. Saying it will be too bumpy or at the rates the other guys fire it would take too long to aim.....But then again, I was pretty interested in FPV on R/C cars around then and its taken this long for everyone else to come around

It is very good to see so many people now interested in ground based FPV now.
Endurance is offline Find More Posts by Endurance
Last edited by Endurance; Jan 24, 2008 at 09:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:36 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, MT, Missoula
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
You would think the Tank R/cer's would already be doing FPV battles . I could see a group of FPV tanks, heli's, Hummers, planes etc all playing a war game on some big lot FPV future looks promising
Crash9 is offline Find More Posts by Crash9
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:54 PM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,274 Posts
One thing I've been thinking about in those types of situations, though, would be frequency control for the video. The 2.4GHz systems I've seen typically have 4-8 channels, and the 900MHz systems I've seen have four (only one is legal to operate in the US!). Somebody turns on a TX on the wrong channel and someone's video could go crazy. Jamming enemy communications . This isn't nearly as big of a deal with cars and tanks as it could be with planes, though.
Mr.Pibb is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Pibb
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 24, 2008, 03:25 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Yeah I don't think our gear would work other then 4 players, maybe 8. Never know what the future might be for FPV as new tech trickles down to us.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 10:13 PM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
RPV Roll Cage

Hey guys, finally finished the rough in of the cage for the RPV. The view from the cock pit is much better than with the hummer body, I think it'll stick. I made a short vid to show it as it is now,,,it'll look much better when finished. I also wasn't runnin the Moab tires so it's traction is very limited in the video.
Let me know what you think.

RPV Roll cage test (3 min 30 sec)
year1camaro is offline Find More Posts by year1camaro
Old Jan 27, 2008, 11:29 PM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,618 Posts
VERY VERY COOL! Actually looking more and more industrial It won't be long until we ask you for consultation on FPV automobile!
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Jan 28, 2008, 09:47 AM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTECH
VERY VERY COOL! Actually looking more and more industrial It won't be long until we ask you for consultation on FPV automobile!
Thanks dude, it's nice to have your work appreciated. It started out stock just like everyone else on this thread, I just wanted to take it more places than stock would allow, so here is where I'm at today. If anyone does need any help or suggestions I'd be happy to give some input.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 11:50 AM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by year1camaro
Thanks dude, it's nice to have your work appreciated. It started out stock just like everyone else on this thread, I just wanted to take it more places than stock would allow, so here is where I'm at today. If anyone does need any help or suggestions I'd be happy to give some input.
The E-Maxx is looking good That's seems to happen to me alot also, hard to leave things stock .
Old Jan 28, 2008, 11:53 AM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Here's a fun way to get your downed aircraft on the ice .

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809333

Lac de Joux Adventure (6 min 19 sec)
Old Feb 06, 2008, 08:33 PM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Slow progress, finally got done painting the rollcage,,,,,,,anyone have any thing in the works to show?

Old Feb 06, 2008, 11:02 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Oh that looks nice!!

I just got a 900MHz system the other day from Range Video. I'm going to try that on my car to see if that helps with the multipathing. Seems to have less issues from the videos I've seen.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Feb 07, 2008, 10:56 AM
Ridgeway, Co.
Joined Dec 2007
132 Posts
That truck is looking good. Nice work.
FPVpilot is offline Find More Posts by FPVpilot
Old Feb 07, 2008, 10:57 AM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbostang
Oh that looks nice!!

I just got a 900MHz system the other day from Range Video. I'm going to try that on my car to see if that helps with the multipathing. Seems to have less issues from the videos I've seen.
I've been hearing this also about the 900mhz...I run 2.4 now but that might be in the future cause I hear that the 2.4 is bouncing all over the place on the ground and 900 would be better suited for ground use. Of course, now I have all this 2.4 equipment to get rid of,,, let me know if you thinit's alot better and worth the switch.
Old Feb 07, 2008, 11:23 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Crash did some comparison videos, using 2.4GHz and 900MHz for video. And it was pretty obvious that 900MHz had much less multipathing issues. It also goes through objects better, which can be important for FPV car use is you're navigating around walls, trees, etc.

Watt for Watt, 900MHz also has longer range. So I figured I'd try it out and see. For car use, I'm not concerned with getting "out of range". But for aerial use where I sometimes push the limit, it may help. I'll keep you updated with my progress.

BTW, I just realized... Ford and Chevy guys communicating in a rational discussion! How about that!!
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Feb 07, 2008, 05:08 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
That rig is coming along year1camaro.

I have to say that I rearly use the 2.4 gear anymore. You have to have more gear to get a good signal like 2 antennas and RXs so it's just simpler to use the 900. Not that I want to put down the 2.4 having 2 complete systems around here, it has better electronics IMO and when I have a buddy here they get to use the car with it .