Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:20 AM
FPV Pilot
United States, MT, Missoula
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pibb
You guys are killing me here. Like I don't already spend enough money on the planes, now I see this?!?
The RC cars can be fairly cheap when compared to some of my aircraft like the $200 P-51B I crashed on maiden . The one I started with RC/10 and is on sale for RTR $129 at times. The nice thing is using them for testing aircraft gear and having some fun when you can't fly .
Crash9 is offline Find More Posts by Crash9
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:35 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by year1camaro
As for the windshield, I have stiffer plexiglass and "Rain X" should keep the snow and water out of view.
How about some radio controlled windshield wipers.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:37 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash9
The one I started with RC/10 and is on sale for RTR $129 at times. The nice thing is using them for testing aircraft gear and having some fun when you can't fly .
Do you know anywhere to get the car and motor (less radio gear) for cheaper? Most of us doing this as FPV will probably end up using our airplane gear anyways.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:58 AM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbostang
Do you know anywhere to get the car and motor (less radio gear) for cheaper? Most of us doing this as FPV will probably end up using our airplane gear anyways.
The gear for airplane use is much cheaper,,,,line of sight helps alot! ebay would be a good source for used trucks. We will end up spending alot more cash for the trucks fpv video equipment, we are also building repeaters so there's more money. But if you look at the map I posted we are going further than the average bear and plan on going further as the prices drop on video stuff. Even more money to spend yet, cause we want to take this mobile. FPV other places with the trucks. We are gonna set up a system for in my jeep that can be placed back in the hobby room also. We figure we can four wheel in to the woods deeper and put the truck out of the jeep and go other places where the jeep can't go, should be fun. When we get down by the river it should be really cool, but as you can see it's pretty far away, so it's gonna take some time to do from the house.
year1camaro is offline Find More Posts by year1camaro
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:01 PM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Quote:
How about some radio controlled windshield wipers.
Now that would be cool, but how to build something like that and have it actually work is the challenge. I'm thinkin I'll just buy the same camera my partner has,,, it's water proof, but I'll have to mount the IR's on the outside of the body in order for the night vision to work properly.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:04 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Build some wipers out of rubber or something. And then just direct drive them from a servo. Have the servo set up on a toggle switch on your Tx. Switch UP to wipe across the windshield, and then switch back DOWN to return.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:20 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, MT, Missoula
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
That's a problem I had when looking for a 4x. Everything comes RTR exept the kits like This 4x buggy I was looking at getting once but there price is higher then a RTR . Another thing is I'm easier on the truck in FPV then I was in 3rd person view so keeping up on parts isn't so bad . If you find something let me know .
Crash9 is offline Find More Posts by Crash9
Old Jan 15, 2008, 03:28 PM
Kansas City
Joined Jul 2006
164 Posts
Yeah good luck finding non RTR cars these days. I love building kits but it seems that every manufacturer loves RTR's more.
Endurance is offline Find More Posts by Endurance
Old Jan 15, 2008, 03:32 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,278 Posts
It's just that it's what sells the most...
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Jan 15, 2008, 07:15 PM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurance
Yeah good luck finding non RTR cars these days. I love building kits but it seems that every manufacturer loves RTR's more.
I hear ya I that, HPI has a few, ofna, and then you have tamiya, which would not hold up to what I'm doin with and to the truck. In the hobby shop I work at everyone asks for rtr. No one wants to build them except the old school dudes from the tamiya days who are lookin to get back into the hobby. People are just generally lazy nowadays and want instant satisfaction.
It seems to me the hobby industry forgot about guys like me and I'm sure others who enjoy the build and appreciate the HOBBY itself and not just a toy to play with, get sick of,(to lazy to fix) and put in the garage or on ebay!

Are you listening TRAXXAS!!
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:22 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Crash: I'm still amazed at how smooth the E-Maxx is over those big boulders. You sure you don't have a hover board underneath that thing??
Old Jan 18, 2008, 03:50 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,278 Posts
Hehe, I just realised I could post that here...
http://francobelgedesign.com/framese...t_rc_fight.htm

It's 2 students from an art and design school who did that as a project, was pretty cool and the people liked
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Jan 18, 2008, 11:38 AM
UNREGISTERED USER :)
New York
Joined Apr 2007
773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
Hehe, I just realised I could post that here...
http://francobelgedesign.com/framese...t_rc_fight.htm

It's 2 students from an art and design school who did that as a project, was pretty cool and the people liked

ah I wish I could ride there! Pretty cool! Thanks for sharing!

damian
damian123 is offline Find More Posts by damian123
Old Jan 18, 2008, 01:56 PM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Quote:
Build some wipers out of rubber or something. And then just direct drive them from a servo. Have the servo set up on a toggle switch on your Tx. Switch UP to wipe across the windshield, and then switch back DOWN to return.
Still looking for a good wiper. I think I'm gonna loose the hummer body this weekend and build a tube chassis for the truck instead, the view should be much better from the cockpit and make the truck easier to control. I'll be using 3/8 brake line this time instead of the 5/16 on the crawler.

http://gman-rc.spaces.live.com/photos/cns!A19C00E339D1961D!245/?startingImageIndex=30&commentsExpand=0&addComment Expand=0&addCommentFocus=0&pauseSlideshow=0
Old Jan 18, 2008, 08:41 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
That's a LONG link! lol Very cool idea using brake line for a roll cage!