SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 13, 2008, 09:13 PM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash9
Soft suspension, big poofy tires and weight even on-road .
Yes your right about the suspension, that's exactly why. I'm on 90 acres, the house next to mine is gone now. The one to the left is empty except the summer months. Do whatever you want really. It's nice, and the river offers a 25ft waterfall and some nice swimming holes. We hope to get some river footage soon, we are tryin to go mobile with this soon too, should be interesting.
year1camaro is offline Find More Posts by year1camaro
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2008, 03:30 AM
FPV Pilot
United States, MT, Missoula
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Here's a video I did with the E-Maxx , backyard off-roading....Wind is blowing so no flying today (good thing I went flying yesterday ).
So I got to test my red E-Maxx truck (900mhz) in FPV in my backyard today . The kids got to drive the black RC10 truck (2.4ghz) in FPV while I followed them around . We're seated in the garage with 2 monitors, one for each truck and at anytime we can glance over and see what the other driver is watching. This is handy when your stuck or need a spotters view . also there s a couple of Back-Seat Drivers hanging around giving us there expert advice .
The E-Maxx is a blast but drives like a tank so don't expect any sharp turns. I may have to get a rear steer kit so it can have 4 wheel steering for tighter turns .

Gear used:
Hobby Wireless's 2.4ghz and 900mhz FPV video system

Radios:
(E-maxx) Futaba 9c w/Spektrum 2.4 module RX AR7000
(RC10) Spektrum DX7 & AR7000 RX

Cameras: KX-151

Video has Offensive Language Parental Warning

FPV Backyard Off-Road w/E-Maxx 4x4 Truck (3 min 47 sec)
Crash9 is offline Find More Posts by Crash9
Last edited by Crash9; Jan 15, 2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:38 AM
Ridgeway, Co.
Joined Dec 2007
132 Posts
That was cool Crash , the emaxx seems to be a smoother ride for the camera. Is the pan and tilt set up the same as your other one?
FPVpilot is offline Find More Posts by FPVpilot
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:56 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2007
1,207 Posts
Very cool video! thats really smooth, and really good quality link!
Mark Harris is offline Find More Posts by Mark Harris
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:20 PM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Go Crash9! I know your lovin the emaxx. Couple things, emaxx steering servos stink as do the servo savers. There are no bearings in the steering linkage either, adding them helps along with a good steering servo and servo saver. You shouldnt have any steering problems after you upgrade those pieces. My axles are locked therefore I had to go with four wheel steering or I wouldn't be turning inside 6 feet! I don't think there are any four wheel steering kits you can buy and bolt on, but you can check. Like I said thou, with a few upgrade to the system you should have any problems with open diffs.
It snowed here last night, my partner came up and we did some night RPVin in the snow!!! Footage came out real nice. I'll post some as soon as I do a little editing. I think you guys are gonna love this run,, it looks so cool at night with during the snow fall!
Old Jan 14, 2008, 01:32 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVpilot
That was cool Crash , the emaxx seems to be a smoother ride for the camera. Is the pan and tilt set up the same as your other one?
It's the same set-up
Old Jan 14, 2008, 01:36 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by year1camaro
Go Crash9! I know your lovin the emaxx. Couple things, emaxx steering servos stink as do the servo savers. There are no bearings in the steering linkage either, adding them helps along with a good steering servo and servo saver. !
Thanks for the info, I wondered about that steering servo, it's slow and barely turns when I'm stopped. Your right there's no kit out there but looks easy to mod . The peg legger open diff needs to go .
Old Jan 14, 2008, 02:03 PM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash9
Thanks for the info, I wondered about that steering servo, it's slow and barely turns when I'm stopped. Your right there's no kit out there but looks easy to mod . The peg legger open diff needs to go .
If your gonna run on pavement alot I wouldn't go with locked axles, even with four wheel steer. It puts alot of stress on the driveline while on pavement. You could however throw some really thick diff oil in and make it act more like a posi,,,,maybe 100,000 weight? If it has the stock old style axles you will twist em up in a week I bet. Just friendly advice. Enjoy! how ever you decide to juice it up.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 08:13 PM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Here is some video of the night snow run. We ended up taking 1.7GB of footage last night. It was alot of fun. By the way I don't have night vision in the Hummer, I'm controlling the truck from the same perspective your watchin in the video.

FPV E Maxx Night Snow Run (3 min 34 sec)
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:36 AM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by year1camaro
Here is some video of the night snow run. We ended up taking 1.7GB of footage last night. It was alot of fun. By the way I don't have night vision in the Hummer, I'm controlling the truck from the same perspective your watchin in the video.
So let me see if I got it right , your looking at the Hummer through the camera truck that's videoing the Hummer allowing you to see what your doing as you drive the Hummer around. Sounds like 4th person view lol . I wondered how you could see through that Hummers windshield when I watched the video . Your not

Posi in the E-maxx would be better . I did some rock crawling tonite with flashlights all over the thing and it was fun but watching 1 wheel spin in the air sucks . Remines me of a Full- size stock 4x .
Old Jan 15, 2008, 01:54 AM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
I found some cool pics of a guy who mounted some lights on his Buggy I need something like this .
Old Jan 15, 2008, 08:02 AM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,275 Posts
You guys are killing me here. Like I don't already spend enough money on the planes, now I see this?!?

Hmm...my son turns 6 in March...maybe I could justify buying both of us some RC trucks.

Of course, then I'm going to need some additional video gear.

My wife's going to cut off my access to this forum.

I really like the 4x4's in the woods with the snow at night. It's like a winter expedition! Was it hard to tell where you were?
Mr.Pibb is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Pibb
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 15, 2008, 08:20 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,357 Posts
Traxxas and Tamaya put out some products that hit the price point. You have a few other names out there like Losi and Associated. I'm not sure what your budget is, but check a few of them out. I know my onroad car was about $150'ish after everything was said and done.. That includes a few hop-ups!

Hmm now that I think about it, a FPV Losi mini racer might be fun at the office..
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:03 AM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pibb
You guys are killing me here. Like I don't already spend enough money on the planes, now I see this?!?
Hmm...my son turns 6 in March...maybe I could justify buying both of us some RC trucks.
Of course, then I'm going to need some additional video gear.
My wife's going to cut off my access to this forum.
I really like the 4x4's in the woods with the snow at night. It's like a winter expedition! Was it hard to tell where you were?
It can be hard to tell where you are at times, but it's usually when we go off the log trails. We tried using a compass, but I think the one I bought was junk. For the most part you always know about where you are.
Now as for summer, well that's a different story. When all the foliage grows back in it takes a bit more to navigate. Right now we are looking into GPS along with OSD from range video. It will be about a 500.00 upgrade in the end I think. I'll have to hide that purchase from the little woman. The green stuff grows tall in the woods, your truck feels smaller, but it's still a blast!
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:08 AM
RPV of DOOM
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
[QUOTE=Crash9]So let me see if I got it right , your looking at the Hummer through the camera truck that's videoing the Hummer allowing you to see what your doing as you drive the Hummer around. Sounds like 4th person view lol . I wondered how you could see through that Hummers windshield when I watched the video . Your not

LOL,,,,you have it right,,,,no not much to see there. I'm gonna get my night vision up soon. I'm gonna mount the IR's in the driving light location on the body. As for the windshield, I have stiffer plexiglass and "Rain X" should keep the snow and water out of view.