HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2010, 04:38 PM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,080 Posts
Wow dude, I think you posted pics a while back and got everyone drooling then too. All the aluminum thats an amazing piece of engineering you have.

We need the video online asap I dont care if you think its no good, I wanna see how it works!
aaron_gx is offline Find More Posts by aaron_gx
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2010, 05:09 PM
Central Connecticut
Joined Jan 2010
416 Posts
Heh, 1:34... wait! pretty girl! come baaaack!!

A female friend of mine already jokes that I've made some sort of upskirt truck... but I got to say there's no good way to charm the ladies when you're sitting on a park bench wearing Jordi LaForge's track suit and fiddling around with a controller.
HariEdo is offline Find More Posts by HariEdo
Old Sep 13, 2010, 05:45 PM
Technician Steve
Rochester
Joined Jan 2010
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HariEdo View Post
Heh, 1:34... wait! pretty girl! come baaaack!!

A female friend of mine already jokes that I've made some sort of upskirt truck... but I got to say there's no good way to charm the ladies when you're sitting on a park bench wearing Jordi LaForge's track suit and fiddling around with a controller.
LOL, so true, so true
Stylish187 is offline Find More Posts by Stylish187
Old Sep 13, 2010, 07:16 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,344 Posts
Stylish187

are you from Rochester NY....

thats a nice open field to play with you got there....
very nice!
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:21 PM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,080 Posts
cool video - looks like a nice platform for 4x4ing!
Old Sep 14, 2010, 03:13 AM
Technician Steve
Rochester
Joined Jan 2010
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
Stylish187

are you from Rochester NY....

thats a nice open field to play with you got there....
very nice!

Hi rclab.

Im from Rochester, Kent, UK

The nice view in the pics is the South Downs.
Stylish187 is offline Find More Posts by Stylish187
Old Sep 14, 2010, 06:45 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,344 Posts
Stylish187.

sorry bouts' that, wrong country and state :-)

that is one nice ride you got there....shiney! :-)
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Sep 30, 2010, 03:53 AM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
Old school Tamiya Lunch Box

DragonLink
900mhz Video
360 pan servo

Going to run 4000mAh 2s

Still not complete

Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Last edited by Kev.au; Sep 30, 2010 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Added pics
Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:22 PM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.au View Post
Old school Tamiya Lunch Box

DragonLink
900mhz Video
360 pan servo

Going to run 4000mAh 2s

Still not complete

That is very very cool! Looks brand new, have you had it since day one? I would be concerned with a roll-over. Just one wrong move, and hours of work gets trashed. Ask me how I know
Old Sep 30, 2010, 01:52 PM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
Yea, it's new, but was originally released in 1987. I fell in love with them when i was a wee fella back in 88(my mate had one) so i thought i'd buy one, 20+ years latter hahaha.

yea, i might make a roll cage for the camera, this is more of a test rig to see if i enjoy it.

Cheers, Kev.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 02:27 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.au View Post
Yea, it's new, but was originally released in 1987. I fell in love with them when i was a wee fella back in 88(my mate had one) so i thought i'd buy one, 20+ years latter hahaha.
I remember the Lunch Box from a long time ago. Also the Bigfoot truck, Grasshopper, and Monster Beetle. I bought a Tamiya Falcon back when I was 12 or 13 years old. Boy did I run that thing through the ringer! I don't think there's any original parts left on it anymore. Broke just about everything that could be broke. haha

But then of course, a few years back I had to dig it up out of the basement, and convert it into an FPV car. I think I have a video somewhere way way way back near the beginning of this thread. Here it is again though...

FPV Falcon 1 (4 min 33 sec)
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Oct 01, 2010, 11:15 PM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
To cool TwinTurbo, something about the old school rc cars that really interests me.

aaron, thanks for the roll cage idea, i went ahead last night and made one.

Every sticker a had available got used, lol.

Might notice 19 3mm holes in the side, going to poke some red leds through.

Cheers, Kev.
Old Oct 02, 2010, 10:40 AM
From trucks to planes
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Sep 2005
194 Posts
Hey guys, just thought I'd stop by and say hello. Been skimming the entire thread over the past couple of days, very cool and interesting stuff! I originally found Wobby's Long distance Road and Track video and couldn't stop searching and watching more! I really liked the two truck FPV videos off in the trails and snow, very cool!

So I ended up with a Summit somehow (ok I was dumb enough to drop $500 ) past February after these videos and decided to do FPV for myself. The costs seemed high to enter so I left it alone, until recently. I did some basic research off this thread and others and decided to go on the basic setup side of things.

$50 - 800 mw Sunsky 1.2Ghz tx/rx
$110 - MyVu video goggles (I'll get all that fancy head tracking type later on)
$49 - cmos security camera w/ 9V plug, (Fry's Electronics store)
Stock Traxxas 27Mhz 4ch radio (so no pan-tilt, maybe a pan servo sharing steering channel to start out)
Possibly brass tube on Traxxas Rx antenna to extend range
Future testing - my Futaba 6EXA 72Mhz plane radio with Hitec 555 receiver or proper 6ch full range dual conversion receiver

I don't have the patience level or more importantly fab skills some of you folks have demonstrated, but I'm hoping I can make myself a nice wooden board setup to mount everything on, so I can make it FPV or bash truck depending on the needs (my mood).

I've got a nice park literally across the block from my home, gonna be making my way through to it and around the wooded area for some off-road crawling once I get better and better (and the equipment/range troubleshooted).

Can't wait for the ebay stuff to arrive any day now (after the weekend unfortunately) and do some initial testing!

So far I've decided on keeping the Summit stock, after getting 45 minute runtimes on 14.8v 3700 mah lipos when crawling in that same wooded area (wow was it FUN all itself). As monster of a motor the 775 is, looks like you guys with BL motors with half the torque are still getting tremendous runtime gains (more so than I imagined at least). I briefly tried a couple of motors in it, but found them to heat up (fat tires don't help). I may try again with just 2s lipo and see how that works for crawling only.

EDIT: So I just got the "MyVu" goggle/visor. Unfortunately, the way it works/shaped, I cannot wear it with my eye-glasses. If I don't use eye-glasses, my vision is blurry (I'm near-sighted). Do you have any suggestions on what other video goggle supports glasses, or one that lets you adjust the vision w/o glasses? I may just sell this one and get most of my money back, lesson learnt. Hah.
Slo-V Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Slo-V Flyer
Last edited by Slo-V Flyer; Oct 02, 2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2010, 04:16 AM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts

Old Oct 04, 2010, 09:23 AM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,080 Posts
wow kev.au, nice setup!!! Love the roll-cage, thats gonna save you a ton of unnecesary fixing! Cant wait to see the video!!!