SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 04, 2001, 10:25 AM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
Another T-52 Success Story

I just had to post one of those "T-52s are Great" posts. (One must have Zagi/T-52 posting balance to maintain forum harmony. )

I started this hobby flying a stock T-52 January 1 of this year. The docile nature and crash-resiliency of the stock plane allowed me to learn how to fly and allowed me to try different GB and prop combos and CG placements without worrying too much about mishaps.
Quite honestly, though, it's kind of hard to have mishaps with this plane. It's just too stable.

Nonetheless, after learning the basics of flying and getting an idea of how gearing and prop sizes and CG placement affect the feel of the plane. I decided to make an aileron wing. I needed a new challenge.

Well, I tested out my new wing this morning (in less than perfect conditions - 8-10 MPH winds with some gusting) and it flew great. I even successfully did some rolls on the second flight.I had practiced them on FMS a while ago and had a good idea of how to work the stick, but my faith in the durability of the plane allowed me to try rolling in the real world. My biggest problems were the landings where I was over controlling and stalling the wing. Nonetheless, two crashes that separated the wing from the fuselage resulted in no damage whatsoever.

I know it has been said before, but the T-52 is really a great trainer. JKA should probably even think about packaging it with two wings and market it as a complete training kit where you start out with the stock dihedral wing and then progress to an aileron wing.

Now, to get more stick time and start building my E-plane.

Mitch

Mitch G is offline Find More Posts by Mitch G
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2001, 10:34 AM
I'm disoriented!
Mt. Laurel, NJ, USA
Joined Aug 2000
948 Posts
Mitch,

Another beginner learns to fly on the T-52. I wonder how many there are of us?

Try an 800AR pack and a 7x4 prop on a 480 motor. Rocks!

Chris
ChrisD is offline Find More Posts by ChrisD
Old May 04, 2001, 11:05 AM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Great news Mitch. Were you flying @ Lucent this morning? I'm here & have my Hot Cat too. I was thinking about heading outside this afternoon. Weatherbug shows almost wind now.
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
Old May 17, 2001, 09:39 PM
crystal lake illinois
Joined Nov 2000
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sal C:
Great news Mitch. Were you flying @ Lucent this morning? I'm here & have my Hot Cat too. I was thinking about heading outside this afternoon. Weatherbug shows almost wind now.
HI Sal:
Is "weatherbug" a local weather dite for Chicago or can one get closer weather(wind reviews)
TV broadcasts indicate mild winds and its like 25 mph out here in Crystal Lake.
How can one get closer to home?
Sambo
sambo is offline Find More Posts by sambo
Old May 18, 2001, 04:09 PM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
Go to www.weatherbug.com and download the software. They have stations all over the place. When I entered Crystal Lake's zipcode (60014) I saw stations in Cary, Elgin, Mundelein, and Palatine to name a few.

Mitch
Mitch G is offline Find More Posts by Mitch G
Old May 18, 2001, 10:16 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
What he said...
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C