HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2007, 05:31 PM
Joined Jul 2007
8,704 Posts
Discussion
Lipos on commercial aircraft

I an going on holidays tomorrow morning and am thinking of taking the T-Rex 450 heli with me. Is there a problem with having lipos on the plane? Iv got 8 in the alum case. Your help would be appreciated.
Zootster is online now Find More Posts by Zootster
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2007, 05:41 PM
Springfield, Illinois
Joined Oct 2006
64 Posts
Hey how are you? I would say probably not okay. I know here in the states that you can't have lipos delivered via airmail. Only way is by surface transport. A fire risk with a lipo battery is a real possibility, and fire + airplane full of people= Bad News. You might try calling the airline to see what they say, especially since you're in Australia. Good luck and Happy Holidays!
Trevor
trevormatney is offline Find More Posts by trevormatney
Old Dec 19, 2007, 06:41 PM
Killeen, TX
Joined Jul 2006
624 Posts
I flew several times last year and this year with them in carryon as well as checked luggage. Only on the last flight in July did someone say something, and it was the Xray guy at Tocumen in Panama, Panama. Maybe it was because I was carrying about 8 pounds of 6S2P batteries in carry-on luggage? He let it pass anyway...

I don't know what tomorrow's regulations will be. My luck is to usually find out of a new regulation on the way to the airport.
AMA Outlaw is offline Find More Posts by AMA Outlaw
Old Dec 19, 2007, 06:49 PM
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
[q]Maybe it was because I was carrying about 8 pounds of 6S2P batteries in carry-on luggage? He let it pass anyway...
[/q]Scary. Not because of the lipos but because I bet he had no real idea that they were not something more nefarious disguised as lipos!
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Old Dec 19, 2007, 07:11 PM
EMB Jungle Jet Jockey
Georgetown, IN across the Ohio River from Louisville, KY
Joined Oct 2004
139 Posts
Lipos are ok as checked and carry-ons. You can still take your cell phone and laptop on board right? You should also be able to carry-on your TX, but you might get hassled over it. Just make sure you dont turn it on in flight, wouldn't really hurt anything any way.

Being a airline pilot, this stuff does scare the crap out of me. Only a matter of time before a plane is brought down from lipo's.
summerkc is offline Find More Posts by summerkc
Old Dec 19, 2007, 08:18 PM
Flying 3 mistakes high
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,522 Posts
I would be concerned about it. Commercial items like laptops etc. might use lithium battery technology, but they have over volts, under volts and over current protection circuitry built in on the pack.
Our packs have no protection circuitry as we want max power. Also our packs are generally soldered to connectors at home etc. so there is little control.
Once I took a domestic flight from Melbourne with batteries as carry on. I told them at the check in counter about it and they couldnt match the description of my batteries to their reference chart. In the end the put the batteries in the hold for the flight.
Glenn.
GlennS is offline Find More Posts by GlennS
Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:38 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennS
I would be concerned about it. Commercial items like laptops etc. might use lithium battery technology, but they have over volts, under volts and over current protection circuitry built in on the pack.
True, but remember a year or two ago there were a bunch of recalls because of safety concerns.

For my money, I'd rather have them as carry on. If there is an incident, it could be better controlled in the cabin than in the cargo area.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:52 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2007
569 Posts
bring a small ammo can?
ToxicBanana is offline Find More Posts by ToxicBanana
Old Dec 19, 2007, 11:01 PM
"Each Day Is A Lesson"
Goldsboro, NC
Joined May 2004
2,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicBanana
bring a small ammo can?
Trying to get on a plane with a "AMMO CAN". I can see that now.

You'll arrive next summer.

DD
diver don is offline Find More Posts by diver don
Old Dec 20, 2007, 04:47 AM
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver don

DD
Heh, yeah it says ammo can on it, has wires coming out of the packs inside, and they look a lot like plastic explosive wrapped up Then offer to show the guy the receiver, but call it detonator by mistake
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Old Dec 20, 2007, 08:58 AM
Mr. Reliability
Chesapeake, Va.
Joined Jul 2006
95 Posts
In flight risk from Lipo air transport

Because of their potential, lipos should not be considered for transport in aircraft, in my opinion. The primary reason isn't whether they will or will not create an issue during transport, but what would happen if they did (risk).

An inflight fire in the cabin is one of the most deadly aircraft incidents, and has been responsible for several air disasters in the last ten years. In one, a person brought a small container of gasoline and a motorcycle battery in his carryon after off road riding, (yes it is true) it spilled in the overhead compartment and caused a fire, causing the plane to make an emergency landing just in time to avoid a crash. The other recent event was the Swissair in cabin fire was caused by the VCR used for inflight movies shorting out wiring, which spread to the point in a very short time that the pilots lost control.

An inflight fire spreads very, very quickly and cannot be controlled easily. It is one of the greatest fears of the flight crew. It puts many people who are traveling in great danger - who wants to be responsible for this, just for a hobby?

So, in my opinion, the risk is the real concern, not whether they will catch fire or not because of how they're stored or handled when traveling.

Rick
NTSB Academy (Aircraft Accident Investigator) Graduate
Lithuanian Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Lithuanian Flyer
Old Dec 20, 2007, 09:09 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2007
569 Posts
also, grab a lipo, stab it, toss it some where, allah akbar
ToxicBanana is offline Find More Posts by ToxicBanana
Old Dec 20, 2007, 09:12 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Funny, I have had air shipments of lipos from suppliers. There is no DOT or ORM labeling required for them.

A lipo, IF it goes off catostrophically, generates one fireball and that is it. Materials used in aircraft cabins are supposed to be fire retardant. And in flight fires spread no faster than anyother fire, and less so than most due to the nature of the materials used.

Yes, make sure your connectors are taped to prevent shorting, but otherwise no more dangerous than the people on board.

Carrying gasoline on board should never have been allowed. It is prohibited, even as checked (it DOES require DOT/ORM labeling).

The Swiss air crash was due to the type of insulation used on the wiring.

There have been a couple of reports of TSA screeners not allowing them on, but it seems very rare, and checked is OK.

If you carry on your transmitter, it may be subject to additonal screening, just like a laptop (removed from the case, Xrayed separately, and maybe swabbed). Plan on an extra 5 minutes for this.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Dec 20, 2007, 09:29 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver don

DD
LMAO!!! Now THAT was funny. Now I have to wipe down the keyboard.
IPFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IPFlyer
Old Dec 20, 2007, 09:31 AM
Mr. Reliability
Chesapeake, Va.
Joined Jul 2006
95 Posts
The "lipo fireball" would probably be inside a carryon bag with flammable material in a compartment with other flammable material such as clothing, etc. The risk is not just the fireball against flame retardant aircraft material.
Imagine a Lipo fire in an overhead luggage compartment - would you want to be on the plane that experiences this event? Remember, your decision puts others at risk, it's not like burning down your workbench in your garage.

There already have been numerous close calls due to batteries and air transport. The attached summary of battery related incidents put together by the NTSB provides insight into some of these incidents. There currently is no restriction for these items, but if they continue to generate a concern about their risk, some limitations may be imposed regarding their transport.
Lithuanian Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Lithuanian Flyer